Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8abd6f2ee4358f38424d22ee1d1100b2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Generic Wookiee... brindle fur?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FirstCoastFett (Forrest Davis)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Generic Wookiee... brindle fur? Reply with quote

so, I've always wanted to build a Chewbacca costume, and one of the other guys in my garrison is almost finished with his Chewie. Which made me think two Chewies is probably too many, and gave me the idea to do something original. I've got a lab/pit mix with a very specific black and brown coat with a white stripe on his chest and white paw. I thought it'd be awesome to mimic this but in wookiee form, but before I get stated all I'm seeing are these standards. would this even fly with this group, or should I just build a Chewbacca?
Evilcritter (Tara Murphy)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if brindle is not allowed you can do a generic Wookiee with different colours and patterns. Or one of the other known Wookiees we have seen.
I kind of suspect brindle will not be allowed, but I am new here too. Plus that would be so hard to do! Swapping colours almost every row.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also love to see a pic of your dog. I have a lab pit mix too, only he is red and white patches. They are the best dogs!
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would make a really cool look. I can tell you stripes are near impossible to make due to the length of the fur and the way it will move/lay. There is no such thing as a hard line in long fur/hair. My build can be a testament to that. Despite my slashes/angles when I was hooking the hair, the colors are a very soft version of those shapes. more like super soft, almost not really that shape lol. It's easier to get colors in the face because you have more control, but can't go totally wild. You can do a pretty nice sunburst look of sorts though. A good example of that is the Wookiee Senator Yarua. (I tried to role model that look with my elder wook)

With that said, when you pattern out your wookiee, remember they are symmetric. Whatever you do to the right, you need to do the left. It is best to draw out your idea and submit it to the judges for feedback. That is what I did....several times. Just remember that your plan on paper is where you are latchhooking and once the hair is laid, it will take a bit different look.

Hope that helps.
Dewkazza - Wookiee Elder (Generic)
Horr'orr - ANH Tusken/Bantha Rider (501st (DZ-91919) & Rebel Legion)
Grand Moff Tarkin (ID-91919)
Tie Pilot Reserve (TI-91919)
Bridge Crew: Engineer (IC-91919)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could post a pic but I don't know how to do this on these forums.

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything specific regarding symmetry. If that's the case, then I definitely can't do the build I want. one of his paws is all white, and the chest is also white--but a stripe that goes up the left side. So def not symmetric. Even if it was, it would still make for a visually stunning wookiee (just my opinion). Granted the brindle would be a challenge, but my pup is mostly black with reddish brown stripes, so virtually all black with peppered reddish brown throughout.

Symmetry aside, I wouldn't mind but the no white fur wouldn't work. unless it was reaaaaaally really light gray Wink[/img]

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to post a pictures, post it first to tumblr, copy the info to clipboard, and paste it between the img tags you can add from the top of your post.
Takes some getting used to.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if I'm doing it right, but here goes

[img]https://www.tumblr.com/blog/firstcoastfett[/img]

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are making the same mistake I did the first time. Select the photo you want to post, and copy that link. Not the album link.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilcritter wrote:
Even if brindle is not allowed you can do a generic Wookiee with different colours and patterns. Or one of the other known Wookiees we have seen.
I kind of suspect brindle will not be allowed, but I am new here too. Plus that would be so hard to do! Swapping colours almost every row.

it would appear not much is allowed with a generic wookiee, but would be the only brindle wookiee in existence...a challenge yes, but i could pull it off. whenever the powers that be loosen their grip on the rules, I'd get started. no point in wasting my time on a costume too cool for rebel legion standards. besides, in my experience 90% of people will call me chewie anyway. besides the cost factor, this is probably a reason there aren't many wookiees
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is brindle fur?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
What is brindle fur?

brindle is a type of colored fur pattern in many animals (almost like tiger stripes)
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, never knew that term. You learn something knew everyday.

A costume judge hasn't weighed in yet, so I don't know whether or not a brindle fur Wook would be approved. It would help to see some pictures. I tried going to your Tumblr but it doesn't seem to be public.
My best guess is no. The reason is the same reason that your Boba Fett costume is approvable in the 501st but a custom Mando isn't.
Both the 501st and Rebel Legions stick to what's established in the Star Wars Canon and Legends. We've seen all sorts of Wookiee hair colors and patterns, but as far as I know, no brindle fur.

That doesn't mean that people don't make and wear custom costumes, it's just that they aren't officially approved by the Legions. There is the Mando Mercs if you do a custom Mando, although Legion members were doing custom Mandos long before the Mercs were around.

We'll help you make your costume either way, as much as we're able. But for approval, just understand what these clubs are and what they aren't; they are Star Wars re-enactors, more or less.
Bacca9 (Jamie)
Assistant Legion Membership Officer
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt has hit it spot on. Fur patterns and colours have to match what has been established by in universe sources. All the Wookiees we see have splotches of colour and exhibit symmetry right and left in the pattern. We haven't seen any striped or brindled Wookiees. That isn't to say that future cannon will change this, but currently, that is what we base our decisions off of.

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
Apollo Base Commanding Officer
Legion Costume Judge
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FirstCoastFett wrote:
Evilcritter wrote:

it would appear not much is allowed with a generic wookiee, but would be the only brindle wookiee in existence...a challenge yes, but i could pull it off. whenever the powers that be loosen their grip on the rules, I'd get started. no point in wasting my time on a costume too cool for rebel legion standards. besides, in my experience 90% of people will call me chewie anyway. besides the cost factor, this is probably a reason there aren't many wookiees

I think you are kinda selling the generic wookiee short....
I am a generic and I am the only one with my colors. To my knowledge I am the only one that would be considered an elder and while that was not my intention, I am okay with it cause I have the colors I wanted (same as my Australian Shepherd speaking of pups).

My pattern is not taken from anybody else and may not look the same as I drew it out, but I am still okay with it. I tried and it still looks cool. My back is different than my chest and I did my best to add some swirl/line/etc. into it, but the length of hair will not give you exactly what you want. So it's a fun learning game to see how it looks as you progress and try to get the look you were after. I have pretty much done everything I wanted with it, and so can you with yours. Just takes some back and forth communication with the judges.

No, you can't really use white, but you can use the same light grey I used and in the right lighting, it looks almost white. In fact, I thought I would not get approved if the flash or sun hit it just right so I was outside in the shade taking photos. I wanted to make sure it was a true representation of my work.

The cost is not very expensive either compared to many other builds. The expense is in the time you invest in it. It does not come quick or easy. Lots of hours go into the suit.

So basically what I am saying, is don't just give up. If you truly want a wookiee, you can do it. You can make something similar to what you are looking for and still meet the guidelines, it just takes a little creativity and thought. Lord knows, I drove the judges mad because I kept pestering them about colors and asking why? Took me about 3 months to get to the point where there was a good common ground we could all be okay with. So go for it! Seriously, don't just throw in the towel unless you aren't really serious about the wookiee. Where there is a will there is a way is very true.

I hope we can see the image you tried to share soon, and if you need any ideas or feedback before talking the judges, just ask. Plenty of us have been in your shoes and we're here to help support each other.
Dewkazza - Wookiee Elder (Generic)
Horr'orr - ANH Tusken/Bantha Rider (501st (DZ-91919) & Rebel Legion)
Grand Moff Tarkin (ID-91919)
Tie Pilot Reserve (TI-91919)
Bridge Crew: Engineer (IC-91919)
mattcamaro (L. Matt Darling)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pitbull-info-and-training.com/images/xbrindlepitbullpup1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.uJMGVjKnCe.jpg

most brindle dogs are short hair. Would be hard to do. As as stated before stripes like that are not present in any of the references. to the colors would be ok just not the patter/stripes
Senate Guard
X-Wing Pilot

Wear the Hair!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: