Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d54716bbea4a72696c27eb55e5790e95Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Kylara Fey WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doomsdaydanie ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Kylara Fey WIP Reply with quote

This is a general inquiry and a WIP thread for a character I am hoping can be official, though I have doubts.

The character is named Kylara Fey, a female Mandalorian smuggler from an RPG on HyperRPG on Twitch. She's played by Emma Fyffe and they're 3 seasons in.

I know it's not officially licensed so the chance of this being approved are like >.05%, but I still wanted to try and I'm making the costume none the less because the character is awesome and the actress is amazing!

However, here are the reference photos I am using. Materials should mostly all be in tomorrow. Yay!

Doomsdaydanie ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Kylara Fey WIP (Shirt Update) Reply with quote

So I gathered all my basic materials. Some navy blue scrub pants, some blue safety goggles, a light pink beanie, red lightweight jacket (it's summer and leather is hot!) and dye, all from Amazon. I also got some white ribbon for the hat.

The pants were a little too blue, so I soaked them in about 1/2 a container of dark grey RIT dye, just to give it some darkness. They came out about the same but I think it'll work.

I had an off-white V-neck shirt already in my closet so I used that for the base. I debated whether I wanted to stitch the shirt together or dye it. Ultimately, with some google and fabric dying experience I decided on the later. The dye I chose to use was Walnut brown by Tumble Dye. (100% would recommend, 0% would recommend in the spray bottle format.) That dying process was an entire adventure in and of itself so I'm adding that as a separate post.
Doomsdaydanie ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Kylara Fey WIP (Shirt Update) Reply with quote

So the shirt! It has a very clear design on the front and not one easily reproduced without either making a completely new shirt or having some luck with dye. Luckily, I'm good with dye!

First off I marked out the pattern with a pencil. Then I added painters tape to the INSIDE of the lines. I then used white elmers glue to paint around the edges of the tape to avoid bleeding past the marked lines into the white of the shirt. I did this on both the frontside and inside of the shirt.

After the glue dried (with a little help from a hair dryer) I took the painters tape off and replaced it on the OUTSIDE edge of the lines, overtop of the glue so I'd still have a straight edge to dye over and hopefully continue to avoid the bleeding. I used a thinker painters tape and adding a second layer just in case my dyeing got crazy! Since I as dying it outside, I also taped it to my work surface so the wind wouldn't blow it around.

I took the dye outside and dyed throughout the pattern as well as the collar. (NOTE: It was SUPPOSED to be a spray dye, but it came out in an arch, not all around spray so I ended up ditching the spray bottle all together and painting the dye on with a brush. Not how I wanted to do it, but I had JUST enough to make the whole pattern fully dyed!) It looks speckled in the photo, but it came out just fine in the end.

After letting it dry, I ran it in the dryer for 20 minutes to "set" the dye, then ran it through the wash on warm to get all the glue and excess dye off. It ended up lightening it a bit, but I like the overall look and it was MUCH easier then piecing pieces together and sewing.

Aerologos (Paul)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The character looks really cool! I like what you did with the shirt. Can't wait to see it finished Smile
Doomsdaydanie ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul! I'm going to be working on it some more this weekend hopefully. I want it finished for Fanboy Expo next weekend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: