Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e59f27a164f01371f3bea073daf0138cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme "Deleted Family Scene" build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Padme "Deleted Family Scene" build Reply with quote

Oooof. The one good thing about this quarantine is I am getting a ton of costumes done! This is next on my very long list and since it is "relatively" simple, I figured it would be next. I've been studying this costume for awhile now and have a plan of attack but to execute it will be interesting to say the least. For one thing, not nearly enough people have made it so it was hard to track down what was used in the past and for another, there are just so little good references!

I have been searching for a long time for a decent crinkle knit that would fit both design and color wise and I finally found what I needed over a year ago. Purchased on 6/14/19 to be exact. Yes, that is how long this costume has been waiting to be made. Surprised

This is the fabric I found.
https://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/p219910_60046-misty-green-crinkled-herringbone-jersey-knit

I purchased 6 yards at the time and I am so glad I did because, as you can see, it is now completely sold out. I got a deal on it too! Only $27. When the fabric arrived, I discovered it was more of a gray/blue than the green the listing led me to believe which was a bonus! I knew I would have to dye the fabric anyway so this undertone makes it easier in the long run.

Here is the fabric with flash:

And without flash:

I've already laundered and removed as much color as I could from the original fabric and am now ready to dye but I am faced with a bit of a quandry.

The standard asks for "aqua matte" but I honestly don't see aqua in this costume. To me, it is at best a baby blue or a gray/blue. The wording of aqua is throwing me off.

Here is a photo of the costume against two shades I am currently leaning towards dye wise for this.

However, neither of these are exact matches. Then, when I compare my current fabric color against the same image...

I'm a bit torn on this. To me, my fabric needs just a tad more blue to make it match pretty darn closely. Here's another shot that shows it should just need a smidge more blue to be correct.

Thoughts on this? I have Aqua, Evening Blue and Blue dye ready to go but am hesitant to do anything till I get some feedback.

I am hoping to start my mockup for the skirt at least today or tomorrow and have a plan of attack for the headband but need to flesh it out a bit more before I actually proceed.
In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/X Wing Pilot/Clone Wars Padme (maroon vest)
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update to say these beads were purchased awhile ago also and I will be handsewing them to the top for the beadwork when I get to that stage.

In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/X Wing Pilot/Clone Wars Padme (maroon vest)
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp, I just went with my gut. I don't like waiting when I get the itch to work on something so I dyed the fabric and I am extremely pleased with the end result. I ended up going with Evening Blue as that is what I felt would give me the proper shade I was going for. I ended up dyeing the fabric in our bathtub, which I had never done before, and it came out great! I was able to move the fabric a lot more this way then in a washing machine or in a trash can (like how I was doing in the past). Bonus was the hot water from the faucet was strong enough to work so now I know I don't need to take time boiling water anymore. Mr. Green

Here is the fabric in the tub soaking.

Here is the fabric after it was washed without flash.

And with flash.

Unfortunately the camera isnt picking up the color as much as I would like. It's a beautiful shade of blue. I'm so pleased. I ended up using a full bottle of the dye and I'm glad I did cause 6 yards is a lot of fabric. I'm going to attempt to mock up the skirt after lunch today and also start to pattern the headband. We'll see how much I get done.

I also ordered this for the hair. I have long enough hair to do it with my real hair but to get it that curly is a pain so this is much easier.
https://www.amazon.com/Synthetic-Textured-Ponytail-Extension-Hairpiece/dp/B00W1URTA6/ref=sr_1_55_sspa?crid=1H3H2M3AF5OMH&dchild=1&keywords=hair+ponytail+hair+piece&qid=1589911614&sprefix=hair+pon%2Caps%2C190&sr=8-55-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzTTYzUlVZUEhWRFkzJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjE2MzA5MzVQTTdTOUZOV1ZIOSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTk5ODk2M0VYNTdMT0lEU1VNTyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2J0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Last but not least for this update, I picked up these buttons for the back of the top.
https://www.joann.com/la-mode-4-pk-0.63-silver-shank-buttons-with-white-pearl/3625449.html
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday was a wash with homework and quizzes but today I got a tad more done. I picked up this spray paint and these buttons. The spray paint will be the base coat for the headband and the button will be used for the skirt.

I was really bothered by the fact that the wrap skirt had to flare out by the knees so started scouring the internet for a pattern that would work. After consulting with a skilled seamstress, we had a plan of attack for me to follow. However, this morning, completely by chance I stumbled upon the PERFECT pattern already in my stash!

I will simply omit the top part of the dress, move the slit over to the left and shorten the train and voila! Instant skirt! I went ahead and cut out the pieces I needed tonight and put them together.

Now that I'm looking at this, it's very similar to the bottom of Qi'ra's black evening gown but not as fitted. I plan on cutting out my mockup of this tomorrow to test fit and then, if it works, will have the skirt portion hopefully done by tomorrow evening. Fingers crossed!
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a significant portion of this costume done yesterday and I am super happy with it. I used the pattern I found to construct a mockup to test length and flow etc. I used a red knit I had in my stash that was similar in weight and stretch to the fabric I have and it worked well.

You can see the train is far too long in the mockup so I adjusted the length and also the fit on the mockup.

Once I was happy with the fit, I cut into my precious fabric. Even cutting into the Mood Rey fabric didn't fill me with anxiety like doing this did. I just knew I would not be able to get more of this fabric and also I knew finding anything even close to this would take a VERY long time.

Overall, once it was cut out, I was very pleased with the drape. Here are the panels assembled but not yet lined.

Here is the skirt fitted waiting to be hemmed.

I am almost positive the skirt is lined based on this screenshot I took while rewatching the scene.

Here is the finished skirt. I need to iron it a bit but otherwise it's done.

Lastly, a side by side of the mockup against the finished product.

I'm just so happy with the color of this skirt and the button sets it off well.

Boo that JoAnn's has delayed my button order for the collar so I went ahead and placed a different order at a different site to get them. I really don't want to wait to potentially have JoAnn's cancel my order as they have been doing to a lot of people lately. Here are the replacement buttons I ordered.

https://www.joann.com/lamode-dome-shaped-white-and-silver-shank-buttons/16248213.html#q=silver%2Bbuttons&start=1

I also got the hairpiece in. I think it will work well. Needs some styling but it blends in well with my hair so I think it will be fine.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fabric does look great. Very Happy And yes; very few have done this costume and we don't have a whole lot of references for it either. (Which accounts for why few people have done it).

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get as much done today as I would have liked but I was simply super busy and didn't have time to get to it until late this evening. I am pleased with the amount I got done though!

The top is tricky. The sleeves are not set in. The pieces all center in a V in front. The back has an almost yoke shape in the back and side panels that then cross to meet in the middle of the back and disappear under the skirt. . Constructing this thing must have been interesting. Shocked

I had originally purchased Butterick 3344 to use as the base. This was what KayDee had used and had listed on her site. As I had mentioned earlier, I started gathering supplies for this build almost a year ago so since that time, I have misplaced that pattern. Crying or Very sad

I tried to think of what I could use instead and decided I would check my stash to see if I had a long sleeved, fitted shirt with a collar pattern and as luck would have it, I had an even better pattern in my possession and I didn't even know it.

When JoAnn's has their $1.99 sales on patterns, I stock up. Sometimes I buy patterns just cause they look fun and this was one of the ones that this category fell in. McCall's M8043 is pretty much perfect.

Yes, I need to make adjustments but not as many as I would have had to do with the other patterns. I decided to use View A as the base and modify as needed.
Here are the things I changed on the pattern. I omitted the facing on both the front and back panels. I also didn't use the lower half of the shirt panels as they weren't needed as well. I didn't use the cuff or the tie pieces. I cut out front/back/sleeve and collar. I knew I would need to make this mockup first simply for fit and then adjust so I did just that. I cut this at a size 16 based on my cup size although the pattern put me at an 18 for that reason. The stretch of the fabric allowed for the smaller sizing.

Here is the mockup put together. The front is slightly longer than the back as I wanted to make sure it was long enough to cover my bust. I am definitely much bigger there than Natalie so need to accommodate for my sizing.

The fit was good although a little loose and the length was also what I imagined so I took it off and proceeded to mark out where my new pattern pieces would need to be. For reference, I referred to these photos.

This for the front:

This for the back:

With these pictures in front of me, I sketched out what I thought would be the new pieces and then tried it on for placement.

I was pretty happy with how it looked so then proceeded to cut the pieces out. The back piece came out pretty decent but I am planning on lowering the "yoke" by about 2 inches as it seems a little short to me on this mockup.

With the back looking okay, I cut out the front pieces and prepped them for tomorrow.

I plan on making a few more mockups to get the fit perfect cause, again, I don't have a lot of fabric to spare. I have enough to make the top and line it with the same fabric and then I'm out so Shocked .
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp, today was mostly a wash. I had so much homework and other things happening I didn't get to what I wanted to. I'm annoyed. Anyway, the one thing I did do was pickup my buttons! I ended up getting both sets and I'm really debating on these. The ones rimmed in silver look closer to what I used on the skirt but the more plain ones look a bit closer to what I can kind of see on the top.

However, when zooming on this closeup, you can the button fairly well and I think it's safe to assume the back buttons match the front at which case the buttons on the right would be the better choice. Ugh. So tricky to find good shots.

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you're off to a fantastic start with this! I look forward to seeing more!

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far it's going great. But yes, there's going to be a lot of mocking around to get the right fit. Lots of pieces that all have to go together in the right way.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

tereshkova2001 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely work! I can't wait to see your finished product. It cracks me up that there are two very different outfits in the same movie that can be described as blue two-piece wrap ensembles. (I'm in the midst of building the other one, from Tatooine.)
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tereshkova2001 wrote:
Lovely work! I can't wait to see your finished product. It cracks me up that there are two very different outfits in the same movie that can be described as blue two-piece wrap ensembles. (I'm in the midst of building the other one, from Tatooine.)

LOL thanks. I got sidetracked a bit with finals and rioting happening down the street from my house numerous days this week but hope to get back at it soon.
I have the one you're working on and I'm glad to see more people doing it. It's a lovely costume.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: