Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8f9cc8faf6fe3645fb038f57532a1e10Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

My ANH ceremonial costume thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnuJ (Anu Leia Joelsson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: My ANH ceremonial costume thread Reply with quote

Hi , fellow Leias and judges!
I have an ANH senatorial costume and now decided to go for a ceremonial costume, too. This time I feel that I would love to have support along my path since the gown seems so much more complicated to me. Sadly, I really can稚 sew myself and just like with my senatorial gown, I need help. I知 currently communicating with a lady in Italy (I think) who seems familiar with the standards, fabric requirements etc. She also has promised to send pictures along the process which I appreciate a lot.
While I知 eagerly waiting for my next salary so I can get started with the dress process, I知 currently looking up all the other accessories and details. For the hair, I知 very grateful for your tutorials and will start creating it very soon. I used kanekalon hair for my senatorial buns and plan using the same colour and material this time, too. It matches my own hair very well and I知 so happy each time people really think my buns are made of my own hair.
What do you think about these shoes? http://www.sarenza.se/steve-madden-tomorrow-s1800-p0000162704
I知 looking around and still hope to find something cheaper but I want to be sure that I知 on the right track:)
Jemini Organa ()

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I'm also on the precess of making a ceremonial costume, I'm almost done with the dress (it needs a little adjustment on the pleat at the neckline, which I'm working on atm) and about to start with the belt and the hair.
I'm also using kanekalon hair for the braid and I think it looks good, I bought a clip-in bun as I have short hair and I braided two pieces of kanekalon extensions, one is going to be under the bun to reach my lower back and the other one is going to be attached around the bun, but I'm still trying to figure out how to do it without glueing it.
About the shoes I think they look good! Mine are from amazon, a bit cheaper than Steve Madden's ones: https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B06WLN27HJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
But according to the ".se" at your page url I'm guessing that you live in Sweden, so I don't know how much will the shipping cost, maybe they end up beeing more expensive that the ones you found (I got mine with free shipping).
Anyway good luck with the costume! It's a bit complicated, the V shape under the bust is hard to get (I had to redo mine, it wasn't a straight line the first time I tried) and the pleat, as you can't have any visible stitching along the neckline, but it's a really beautiful dress Leia Buns
AnuJ (Anu Leia Joelsson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jemini Organa wrote:
Hi! I'm also on the precess of making a ceremonial costume, I'm almost done with the dress (it needs a little adjustment on the pleat at the neckline, which I'm working on atm) and about to start with the belt and the hair.
I'm also using kanekalon hair for the braid and I think it looks good, I bought a clip-in bun as I have short hair and I braided two pieces of kanekalon extensions, one is going to be under the bun to reach my lower back and the other one is going to be attached around the bun, but I'm still trying to figure out how to do it without glueing it.
About the shoes I think they look good! Mine are from amazon, a bit cheaper than Steve Madden's ones: https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B06WLN27HJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
But according to the ".se" at your page url I'm guessing that you live in Sweden, so I don't know how much will the shipping cost, maybe they end up beeing more expensive that the ones you found (I got mine with free shipping).
Anyway good luck with the costume! It's a bit complicated, the V shape under the bust is hard to get (I had to redo mine, it wasn't a straight line the first time I tried) and the pleat, as you can't have any visible stitching along the neckline, but it's a really beautiful dress Leia Buns

Thank you so much for your reply and shoe advise. I知 very grateful! I think I値l order the ones on Amazon once I have ordered the dress. Hair is ordered and I hope it arrives in a few weeks.
I知 currently in touch with two different persons at Etsy who could be possible dress makers. I知 waiting fo pictures from their previous Ceremonial dress. If one of them can稚 show me any, I feel too uncertain about ordering from her, even if she seems very good and polite.
Daughter of Alderaan (Joy Lochelt)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Anju-

I think the trickiest part for people is the low scoop neckline, inverted "v" seam placement, and front pleat- also people can sometimes struggle by putting a center back zipper which is not acceptable as there should be no center back seam on the bodice of the dress.

Hope that helps when evaluating seamstresses!

Photos by Robbins Studios

In Progress:Padme Loyalist Gown, Leia Raddus Bridge
AnuJ (Anu Leia Joelsson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Very useful info:)
I知 eagerly waiting and hope to dare to proceed very soon.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with it, Anu. Smile
It's a beautiful costume, but you are right that it is not the easiest to make.

As for attaching the extensions to the bun: hair pins. Lots and lots of hair pins. I'll bend and twist mine to ensure they stay in place since they have to hold a lot of hair. (I use three packs of kanekalon in addition to my own hair).

I agree that the hardest part are the inverted V, the diagonal pleat, and the neckline without any visible stitching. The lower portion of the dress is an A-line shape.
You can have an invisible zipper in one of your side seams, left is recommended, just like you can have hidden hooks and eyes closure on the left shoulder. (And yes, that is screen accurate). Wink

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Leia_Miau ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I though it was easy....I sew....unstich....sew again....unstich again.... I hate the neckline XD
Nice shoes girls. I have mines from a Spanish shop at a reasonable price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: