Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=76333c27ea7d941bd6e1a5c0dfd85a2aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

kman's Endor Rebel Commando WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vest greeblie is done! I'll probably add some weathering, but at least I can cross this one off my list.

I modeled one of the bandolier greeblies I wanted to do, since this one seems to be there a lot. A bit of sanding and painting, and this will be ready to attach to the bandolier!

Filler primer coats on the bandolier greeblies (the Yahoo group collection) are done. Again, some more sanding and painting, and these will be ready to glue into the bandolier tubes.

And the bandolier radio has it's initial filler primer coat, as well.

I painted the vest sleeve greeblie as well, but apparently forgot to take a pic. (I'll edit this post to add it in, when I do)

A bit more painting to go, and I really need to get back to sewing. My deadline to submit photos is Sunday! There's only a few more sewing bits left, but they're really important.

A local base buddy has generously offered to assist me with painting the camo onto the clothes on Saturday morning, so I may actually pull this off!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress continues. Main body of the gaiters are done. Snapped a needle, so adding the tongue should be finished tonight pretty easily, then it's just a matter of adding the grommets. (I really hate grommets)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
Progress continues. Main body of the gaiters are done. Snapped a needle, so adding the tongue should be finished tonight pretty easily, then it's just a matter of adding the grommets. (I really hate grommets)

May I ask what fabric you used for your gators? I’m working on my build and I wanted to get an idea of what you used. Additionally it looks like you used the pattern from the yahoo group is that correct? Thanks for time and help.
RAID Recruit - Endor Commando
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retrofire wrote:
May I ask what fabric you used for your gators? I’m working on my build and I wanted to get an idea of what you used. Additionally it looks like you used the pattern from the yahoo group is that correct? Thanks for time and help.

It's the same fabric I used for the vest, purchased at JoAnn's. A lightweight cotton twill. I used 3 layers plus the batting, for the gaiters. (I think normally they use thicker fabric, but since they recommended doubling it up for the vest, I figured that would work for the gaiters, too. I just didn't want to cut a 4th layer, LOL)

And yes, the patterns (and instructions) all came from PDFs in the Yahoo group.

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
Retrofire wrote:

It's the same fabric I used for the vest, purchased at JoAnn's. A lightweight cotton twill. I used 3 layers plus the batting, for the gaiters. (I think normally they use thicker fabric, but since they recommended doubling it up for the vest, I figured that would work for the gaiters, too. I just didn't want to cut a 4th layer, LOL)

And yes, the patterns (and instructions) all came from PDFs in the Yahoo group.

Thank you so much Kalani I really appreciate it!
RAID Recruit - Endor Commando
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished up the gaiters last night (need to scrounge some para cord for laces, but I have plenty of that somewhere). I hate grommets. LOL

Finally started the last parts of the donut. I cut the plastic insert for the bill from some crap I had, following DroidWelder's pattern, and sewed the cover:

I clipped it in place to get a general idea of the appearance, and I'm satisfied. Next step is to drill holes and get it fixed in place so it has a nice bend to it.

And then the last major step before paintings: The ribbed top cover, for the donut. I've delayed on that as long as I could and then some; it's time to bite the bullet and wade in!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, I should stop browsing costume standards. Pretty much all I need is a tan flight suit and I can easily pull together several more costumes, with existing stuff I have on hand, including the Endor vest I just sewed (It would be nice to get extra use out of that):

Endor Gunner

and then, with the same flight suit:

Rebel Ground Crew

and if I add the helmet to that flight suit:

Yavin Hanger Technician

MWAH-HA-HA-HA-HAAA...
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are making nice progress!

If you pull the sides back more (and keep the center where it is) so there is an even reveal around the cutout, the bill will curve like it should.

Several people have told me that my bill / brim sticks out too far, so I recently remade my pattern and shortened it up a bit to look more accurate.

David L.

kman wrote:

Finally started the last parts of the donut. I cut the plastic insert for the bill from some crap I had, following DroidWelder's pattern, and sewed the cover:

I clipped it in place to get a general idea of the appearance, and I'm satisfied. Next step is to drill holes and get it fixed in place so it has a nice bend to it.

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38021

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48482
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DroidWelder wrote:
You are making nice progress!

If you pull the sides back more (and keep the center where it is) so there is an even reveal around the cutout, the bill will curve like it should.

Several people have told me that my bill / brim sticks out too far, so I recently remade my pattern and shortened it up a bit to look more accurate.

David L.

Thanks! I used your pattern, and I'm pretty happy with it for now. Perhaps I'll feel like making the shorter version for a future upgrade. Smile Is the pattern available anywhere?

A friend of mine (our Illustrious RAID DL, conveniently!) was willing to assist with camoing up my pants, so we had a little painting party yesterday. Here's a few shots:

And the final product:

SUPER pleased with how that came out. Smile I wish it was my work, but perhaps I'll be able to do it myself next time, LOL

Moving onto the helmet, I finally can tick this one off the list. Phew!

Pleating sucks. (this kind, at least)

I ended up putting bias tape all the way around, which seemed to help keep things tidy:

I confirmed that it's not a requirement to have the bias tape showing on the sides. Bigger rings with different head shapes and sizes sit differently, so it's not a big deal. I found several reference images, as well, which show that it wasn't visible in all the onscreen troopers, either, so that's good.

Here are the pleats in place:

For now, I'm literally supergluing the bias tape ring around the inside of the shell. Seems to work fairly well, although I want to reinforce it with E6000 when I have time. (bond is less brittle)

I also got the brim properly installed. (Thanks again for that pattern, DroidWelder, even if you think it's a little long, I think it looks great!)

And finally, the final helmet, weathered up a bit (still need to dirty up the pleats a bit, but otherwise done):

I have a bit of final painting and weathering to do on the bandolier, and need to attach the greeblies, and then I think I'm finally ready to take some submission photos! Very Happy
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally done!

Here's my belt, in it's current configuration. I suspect I'll play with this a bit more before finalizing anything, but this works for now.

Here's the Czech backpack, with the greeblies attached. I was as faithful as possible to the screen-used packs, given the different strap configuration these packs have. At some point I'll add some detail to the greeblies, but these will do for now. I have the corrugated hose that I want to add, as well, but I haven't gotten around to working up a mounting mechanism (probably magnetic, like my Pilot's chest box hose), and I don't want to cut a hole in the pack.

Here's the final Bandolier. The big pipe sections are just friction fit for now, so I'll be adding screws or something to hold those in place. But this will do for the time being.

And lastly, here's ME, all kitted up, from one of my submission photos. Naturally, there's all manner of improvements I still want to do, but you have to call it good enough to start with at some point, right? LOL

I clicked Submit about 20 minutes ago, so fingers crossed! I have granted provisional approval to troop in the parade I was hoping to debut this for, so at least that's covered. Otherwise, if there any changes needed, I hope I can get them done this week (short week!) before I leave for Thanksgiving with family, returning just in time to attend the parade...
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great!
It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

Qui-Gon Jinn, Master and Apprentice, Claudia Gray
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wabbit89 wrote:
Looks great!

Thanks! Just noticed you have a couple of Endor costumes, too, so I especially appreciate your post. Smile (No build threads on them, though, that I could find LOL)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
wabbit89 wrote:
Looks great!

Thanks! Just noticed you have a couple of Endor costumes, too, so I especially appreciate your post. Smile (No build threads on them, though, that I could find LOL)

I've never done a build thread...I'm not sure why? Maybe because I tend to go crazy and do it all really fast and forget to take pics? Wink

I did share some stuff over on the giant RPF Rey thread back in the day when we were all trying to figure things out with limited info, but that's it.

Anyway...you do look great. My Endor commando is very basic. I don't have a lot of the accessories at this point, though I've recently ordered some greeblies and will be adding to it. But my Luke is on point. Wink Smile Cool
It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

Qui-Gon Jinn, Master and Apprentice, Claudia Gray
DroidWelder ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted the updated pattern on my Endor Donut thread - at the bottom of the first post.

I also have a PDF file of the pattern that I can email to those that don't want to worry about getting the image sized correctly when they print.

David L.

kman wrote:

Thanks! I used your pattern, and I'm pretty happy with it for now. Perhaps I'll feel like making the shorter version for a future upgrade. Smile Is the pattern available anywhere?

DroidWelder wrote:

David L.

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48482
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DroidWelder wrote:
I've posted the updated pattern on my Endor Donut thread - at the bottom of the first post.

I also have a PDF file of the pattern that I can email to those that don't want to worry about getting the image sized correctly when they print.

David L.

kman wrote:

DroidWelder wrote:

David L.

Thanks! I found the graphic, and when the time comes to remake my brim, I'll give that a go instead. Smile I should be able to figure out the sizing, although the PDF would be cool, too. (I think you have my email from my chest box purchase)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: