Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c67684db2b5dd030a1969dad3a7e2cd6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New member with question about flight suit.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VinnyBolt ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: New member with question about flight suit. Reply with quote

Hey guys! An OT X-Wing pilot costume has been my dream costume forever, and I'm finally ready to get started on it. I found this jumpsuit on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Kap-Action-Coverall-Orange/dp/B004KJPTKI/ref=br_lf_m_c59oq99sec7uu24_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&s=apparel&th=1&psc=1

It's cheaper than the one in the tutorial, and has Prime shipping Very Happy Would this work as a base for the flightsuit?

Thanks!
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I used. It will work fine.

Also, welcome to the forums and let me know if you need any help. I just finished my pilot. I'm no expert seamstress, but pilot was a dream costume for me, too, and I can give a few pointers for sure. Enjoy the build! Smile

Member: Knights of the Jedi Order - Star Temple, RAID - Fire Team 28, GRRRL Squad, Kilted Rebel Regiment, Rebel Legion Starfighter Command - Spice Runner Squadron.

Last edited by wabbit89 () on Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
VinnyBolt ()

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wabbit89 wrote:

Thank you very much! Just curious, was it snug or loose, or about the size they say it is?
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinnyBolt wrote:
wabbit89 wrote:

Thank you very much! Just curious, was it snug or loose, or about the size they say it is?

I was lucky. I have some coveralls like this (different brand, but similar enough) that fit me well. So I had planned to order the same size. But since it was a different brand, I was still on the fence between two sizes. So, here's the thing that took me far longer to realize than it should have: you have to buy two sets of coveralls. One for the main suit and one for material for pockets and such (though you don't actually have to break into it until a few pockets in, you will need it). So buy two sizes if you're on a break point and then use the one that fits better as your suit and the other for fabric. I ordered a 38 and a 40 for me. I wear the 38.

Let me look at the measurements and see how that matches up to my actual numbers. Hold, please.

Member: Knights of the Jedi Order - Star Temple, RAID - Fire Team 28, GRRRL Squad, Kilted Rebel Regiment, Rebel Legion Starfighter Command - Spice Runner Squadron.
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty accurate for me. They are a little baggy in places, but not enough to matter. And I'm female. I assume by your username you are probably male. So chest size measurements aren't exactly the best guide for me - of course things will be shaped a bit differently in the hips and such.

Anyway...I do remember doing a little bit of googling to find an actual size chart based on multiple numbers, but in the end, I just went with my old Dickies size and it worked.

VinnyBolt ()

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wabbit89 wrote:
Pretty accurate for me. They are a little baggy in places, but not enough to matter. And I'm female. I assume by your username you are probably male. So chest size measurements aren't exactly the best guide for me - of course things will be shaped a bit differently in the hips and such.

Anyway...I do remember doing a little bit of googling to find an actual size chart based on multiple numbers, but in the end, I just went with my old Dickies size and it worked.

Thanks greatly for your help! My chest measurement floats between 40 and 42, and I'm 5'11, putting me right between regular and long sizes, so I ordered a 40 reg and 42 long, and whichever one doesn't fit becomes pockets.

On an unrelated note, I had a question about which blasters I'm allowed to have with the X-Wing pilot costume. I wanted to use a Bryar Pistol, but I'm not sure if that's cool. Where would I post that question?
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinnyBolt wrote:

Thanks greatly for your help! My chest measurement floats between 40 and 42, and I'm 5'11, putting me right between regular and long sizes, so I ordered a 40 reg and 42 long, and whichever one doesn't fit becomes pockets.

On an unrelated note, I had a question about which blasters I'm allowed to have with the X-Wing pilot costume. I wanted to use a Bryar Pistol, but I'm not sure if that's cool. Where would I post that question?

Of course! And that sounds about right, then. I'm 5'8" and 37" in the chest. I ordered a 38 Regular and a 40 Regular and used the 38 Regular as my suit and the 40 for pockets. Funny thing...after ripping off all the factory pockets and using them for some of the smaller pockets on the flight suit, I only used the legs of the second suit for the other pockets (if you do them all, there are eleven pockets, and I think I broke into the second suit at pocket five or so?). So I have the sleeves and torso and a bit of the legs left on my second suit. I was thinking of doing a weird sexy pilot thing with what's left, but that's really not my style. Was going to let someone else have it for that (sleeveless, short legs/hot pants type jumpsuit - some like that sort of thing). But then I hit upon the idea to do a jacket with the remainder. I haven't started it yet, but I'm seriously considering it. Nice place to put patches and such.

Anyway...I digress.

I don't know the answer to your blasters question, but I think this is the right place to post it. Hopefully someone can answer. I borrowed a buddy's DL-44 for my generic pilot costume pics, and for Red Five I didn't carry a blaster.

VinnyBolt ()

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wabbit89 wrote:
VinnyBolt wrote:

Of course! And that sounds about right, then. I'm 5'8" and 37" in the chest. I ordered a 38 Regular and a 40 Regular and used the 38 Regular as my suit and the 40 for pockets. Funny thing...after ripping off all the factory pockets and using them for some of the smaller pockets on the flight suit, I only used the legs of the second suit for the other pockets (if you do them all, there are eleven pockets, and I think I broke into the second suit at pocket five or so?). So I have the sleeves and torso and a bit of the legs left on my second suit. I was thinking of doing a weird sexy pilot thing with what's left, but that's really not my style. Was going to let someone else have it for that (sleeveless, short legs/hot pants type jumpsuit - some like that sort of thing). But then I hit upon the idea to do a jacket with the remainder. I haven't started it yet, but I'm seriously considering it. Nice place to put patches and such.

Anyway...I digress.

I don't know the answer to your blasters question, but I think this is the right place to post it. Hopefully someone can answer. I borrowed a buddy's DL-44 for my generic pilot costume pics, and for Red Five I didn't carry a blaster.

Thanks again for all your help. That's pretty clever with what you're doing with the remaining scrap. I haven't sewn anything in ages, but I have access to a machine. Is there a good video tutorial for making the pockets besides the guides here, or any good references you know of?

If I can't use the Bryar Pistol, I'll just use a good ol' Dl-44 or maybe an A280-CFE. I just love the Bryar Pistol since I grew up on those late 90's FMV games like DF: Jedi Knight (And especially Rebel Assault, which might be why I love the Rebel pilot outfit so much.)
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blasters are not required for the X-wing costume so it's pretty much "run what ya' brung" as long as it's from the Star Wars universe.

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
VinnyBolt ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediXXL wrote:
Blasters are not required for the X-wing costume so it's pretty much "run what ya' brung" as long as it's from the Star Wars universe.

Thanks, that's very helpful! Bryar Pistol it is! Cool On another note, do you happen to know of any good references for making the pockets on the flightsuit? It's been ages since I've sewn, and any vid or guide on making pockets and flaps in general would be helpful.
Mac Bragg ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediXXL wrote:

Since they are not required, don't wear one in your submission photos. If it's not there, it's not subject to being judged.

However if you do have one in your submission photos, the weapon and holster will be judged and could possibly delay or deny your approval.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac Bragg wrote:
JediXXL wrote:

Since they are not required, don't wear one in your submission photos. If it's not there, it's not subject to being judged.

However if you do have one in your submission photos, the weapon and holster will be judged and could possibly delay or deny your approval.

Thanks for the heads up! So keep it out of submission photos, but there's no issue with wearing it during events so long as it looks correct?
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can help with the pockets question, but I need to get to my real computer. I’ll send you some links tonight.

VinnyBolt ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wabbit89 wrote:
I can help with the pockets question, but I need to get to my real computer. I’ll send you some links tonight.

Thanks, I appreciate it.
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I used the tutorials offered here along with these patterns I found online. I forgot to bookmark this person's original page and only have links to the patterns, but these helped me a lot. There are also links to patterns on the tutorial page here that helped. I found that using these as cut outs and the measurements from this site was the best option for me, but I still had to adjust the sizes of the pockets some to fit my size suit. Some were bigger and some were smaller. So be sure to pin your pattern to your suit and check the sizing before doing the cutting and sewing.

I did not have to rip any seams to attach all my pockets, but it was tricky getting some of the leg pockets done. I did sew a leg together once (twice?). But only cutting is permanent, so no harm/no foul there.

Anyway...here are some links that might help you.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2Km_5BRxJ1NcVEydjZFdlNkSjQ/edit

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2Km_5BRxJ1NU01VS2s3aTd2UGM/edit

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2Km_5BRxJ1NTE5pZmg1RkFnQzA/edit

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2Km_5BRxJ1NZTlUYjdiLVZOQmc/edit

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2Km_5BRxJ1NemE3SnJQVzlVRjQ/edit

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2Km_5BRxJ1NSENDamRnVVRRREk/edit

The tutorial here as pattern links, too.
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16097

Like I said, I found neither set of patterns exactly right, but for me, it helped to print out first ones, because they were designed for that, then modify them a little bit per the measurements on the Legion tutorial or just slightly differently for my size.

I'm sure you've found the other tutorials.

Leg Flare Holder
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17178

Ejection Harness
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22083

Belt
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32588

Collar
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=425279

I used all of these straight up except the collar. I couldn't quite get that one to make sense in my head, so I just made a new collar from material from the second suit.

Hope this helps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: