Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7150e6781481b0fec0b5895d8cc2f40eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Luke Skywalker ESB Lightsaber question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christina (Christina Rotsaert)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject: Luke Skywalker ESB Lightsaber question Reply with quote

I’m looking at a few different models of Luke’s ESB lightsaber (This would be for Luke as Snowspeeder pilot, really just want a hilt to hang off the belt) and was wondering what people felt about these:

Graflex 2.5 Hilt - No blade

Black Series Rey Lightsaber - has a permanent fixed blade but it can be removed. Would need to replace the D ring hook.

Disney Parks The Last Jedi Ret Lightsaber - removalable blade.

Thanks
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any of these would be fine Cool
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you're gonna lay down the money for an FX lightsaber, definitely go for the Disney Rey one with the removable blade. While you CAN remove the blade on the other one, you'd basically have to ruin the blade to do so. This way you can have a belt hanger, but you still leave yourself the option of having a blade, should you wanna pose for pics, or take down an AT-AT walker.

Member:
Ra Kura Base (Florida)
Stormfront Temple
Rebel Legion Knights of the Jedi Order
Galactic Stategic Command
mykejr ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more of a builder myself. I'd go for a Graflex so later on I could add quality sound neopixel blade and a crystal chamber. This can be very expensive if you commission it but if you DIY it is affordable imo. Time consuming, yes (and sometimes nerve killer) but seeing a lightsaber come alive under your hands is priceless. Also one can learn a lot during the process and you’ll appreciate is way more. The simplest and ready to use go black series.
flutefreak05 (Lauren Lys)
Suspended Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard good reviews on the graflex. Personally I am not a fan of the black series sabers.
The Flagship Eclipse Detachment PR Officer
A New Hopeful ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the bump.

So is it confirmed that a Hasbro Black Series Force FX Rey (Jedi Training) lightsaber is okay for an ESB Luke costume?

I have the above plus an empty Korbanth 2.5 Graflex replica (with wannawanga upgrades) as a belt hanger.

But I can’t justify the expense of getting the latter fitted with electronics at the moment.

And while I have a spare red button and can easily buy some mylar chrome tape, I really don’t want to mod the Rey unless I absolutely have to.

If BS Rey is okay, I’ll be happy as a Porg on a Wookiee’s shoulder.

Master Replicas SW-220 2007 Luke Skywalker Force FX Lightsaber Collectible (ANH)
Master Replicas Luke Skywalker Episode IV Elite Edition (ANH static)
Master Replicas SW-208 2005 Anakin Skywalker Force FX Lightsaber Collectible (ROTS)
Master Replicas SW-207 2005 Darth Vader Force FX Lightsaber Collectible (ESB)
Hasbro 07 2016 The Black Series Rey (Jedi Training) Force FX Lightsaber (TLJ)
Hasbro 03 2015 The Black Series Luke Skywalker Episode IV Force FX (ANH)
Korbanth Graflex 2.5 Replica Luke Skywalker (ESB Hero static)

Costumes: Luke Skywalker (X-Wing Pilot) | Luke Skywalker (Lars Homestead/Tatooine)

Last edited by A New Hopeful () on Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
General_HighGround (Chris)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christina wrote:
I’m looking at a few different models of Luke’s ESB lightsaber (This would be for Luke as Snowspeeder pilot, really just want a hilt to hang off the belt) and was wondering what people felt about these:

Graflex 2.5 Hilt - No blade

Black Series Rey Lightsaber - has a permanent fixed blade but it can be removed. Would need to replace the D ring hook.

Disney Parks The Last Jedi Ret Lightsaber - removalable blade.

Thanks

Saber expert and builder here:
My opinion is to go with the 2.5, or the 89 Sabers Graflex kit from saberbay on etsy. From an installation point of view, the 89 is much nicer.

A New Hopeful wrote:
Sorry for the bump.

So is it confirmed that a Hasbro Black Series Force FX Rey (Jedi Training) lightsaber is okay for an ESB Luke costume?

I have the above plus an empty Korbanth 2.5 Graflex replica (with wannawanga upgrades) as a belt hanger.

But I can’t justify the expense of getting the latter fitted with electronics at the moment.

And while I have a spare red button and can easily buy some mylar chrome tape, I really don’t want to mod the Rey unless I absolutely have to.

If BS Rey is okay, I’ll be happy as a Porg on a Wookiee’s shoulder.

Master Replicas SW-220 2007 Luke Skywalker Force FX Lightsaber Collectible (ANH)
Master Replicas Luke Skywalker Episode IV Elite Edition (ANH static)
Master Replicas SW-208 2005 Anakin Skywalker Force FX Lightsaber Collectible (ROTS)
Master Replicas SW-207 2005 Darth Vader Force FX Lightsaber Collectible (ESB)
Hasbro 07 2016 The Black Series Rey (Jedi Training) Force FX Lightsaber (TLJ)
Hasbro The Black Series Luke Skywalker Episode IV Force FX (ANH)
Korbanth Graflex 2.5 Replica Luke Skywalker (ESB Hero static)

The primary difference between the ESB Lightsaber and the Rey Lightsaber is the presence of a second "red button" in place of the "brass eye", and different type of circuit card in the clamp. Now much like on your Korbanth, you can unscrew the eye for a button, but on the Hasbro ones, they are glued on.
You could try and salvage another red button from another black series (I might have one actually), OR you could do a conversion for the Black Series and get a metal blade holder which will actually be threaded for the red button and glass eye.
A New Hopeful ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice, Obi-wansBeard. And for the kind offer of the red button.

I actually have a spare red button blade holder as well as a spare momentary switch red button. I just don’t want to break apart the lightsaber unless it’s the only way to get it approved!

Costumes: Luke Skywalker (X-Wing Pilot) | Luke Skywalker (Lars Homestead/Tatooine)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: