Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=604a37a45e3d8726ef577e09ba240966Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Making Wookiee Mask Project
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gato ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject: Making Wookiee Mask Project Reply with quote

So I've studied Chef's tutorials and read Ryan Rick's blog (these guys are awesome) and thought it was time to try my hand at making the mask.

This is my first time working with fiberglass, so I hope I don't forget a step along the way.

Here we go:
I started making a plaster bandage wrap of my face. I had alginate to do it right, but I thought it would give my wife a reason to suffocate me, so I decided to do it myself and went this route. I figured that it didn't need all the details since I would be sculpting over it.

gato ()

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plaster bandages dried for about 10-15 minutes and I took it off before it was totally dry. I applied Vaseline to my face and plastic wrap over my hair so it came off with minimal effort. I mixed up some plaster and poured it in the plaster bandage negative and got this:

gato ()

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beginning stages of the sculpt. I added clay everywhere except the eye sockets then smoothed it out. I'm waiting to get the general shape before adding the mouth and nose features. I decided the snot was too long and looked weird so I continued to work on it.

gato ()

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took off some of the snout and worked on the nose some

gato ()

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked on it for 2 days trying to get the nose and mouth line right. I settled for this. Then right before I was about to mix up the GEL coat, I worked on it another hour. This was the final pic I got before the GEL coat stage.

gato ()

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixed up 50/50 fiberglass resin and Bondo = Rondo GEL coat. I didn't have any mold release, so I used liquid dish soap on the clay and border. I hope it works.

Last edited by gato () on Wed May 02, 2018 4:05 am; edited 1 time in total
gato ()

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I let it dry overnight and added another coat. Almost forgot the register keys.
gato ()

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I let the GEL coat dry for 2-3 hours and then added the first coat of fiberglass tonight. I don't like working with the fiberglass cloth. It was kind of thick and took a lot of resin to saturate it. I might need to get some fiberglass mat and see how that works out.

gato ()

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just layed up a second layer of fiberglass. Gonna add some Rondo mix to the flange area to give it some strength in about 30 minutes from now, then let it sit and finish up the night with the third and final fiberglass application.
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see this. I may end up having to do something similar in the future.
Dewkazza - Wookiee Elder (Generic)
Horr'orr - ANH Tusken/Bantha Rider (501st (DZ-91919) & Rebel Legion)
Grand Moff Tarkin (ID-91919)
Tie Pilot Reserve (TI-91919)
Bridge Crew: Engineer (IC-91919)
gato ()

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was difficult to get the plaster cast of my face out because I didn't lay some clay around the edges and some of the Rondo leaked under and I had to chip away at it for an hour to start digging out the clay around the edges. I pryed the plaster face cast out finally and the clay was scraped out. I wasn't worried about getting all the little clay specs out because I'm going to lay a 1/4" bed of clay back in there to leave the void for the silicone to lay for the face. I also repaired some of the edges of the negative with bondo.

gato ()

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layed the clay 1/4" thick and checked the measurement with a toothpick to make sure it was layed evenly all around.
gato ()

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pva time. It is a liquid that dries to a thin plastic film. It helps to separate the fiberglass shells. I've added some Vaseline down first because my partall wax didn't come in yet. Then I brushed on the pva
with a foam brush. Let it dry 30-45 minutes between each of the three coats.

gato ()

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lifting off the fiberglass inner shell off. Just did 1 layer on the inner shell.
gato ()

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slight problem...This is what happens if there is moisture inside the mold. Fiberglass doesn't like water and I used water on the clay to smooth it out and didn't let it dry. I'm gonna still use it. Just let it dry overnight and add some more resin to lay the mat back down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: