Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=aad15f18555168e01a390b9d7b1fd943Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

[New] Han Solo - Solo: A Star Wars Story
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> DB94 Standards Development -> DB94 New Standards In Progress
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coryphefish (Corellon J)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: [New] Han Solo - Solo: A Star Wars Story Reply with quote

Up to date Oct 17, 2018

Exact measurements need to be replaced if possible because we're not all Han Solo sized, and a good costume standard will help everyone make a costume that looks good on them.

(This is for the outfit with the brown jacket.)

Jacket –
1. Tan to dark tan suede, black suede panels at the shoulders and contrast stitching.
2. The Jacket is waist length
3. The front of the jacket features
a. a placket approximately 1.5 ” wide
b. a panel directly next to the placket approximately 1.5” wide featuring a pen pocket, 5.5" long and a hem approximately 2.75” from the bottom,
i. The Pen Pocket has a mitered corner and a hem approx. 1.75” from the top
ii. There is a rectangular stitch detail (1.25" x.5") about 1/4” above the pen pocket overlapping the placket
c. Another panel divided horizontally at the shoulder into a black suede shoulder patch.
i. The lower half of the panel features an inset slash pocket with an approximately 1” welt.
ii. The Left front panel features a greeblie or id badge cut-out. (1.5 x 2.625)
iii. There are two rectangular stitch details, on just above the hem line and the other about 5/8” of below the bottom of the pen pocket (1.25" x.5")
4. Seams are topstitched with lighter tan contrast stitching
5. The jacket has a mandarin collar approximately 2” in length.
6. The Jacket features a (3" x?) utility pocket with a 2" flap on the right arm.
7. The sleeve features a topstitched back seam and approximately 4” cuffs and an angled seam detail on the underside of the sleeve.
8. The back of the jacket features
a. A black suede yoke
b. Tucks on either side of the back with adjustable buckles/straps
c. A center seam
d. A waistband approximately 3” from the bottom

Shirt
1. Faded black or charcoal smuggler style long-sleeved shirt worn tucked into the pants.
a. Front has a rectangular bib with seams on the bottom and both sides which continue down to bottom of hem.
b. The corners on the upper sides of the bib open diagonally, creating flaps when open.
c. The inside of the top panel of the bib appears to made of a darker black contrast material than the shirt
d. The shirt appears to have a manadarin collar the same material as the inside bib panel.

Pants
1. Dark Navy to Midnight pocketless fitted pants with accurate bloodstripes
a. Printed or heat transfer vinyl or similar
b. Brick red in color with a dark brown or black wash to darken them.
c. The pants are a wool material.
d. Bloodstripes are applied to a strip of material and then applied to the pants rather than applied directly.

Belt
1. Black leather belt punctured entirely with rows of three holes and a two-prong buckle

Boots
1. Black equestrian-type knee-high boots with No visible zipper on the boots
a. The boots feature a a buckle on the outside of the boot extending from the back to the front.

Gunbelt
2. Accurate leather gunbelt and buckles with UNCAPPED holster, correct tools and proper droid caller. The gun belt is similar in configuration to the ANH gun belt except
a. It features, only four sets of snaps rather than six on the back.
b. The "sparklet" belt tool is silver rather than green
c. Holster is uncapped.
d. There is a keeper on the leg strap
e. Buckles are of slightly different dimensions. Most notably, the top and bottom sides of the front buckle are equal in length as opposed the the bottom being slightly shorter on the ANH buckle. The Back buckle is generally wider than the ANH back buckle.

- An individual who did not so much rebel as saunter vaguely hopewards.

2018/19: Commanding Officer, Docking Bay 94 Detachment
2017/18: DXO DB94, BMO Freedom Base

Last edited by coryphefish (Corellon J) on Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:47 am; edited 11 times in total
YunSolo92 ()

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/JeffreyScalise/status/964289874949017600

Just thought this would help, at least so far as the brown jacket/black shirt outfit.
coryphefish (Corellon J)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YunSolo92 wrote:
https://twitter.com/JeffreyScalise/status/964289874949017600

Just thought this would help, at least so far as the brown jacket/black shirt outfit.

Yeah that's what I was getting at with "bloodstripes aren't red, the toy lied to you." But I added the "very dark blue" verbiage, thanks!

CaptainTightpantsCosplay ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my breakdown from another thread

Jacket – Han wears a tan jacket with dark brown contrast panels at the shoulder
1. Han’s jacket appears to be a tan suede and dark brown suede panels at the shoulders and contrast stitching.
2. The Jacket is waist length
3. The front of the jacket features
a. a placket approximately 1.5 ” wide
b. a panel directly next to the placket approximately 1.5” wide featuring a pen pocket, 5.5" long and a hem approximately 2.75” from the bottom,
i. The Pen Pocket has a mitered corner and a hem approx. 1.75” from the top
ii. There is a rectangular stitch detail (1.25" x.5") about 1/4” above the pen pocket overlapping the placket
c. Another panel divided horizontally at the shoulder into a black suede shoulder patch.
i. The lower half of the panel features an inset slash pocket with an approximately 1” welt.
ii. The Left front panel features a greeblie or id badge cut-out. (1.5 x 2.625)
iii. There are two rectangular stitch details, on just above the hem line and the other about 5/8” of below the bottom of the pen pocket (1.25" x.5")
4. Seams are topstitched with lighter tan contrast stitching
5. The jacket has a mandarin collar approximately 2” in length.
6. The Jacket features a (3" x?) utility pocket with a 2" flap on the right arm.
7. The sleeve feature a topstitched back seam and approximately 4” cuffs
8. The back of the jacket features
a. A black or dark brown suede yoke
b. Tucks on either side of the back with adjustable buckles/straps
c. A center seam
d. A waistband approximately 3” from the bottom

Pants
1. Dark Navy to Midnight pocketless fitted pants with accurate bloodstripes
a. bloodstripes appear to be brick vinyl heat transfers in a dark brick to rust red
i. There is phot evidence of another pair of pants that mey be black with grey to tan bloodstripes (Han may wear two pairs of pants)
Boots
1. Black leather belt punctured entirely with rows of three holes and a two-prong buckle

Boots
1. Black equestrian-type knee-high boots with No visible zipper on the boots

Gunbelt
2. Accurate leather gunbelt and buckles with capped holster, correct tools and proper droid caller
a. Appears to be ANH configuration and tools

coryphefish (Corellon J)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I promise I saw it earlier, but I'm also running around starting 12 projects at once. You're all keeping me sane!

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries! I got your back!

coryphefish wrote:
Thank you! I promise I saw it earlier, but I'm also running around starting 12 projects at once. You're all keeping me sane!
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay some thoughts on the colors of the S:ASWS costume based on a summary of the discussions happening the facebook groups

1. The jacket

The jacket color has been kind of vexing in that it appears to vary colors in different photos. In some photos it appears to be a tan with reddish undertone and in shadow it appears to be a darker tan. The shoulder panels also appear to be slightly varying in shade, in some they appear black, in others a dark brown. Other have stated that they are in reality a dark blue suede, due to how black photographs. Consequently, for approval, colors should range from tan to dark tan and shoulder panels should range from dark brown or dark blue to black. He may also be wearing the two-tone shirt and the trousers with the tan stripe at some point as well.

2. The pants

The color of pants have also proved to be problematic as well. The initial photographs, seemed to indicate the the pants were a black with grey/tan (taupe) stripes. The toys all had blue pants with red stripes, similar to the ANH trousers.

A tweet from Glyn Dillon clarified that the pants were a dark midnight blue with a dark red stripe. This was backed up by the entertainment weekly cover and the movie theater standee.

the problem remains that in several photographs the pants appear to have a grey or tan stripe with possibly yellow undertones (taupe?). The movie theater standee seems to back this up as well. This could be a glare from a high gloss on the pant bloodstripes, but it also may be the actual color.

Consequently we theorize, that Han may actually be wearing two different pairs of pants during the film. Which frankly makes sense considering the reshoots and the frequency with which character have been swapping out wardrobes in recent SW movies. (Cassian has 6 distinct looks in R1). This would also explain the shirt situation. He has two different but closely related outfits. One with midnight blue pants and dark red (rust to maroon) stripes and the two tone shirt as seen in the promo materials and some film stills and one with the monochromatic black shirt and midnight blue trousers with the grey/tan stripes as seen in other film stills.

Whew...I hope this makes sense
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. We know without a doubt that Han has more than one costume in this movie. Heck, he has more than one in the TRAILER! Same with Qi-Ra. I think it's highly likely that we're going to need to wait for the movie before we can know some things with any certainty.

SOME outfits can be nailed down pretty nicely. But there will still be questions about others.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some further thoughts on the blood stripes that may explain the color variation

So, I went forward with my plan to use heat transfer brick vinyl, Airbrushed with a bronze, and then painted over with a high gloss finish. I found that they were far too bright so I, hit them with a coat of acrylic on top to darken them up. The effect was astounding, dark brick red in normal light, but when exposed to bright light either directly or an angle, the stripes reflect white

kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing.

Also, I could like to buy a set. How much? LOL

(kidding... unless you're actually willing!)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Costume Standard Draft: "Solo" Han Reply with quote

coryphefish wrote:

Shirt
-Double breasted shirt (dark gray blue, lining is darker in some or all angles)

So I know we can't go by the toys with any certainty— but both the new Han and Lando (black series 6") figures seem to have a new style of "smuggler shirt." The big difference is there seems to be only one bib that folds down. The back side is possibly up (Cassian-ish style) but with a diagonal "V" cut that makes it look like the bib is folded down when worn under a jacket.

Looking at the available promo images with this in mind, I am almost now certain this is the case. It was easy to miss with Han wearing a jacket over the shirt—but what's interesting is looking at the shots of Lando it's even more apparent.

Here are some images to support my theory (apologies for the image of the toy—I found it from someone who is customizing the new Solo figure, though I think perhaps the white makes it easier to see).

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Costume Standard Draft: "Solo" Han Reply with quote

I just folded the inner bib inside and it seems to have the same effect.

LastMaxStanding wrote:
coryphefish wrote:

Shirt
-Double breasted shirt (dark gray blue, lining is darker in some or all angles)

So I know we can't go by the toys with any certainty— but both the new Han and Lando (black series 6") figures seem to have a new style of "smuggler shirt." The big difference is there seems to be only one bib that folds down. The back side is possibly up (Cassian-ish style) but with a diagonal "V" cut that makes it look like the bib is folded down when worn under a jacket.

Looking at the available promo images with this in mind, I am almost now certain this is the case. It was easy to miss with Han wearing a jacket over the shirt—but what's interesting is looking at the shots of Lando it's even more apparent.

Here are some images to support my theory (apologies for the image of the toy—I found it from someone who is customizing the new Solo figure, though I think perhaps the white makes it easier to see).

kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Costume Standard Draft: "Solo" Han Reply with quote

CaptainTightpantsCosplay wrote:
I just folded the inner bib inside and it seems to have the same effect.

That's what I assumed it to be. I was a bit startled when people started saying it was a whole new pattern.

Might be for some of the shirts, I suppose.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Solo Jacket Reply with quote

It's states in the run down that:

"Han’s jacket appears to be a tan suede and dark brown suede panels at the shoulders and contrast stitching." and "The back of the jacket features
a black or dark brown suede yoke"

So do we believe that the "suede panels at the shoulder" on the front don't just flow over the shoulder into the "suede yolk" on the back of the jacket?
CaptainoftheFalcon ()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Solo Jacket Reply with quote

It's states in the run down that:

"Han’s jacket appears to be a tan suede and dark brown suede panels at the shoulders and contrast stitching." and "The back of the jacket features
a black or dark brown suede yoke"

So do we believe that the "suede panels at the shoulder" on the front don't just flow over the shoulder into the "suede yolk" on the back of the jacket?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> DB94 Standards Development -> DB94 New Standards In Progress All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: