Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2969d55a4bb53bcbc45d9acb0a15ca84Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Obi-Wan Kenobi: Revenge of the Sith Replica Costume
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psab Keel ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Obi-Wan Kenobi: Revenge of the Sith Replica Costume Reply with quote

I've been making Prequel Era Jedi costumes (and costumes in general) for nearly 20 years and it's been a dream of mine to create a screen accurate Jedi costume. After nearly ten years I have finally achieved my goal with Obi-Wan's costume from Episode 3. I've done between seven to eight different versions of this ensemble and I finally got it right! While I'm not a fan of the Prequels I do love the production design and the costumes are a huge part of that. This particular ensemble took several months of work to assemble, meticulously sourcing as accurate materials as I could find and exhaustively perfecting my patterns to get the correct fit and look of the screen used costume worn by Ewan McGregor.

Here is part one of a video tour of my personal Obi-Wan Revenge of the Sith Costume. I crafted nearly every piece of this costume myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwsga_BqNZ8

Here is Part Two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csL1Oj92ZTs

Pieces I purchased were:

-Hasbro Force FX Lightsaber
-Boots -Motor Cowboy (purchased second hand)
-Food Capsules (ebay)
-Civilized Galactic Gear Fluted Pouches
-Woodman Grapple Pouch
-Covertech Belt Clip
-Functional Belt Buckle by Dave at Saberbelt and Diego

Pieces I crafted:

Inner Tunic
Trousers with attached suspenders
Outer Tunic, Sash, and Tabards
Leather Belt
Hooded Robe

Here are some shots of the finished product:
IMG_0217 by Nathan Andrews, on Flickr
IMG_0213 by Nathan Andrews, on Flickr
IMG_0208 by Nathan Andrews, on Flickr
IMG_0206 by Nathan Andrews, on Flickr
IMG_0202 by Nathan Andrews, on Flickr
IMG_0201 by Nathan Andrews, on Flickr
IMG_0193 by Nathan Andrews, on Flickr
IMG_0176 by Nathan Andrews, on Flickr
IMG_0164 by Nathan Andrews, on Flickr
IMG_0160 by Nathan Andrews, on Flickr
IMG_0148 by Nathan Andrews, on Flickr
IMG_0142 by Nathan Andrews, on Flickr
IMG_0141 by Nathan Andrews, on Flickr
IMG_0138 by Nathan Andrews, on Flickr
IMG_0123 by Nathan Andrews, on Flickr
DSCN3949 by Nathan Andrews, on Flickr

Anyway I hope you all enjoy! I have one last video detailing this ensemble. I will link it once I finish editing it and upload it to YouTube. Thanks to my wife for the great photos she took!

Psab Keel
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the third and final installment of my Obi-Wan ROTS Costume review. I hope you all enjoy it. Please keep in mind that I am still brand new to filming/ lighting and have only been using the video editing software for a few weeks. Thanks for watching/ following!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRvmFamR5rk

Psab
General_HighGround (Chris)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictures here dont capture the texture of the Gauze like I saw in the videos. This looks superb and really pushes me to believe that I can do this very same outfit myself for my Ep3OWK.

Could you possibly elaborate more on the obi as far as getting the "scrunchy" look and its closure in the rear?

I know you mentioned that the top of the tabbards are sewn to the outer tunic at the shoulders, but are the bottoms sewn to the tunic as well?
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you enjoyed the video. Sadly the texture of the crinkled cotton gauze gets washed out in bright lights.

The obi is four different pieces of fabric sandwiched together. Two pieces of gauze and two pieces of muslin (the entire tunic was lined with muslin to give it some body and make it easier to sew.) The fabric is cut on the bias and the crinkles run diagonally, plus the front of the obi is wider than the back. For mine I measured the front at 10 inches wide and the back at 8 inches. When sewn together it creates natural creases which I sewed in place and this is the technique they used on the real costume as well. While the screen used tunic had hook and eye closures to secure the obi in place, I opted for hidden velcro for ease of use.

DSCN3718 by Nathan Andrews, on Flickr

You can see this as evidenced here:

STARWARS_11102016_rjRJ1_8768 by Nathan Andrews, on Flickr

As far as the tabards are concerned I sew mine down at the shoulders right as they touch the collar of the tunic. Seeing as how they don't come down below the waist over the skirt portion in the back (like they do in the front) I actually sew then directly to the bottom of the tunic body before I attach the skirt portion. This way they always stay in place right where they are supposed to. The Tunic opens in the front and the tabards just lay over it as it's closed and the obi goes over all of this to hold it all in place.[/img]
General_HighGround (Chris)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the lower half of the tunic is cut separately of the upper half? I was going to use the simplicity 5840 patterns.
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my pattern, yes. This was the case for the screen used costume as well. The upper body (from the shoulder to the navel) is one section and the "skirt" portion goes from the navel to mid thigh. You could theoretically have the Tunic body made of one piece, but the screen used costume wasn't made that way.

Plus I find that because the tabards don't extend below the waist in the back like they do on say Qui-Gon's costume, then you can sew the ends of the tabards between the upper body and the skirt layer so they always stay in place.

In some versions I've done of this ensemble I've even sewn the tunic shut and the tabards are permanently tacked in place so instead of fussing with getting them to lie just right every time you put it on, you just pull the whole tunic over your head and adjust slightly and it's done. Then all you have to do is put the obi on your waist and you're set to go.

I hope that helped.
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an FYI this is the 7th or 8th version of this costume I've done and the entire thing is for sale, Saber and boots included. Complete Obi-Wan ROTS costume in one fell swoop.

$1800.00 plus actual shipping costs.

Even at this price I'm still not even charging enough for my time. I just want to address this because I know a lot of people are going to question my pricing. I should be charging much more but I want to make this affordable so I cut it down. For the moment I'm really looking to keep it as a full ensemble but if the interest is there and I can clear it faster I'll consider parting it out, though I will say that I will only part it out in sections if I go that route if only to not be stuck with individual pieces I can't use.
shodanmark ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Where did you find that twill fabric for the robe?
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it at Denver fabrics and it's 100 % wool. Though it was the wrong color so I had to custom dye it the right color which was a LOT of work.

If I were to split this up:

Set 1:

Inner Tunic, Outer Tunic w/ Sash and Tabards, Pants

Set 2:

Robe

Set 3:

Belt with all 4 pouches and food capsules

Set 4:

Boots

Set 5:

Lightsaber

Would that entice people to buy this?

I'm looking to clear this ASAP and could use the feedback.

Thanks, Psab
Obi-Wan(Ben)Kenobi (Eric Schroeter)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in set 2: Robe

Robe is the last piece I need. I am using my old robe right now but need a quality robe like yours to complete my Obi-Wan outfit.

Remember, The Force Will Be With You... Always.

Obi-Wan Kenobi (Episode III)
Generic Jedi (Jedi Eric)
Rebel Hoth Trench Trooper (Blackwell)
Master John (John)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey

what colour dye/s did you use for the outer tunic?
There is no death, there is the Force.
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Outer Tunic was not dyed. This was champagne cotton crinkle gauze.

The only part of the costume that had to be dyed was the Robe Fabric.

It was a beige/ cream color 100% wool originally and I used 1 Dark Brown and 5-6 Cocoa Brown RIT brand dyes to get it to that reddish brown color you see here.
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been parted out and each piece is available for sale on ebay.

Thanks!
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robe and the Lightsaber are sold. For those interested the remaining pieces are still available on ebay!

Thanks for looking!
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had quite a few people ask me where I bought the wool robe fabric since I posted this thread. The material I used has long sold out but I came across this while surfing the web for fabrics.

https://www.fabricmartfabrics.com/Peanut-Brown-White-100-Wool-Flannel-Twill-Suiting-58W.html

This is nearly identical to what I used. The weight and texture is exactly like the one I had though like mine it will need to be dyed the correct color. I used 1 bottle of RIT Dark Brown and 6-7 bottles of RIT Cocoa Brown dye to achieve the color with my personal robe.

This is on sale too at a great price and there is only 17 yards left so if you are looking for something close to what I had I wouldn't hesitate to buy this up ASAP. The sale ends TODAY, so don't miss out.

Since I'm on the subject of Prequel Era Jedi costumes I wanted to just say while I am happy to give advice or help for those who are constructing their own I no longer take commissions for these.

Thanks and I hope this helps my fellow Obi-Wan ROTS General Kenobis!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: