Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ef2d4cd11df9fc1a60d29f100dc50b50Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

OH - Vulkon: Oct 20-21

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Events -> Mission Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krash

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: OH - Vulkon: Oct 20-21 Reply with quote

As posted on starwars.com...

Well after months of charity-related events, it was good to get back to some good old fashioned sci-fi nerdy events! And that's exactly what some Ohio members of Midwest Base and Ohio Garrison did last weekend.

Over the last few years, we'd been trying to get involved with a local sci-fi convenention in the Cleveland area, known as Vulkon. As the name suggests, the weekend con has a heavy Star Trek emphasis (along with Buffy, SG1, and Babylon 5)...and we wanted to bring something Star Wars to the scene. Well, it would seem that some of the new management would agree...cause they contacted us. r2leia

Being our "First Contact" the plan was to keep it simple: we'd have various rebel and imperial characters stationed at various "guard duty" stations and host a panel on Star Wars costuming (and SW fandom in general) on Saturday. It helps when the person who contacts us is a member of Ra Kura Base (Florida) and can help keep the "aggressive negotiations" to a minimum. Afterall, this was just gonna be a walk in the park for us...right?

Vulkon pictures

Guess again! Our panel, titled "Star Wars: From Alderaan to Zabrak" was (according to Vulkon staff) had the highest attendance for the weekend schedule...thanks in no small part to the all-star team of Star Wars costuming and general knowledge experts we had. Add to that a live demonstration by Feezle and MasterOfPupets of their lightsaber duel from this summer's Cincy Pops concert, and we brought the house down...with only one lightsaber damaged in the process.

See, I've always been a big fan of both Star Wars and Star Trek...so the chance to have both genre of fans interacting was alot of fun for me. Back in what many fans consider "the dark times" from ROTJ - the release of Heir to the Empire I used to read all the Trek comics, books and movies...it was the only NEW sci-fi out there. I spent most of the day on "guard duty" and I must have talked with dozens of people about everything from the difference between proton and photon torpedoes, and having one of the Vulkon staff members give me his theory on what's wrong with the prequels. (there's 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back) dizzy

Another cool thing about Vulkon was that we had at least three guys make their OG debut trooping with us. tk To them and the rest of our crew from both Saturday and Sunday, I'll borrow a line from Star Trek III (ironic, given the venue of the event)

"Gentlemen, your work today has been outstanding and I intend to recommend you all for promotion... in whatever fleet we end up serving." - James T. Kirk
hofmann (Matt Hofmann)
Legion Events Coordinator
Legion Events Coordinator

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That picture of you and Alex with Kirk and Spock is a trip, Krash. I love it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Events -> Mission Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: