Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d7ba553bc4e8d5bdef56bde72d095a5cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ANH Farm boy Luke (female)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaraJade57 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: ANH Farm boy Luke (female) Reply with quote

I've been hovering on the edge of doing a rebel legion costume for years but honestly could not decide what to do, so I made a mando instead Wink but now I'm back and I've decided it's gotta be Luke. I've loved the character all my life and I'm ready to give it a shot.

First off, I read through the discussions on the tunic, I found this pattern on sale and bought it. I'll have to modify it to not have sleeves attached at a shoulder seem, but that's no problem. I'm wondering if y'all think this is a decent place to start and any tips and tricks would be appreciated

Second, how's my hair? Razz I 100% plan on taking a picture of Mark Hamill from ANH to my hair stylist and saying, "make this happen please!"

Thank you in advance for the input! I apologize in advance for the huge pictures, I'm not sure how to downsize them from imgur.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya. Smile

Sleeves on the pattern looks a little short, and you would need to gently curve the sides into the seams, but the pattern should be a fine starting point.
Have you got a lot of references to look at? I recommend saving them on your computer for easy reference as you go.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
MaraJade57 ()

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Hiya. Smile

Sleeves on the pattern looks a little short, and you would need to gently curve the sides into the seams, but the pattern should be a fine starting point.
Have you got a lot of references to look at? I recommend saving them on your computer for easy reference as you go.

Oh yes tons of references. I've started a new folder of Luke photos. Any suggestions for tunic fabric? I didn't want to get any until I asked.
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just about the best fabric for the Tunic:

http://www.sellfabric.com/store/p/566-Vanilla.aspx

Viyella was used to make the screen used costume but it's not only very expensive but it's almost impossible to find in solid colors. It typically comes in plaids and varied prints. The above cotton twill is just the right color, more readily available and it's much much more affordable.

Psab
MaraJade57 ()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my starting point, I found some pants and a gi to use as an alternate template. If I remove the cargo pockets, would these pants work? They are cotton and have no back pockets.
Also I suspect the tunic needs to have more taper to the waist and the sleeves need to be a bit longer than this gi is, correct? Just to clarify this gi is just for reference when I go to see my own.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pants color looks good, so without the pockets I think they could work. Smile

And yes to your notes on the gi.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing to add, as I haven't done this costume, but I just wanted to say YAY FOR MORE FEMALE LUKES! Very Happy
It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

Qui-Gon Jinn, Master and Apprentice, Claudia Gray
Bgettel (Barb Gettel)

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also a Female working on a Luke ANH costume!!

I purchased Levi's, based on my research is what Mark actually wore on set. I wasn't able to confirm the actual style so I went with the 513s.

I am currently struggling with the screen accurate puttees. I was able to find them online but they were too spendy for me at this time ($400+)

I'm really excited to see that there are other female Luke's out there. Way to be awesome ladies!

wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bgettel wrote:
I'm also a Female working on a Luke ANH costume!!

I purchased Levi's, based on my research is what Mark actually wore on set. I wasn't able to confirm the actual style so I went with the 513s.

I am currently struggling with the screen accurate puttees. I was able to find them online but they were too spendy for me at this time ($400+)

I'm really excited to see that there are other female Luke's out there. Way to be awesome ladies!

Yay! I did Endor Luke to hide my hair, but I'm actually working on another version now. Smile
It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

Qui-Gon Jinn, Master and Apprentice, Claudia Gray
MaraJade57 ()

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I ended up buying the levis because when I removed the cargo pockets off the pants I had the color under the pockets was much darker and bleaching/dying was a fail. So I bought men's 559 tan levis and was wondering: do I have to remove the back pockets?
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would probably be a good idea to remove them.
these are Luke's screen-used pants. they had no pockets.

(note: stain from where he fell on his butt in the pondo baba scene. LOL)Razz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic will do! My levis are more the tan ones on the far right so stain on the but it is! Lol
MaraJade57 ()

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I got some new men's Levi pants and took the back pockets off. Much easier than messing with those cargo pockets I had on my previous pair. I also started on my tunic template. This is my front template piece w/o seem allowance, so this should be about the size of the final product. How's the sleeve size and taper to the waist?
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks really good to me. Very much like my pattern for the tunic. It's quite baggy which is just right! Just remember the sleeve hems are very wide at approximately 3-4 inches wide.
MaraJade57 ()

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do! Thanks very much for the input!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: