Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=961b305df9eda536157d762be90ab81eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

[New] Mission Vao
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> DB94 Standards Development -> DB94 New Standards In Progress
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coryphefish (Colleen J)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: [New] Mission Vao Reply with quote

(Compiled from comments below. Join us! And happy 15th anniversary to the greatest Star Wars Story ever told!)

Lekku:
Muted medium blue/light blue/aqua skin color. Three leather or leather-like bands on each lek. The top band is wider than the bottom two bands and is similar to the headgear in color. The bottom two bands are approximately the same width and may either black or the same brown as the top. (Optional: Both lekku hang down over the front of the shoulders.)

Skin:
Matches Lekku

Headgear:
Leather or leather-like brown head wrap with brown ear cones. Detailed/tooled to resemble the game model.

Armband:
Leather or leather-like band worn on upper left arm

Shirt:
Sleeveless black shirt with turtle neck

Vest:
  • The vest is gray and padded. Material is medium weight natural fabric.
  • There are two matching large, square breast pockets with lighter Y-shaped closures, one on each side. These are sewn onto larger squares that may (or may not) also be pockets.
  • The right side has a smaller square pocket with a flap on the bottom of the vest.
  • The left side bottom has a similar smaller square pocket (?) but with two smaller pockets with flaps attached to the front.
  • Below the arms, on the sides, are horizontally quilted or pleated insets with 6 sections.
  • (optional) The vest back has a yoke below the arm holes.
  • (optional) The vest has an elastic waistband, seam, or topstitching detail that sits just below the natural waist, below the pants belt.
  • The vest itself has a brown/tan leather or leather-like belt (1.5"?) that has rounded rectangle details on each side, achieved by top-stitching, tooling, or a thin piece of the same material in the same color. The D-shaped tab on the left and right front is achieved with the same effect and is wider, reaching the upper and lower edges.
  • It has 2 rivets next to the tabs and 2 rivets under the arms. (Rivets may be flat or rounded)
  • The back of the vest has two belt loops, behind which the belt slips into the inside of the vest through a casing.
  • The vest shoulder pads are flat rectangular-shaped and reinforced (with interfacing).

Belt:
Leather or leather like belt with a rectangular silver buckle. Color is comparable to vest belt.
(Optional) Belt buckle is either curved outward or is in the shape of a downward pointed chevron.
(Optional) The buckle has a smaller, similarly shaped greeblie or detail in the center.

Pants:
Fitted breeches without belt loops or zip fly. Pockets on either side. Color is either beige, natural, off-white, light gray, cream, or ivory.

Boots:
Brown or dark brown leather that have seams on the sides. They are thigh-high with a low heel and folded over at the top. Boots may have a discreet inner zipper
(Optional) There is also a seam, topstitching, or tooling detail across the toe

Knee pads:
Silver, rectangular, and beveled, with a bent angle and a rounded rectangle greeblie or decal in the center. These are attached to a dark brown base (leather or leather-like?) and attached to the leg with elastic in a similar color to the belts.

Gloves:
Wrist-length gloves that cover the entire hand and are dark brown leather or leather-like.

Weapon (optional, choose one configuration.)

1. One or two blaster pistols
2. Blaster rifle
3. One or two vibroblades
4. One double vibroblade

Commanding Officer, Docking Bay 94 Detachment
2017/18: DXO DB94, BMO Freedom Base

"Translation: Two percent probability that the organic is simply looking for trouble and needs to be blasted.
That may be wishful thinking on my part, master."
~HK-47

Last edited by coryphefish (Colleen J) on Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:33 pm; edited 7 times in total
Restill (Jessica)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy 15th anniversary, KOTOR! I'm really excited about starting this standard, this costume has so much to offer.

So this is what I'm seeing - I hope somebody comes along and tells me I'm wrong before I start putting this thing together! Very Happy

Shirt: Black sleeveless turtleneck

Vest: This is what I'm seeing so far. The vest is gray and padded with two matching large, square breast pockets with Y-shaped pleats (?), one on each side. These are sewn onto larger squares that may (or may not) also be pockets. The right side has a smaller square pocket with a flap on the bottom of the vest. The left side bottom has a similar smaller square pocket (?) but with two smaller pockets with flaps attached to the front. Below the arms, on the sides, are quilted (or pleated) insets with 6 sections. The vest back has a yoke below the arm holes. The vest may have an elastic waistband that sits just below the natural waist, below the pants belt (but the waistband isn't visible in the back?). The vest itself has a leather belt (1.5"?) that is top-stitched on the top and bottom, has a D-shaped tab on the left and right sides. It has 2 rivets next to the tabs and 2 rivets under the arms. The back of the vest has two belt loops, behind which the belt slips into the inside of the vest through a casing. The vest shoulder pads are flat rectangular-shaped and reinforced (with interfacing).
Also what fabric could the vest be made of? I've seen a few people using cotton fabrics.

The pants: These look like riding breeches to me, beige, natural, off-white, ivory-colored. They have pockets on either side, are fitted, but no belt loops or zip fly.

The belt: Brown leather (comparable color to vest belt) with an almost square-shaped silver buckle. The buckle has a a pointed decal in the center.

Knee pads: Silver, rectangular, and beveled, with a bent angle. These are attached to a dark brown base (leather?) and attached to the leg with elastic.

Boots: Dark brown leather that have seams on the sides and across the toe. They are thigh-high and folded over at the top.

Gloves: Gloves cover the entire hand and are dark brown leather.

Darth Sunshine (Andrea)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started drafting some standards for Mission a few years ago when I started updating my costume.

Required Items

1. Light blue body color on all exposed skin

2. Blue Lekku with three leather or leather-like brown bands on each lek

3. Leather or leather-like brown head wrap

1. Brown ear cones
  2. Detailed/tooled to resemble the game model

4. Sleeveless black shirt with turtle neck

5. Grey vest

1. Tan waist belt that disappears into a “sleeve” in the back with four silver studs on each side, may be flat or rounded
  2. Pockets on front resembling the model
  3. Two smaller pouches below the belt on the left side
  4. Inset panel on side, with horizontal stitching

6. Leather or leather-like band worn on upper left arm

7. Off-White pants, leaning towards grey or cream.

1. Pants have two front pockets, no pockets on the back
  2. Pants have no front fly.

8. Tan belt with rectangular buckle

9. Brown thigh high boots with a flat to low (1.5 in?) heel.

1. May have a discreet zipper on the inside.

10. Grey knee pads

1. Straps holding them on are similar color to boots

11. Brown wrist length gloves

Optional

1. Blaster

2. Twin blasters

3. Blaster Rifle

4. Vibro blade

Proud to be part of Kessel Base - Starblossom Delegation Leader - RLGS council member

WIP: Hera Syndulla & Jarael
Future: X-Wing Pilot | Mission Vao v2 | Way too many Padmé costumes

deviantArt | IG
Darth Sunshine (Andrea)
Active Legion Member

Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restill wrote:
Vest: This is what I'm seeing so far. The vest is gray and padded with two matching large, square breast pockets with Y-shaped pleats (?), one on each side.

I think the Y shaped parts are part of the flaps. I wish they'd remake or remaster the game so we'd have higher res models and could tell more easily. lol

Restill wrote:
The vest may have an elastic waistband that sits just below the natural waist, below the pants belt (but the waistband isn't visible in the back?).

I think that's a waist band too, it's just weirdly rendered cause video game logic. They're an all the way around thing and don't just go poof for one panel. Also there are pockets on top of it, how are we supposed to make that work in real life? XD

Restill wrote:

Also what fabric could the vest be made of? I've seen a few people using cotton fabrics.

I went for a cotton/poly twill. The texturing/coloring on the model and also type of vest doesn't suggest any sort of insulated/shiny material, so I figured a matte and fairly heavy cotton blend was the way to go.

Restill wrote:

The belt: Brown leather (comparable color to vest belt) with an almost square-shaped silver buckle. The buckle has a a pointed decal in the center.

I think this may actually be just some random texturing that was slapped on to avoid some awkward flatness, kinda like how the vest has a lot of grey lines on the back that don't appear to be seams, and the knee pads have a U on them.

Restill wrote:

Knee pads: Silver, rectangular, and beveled, with a bent angle. These are attached to a dark brown base (leather?) and attached to the leg with elastic.

Boots: Dark brown leather that have seams on the sides and across the toe. They are thigh-high and folded over at the top.

There's definitely a base behind them. I used elastic to keep my old ones on.

I think the top part is just an extra section sewn on, kinda like these. It could also be interpreted as a fold over, but I think that might turn out kinda bulky irl.

Proud to be part of Kessel Base - Starblossom Delegation Leader - RLGS council member

deviantArt | IG
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's my album of reference images from my old build:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/39639089@N05/albums/72157632486636056/with/9449720396/

I applied once and then forgot to re-apply after I made fixes, mostly because Celebration was busy and I forgot to take photos. I can tell you the items I was told to watch for: scale of the front of the headpiece, making sure it curves in towards your face and doesn't stick out on the sides, and those F&*$#&%ing boots.

More than anything I'd advise some measure of leniency on those boots. They flat out don't exist at the height they need to be. My second pair of more acceptable boots are actually black, because for the life of me I couldn't find a) good enough dark brown over-the-knee boots at the time, and b) matching that precise shade would be difficult. Extending black over-knee boots though? Easy. And they looked a lot better than my attempt at making them myself, as I am not a cobbler. Ultimately I guess I could paint them brown, but given the lighting in the game makes them appear near black half the time, if someone applied with black boots I wouldn't see that as the end of the world, especially given how difficult they are to source.

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Celestia Delegation Leader
Restill (Jessica)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Sunshine wrote:
I think that's a waist band too, it's just weirdly rendered cause video game logic. They're an all the way around thing and don't just go poof for one panel. Also there are pockets on top of it, how are we supposed to make that work in real life? XD

I'm very happy with just having the waistband go all the way around the vest from left front panel to right front panel, because what vest has ever had a disappearing waistband?

Darth Sunshine wrote:

I went for a cotton/poly twill. The texturing/coloring on the model and also type of vest doesn't suggest any sort of insulated/shiny material, so I figured a matte and fairly heavy cotton blend was the way to go.

I'm so glad you said this because twill is such a joy to work with. So for selfish reasons (and practical vest reasons), I agree!

Darth Sunshine wrote:

I think the top part is just an extra section sewn on, kinda like these. It could also be interpreted as a fold over, but I think that might turn out kinda bulky irl.

I was thinking about this too, and I prefer the idea of the top part of the boot being an extra section; maybe interfaced for stability? I know Lisa (JediDWH) was having trouble keeping her boots up. Interfacing would help, right?

As for the boot color, I definitely see how it would be difficult to find boots that are dark brown at that height. To get the seams, it would almost seem like we'd need to make boot covers by wrapping our legs and making patterns that way, which means we can not only add in the seams, but choose the dark brown colored fabric for the boots. I'm willing to try it! Painting is another great option; I know there are vinyl spray paints available that would give an even coat to black boots, if it was absolutely necessary. If it is really too difficult to do all this, maybe allowing black boots for approval should be acceptable.
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my main thing: Video game costumes are full of a lot of weird, tiny details that may or may not make sense. I remember when I submitted my Kira Carsen costume, I was worried I'd get kickback for not including some of them- things that were poor resolution or I couldn't figure out a practical way to make them happen. In the end, it was one of my faster approvals because while I didn't get every little detail, I got a lot of them. So I'd hate to see a standard get so overly detailed that it makes the costume unattainable. It's already hard enough to find people who even do the costume.

Mission Vao is a great character and I'd love to see better resources for people to make her costume! I just don't want to scare people off with things like specific boot seams or details like "the boots fold over on top." If there's one thing I've learned about video game/comics costumes (and y'alls can check my profile to see how much I do this, haha), it's that there's more than one way to skin a cat, and different ways can be equally as valid. The people who actually recognize you will still love you for it. Mr. Green

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
coryphefish (Colleen J)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, hi everyone! This was a nice surprise to come back to after tabling at a con this weekend Smile

I set up a secondary reference image album on Google Drive, added Jessica's photos, then made a draft resource page for Mission. There's a light on now!
http://db94.rebellegion.com/?page_id=4222

(Lisa if you want to share your images, send me your email, and I'll give you edit permission to the folder!)

I'll start getting everyone's input added. More detail is better, but the more nitpicky items will end up with an "(optional)" header.

"Translation: Two percent probability that the organic is simply looking for trouble and needs to be blasted.
~HK-47
coryphefish (Colleen J)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And done! This is amazing--someone could already use this to make an extremely accurate costume. With some more tweaking and maybe some more input, we'll be ready for a vote.

(Which items or details are REALLY necessary, and which should be optional?)

~HK-47
Darth Sunshine (Andrea)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coryphefish wrote:
(Which items or details are REALLY necessary, and which should be optional?)

I think with this costume, the "10 foot rule" should be applied generously. Like Lisa said video game costumes are full of lots of weird, tiny details. It's difficult to discern exactly what the heck is going on and many of these things may not translate well into real life. I think the "we can't tell if this is texturing or actually a seam or something" bits should be optional (the chevron on the belt, the Us on the knee pads, etc) for the over achievers who wish to take a shot at them.

Btw, Colleen, I have a whole heck ton of pictures of her model up close and personal. Want me to send them your way for the collection?

coryphefish wrote:
Three leather or leather-like brown bands on each lek. The top band is wider than the middle one which is wider than the bottom one.

I think that the middle one looks a smidge thinner than the bottom one. Might be best to word this as “The top band is wider than the bottom two bands. The bottom two bands are approximately the same width.”

coryphefish wrote:
(The lekku) hang down over the front of the shoulders.

On one hand I agree with this as Mission is never seen wearing her lekku behind her back, but at the same time I don’t necessarily think that should be a hard requirement in the standards since lekku that can be draped over the shoulders (without unattractive creasing) aren’t readily available for purchase, and I think it should be up to the costumer if they want to risk getting paint on the vest. See below and please forgive the body paint that batch came out waaaaaaay too light:

The crease and the way the ends stick out just looks awkward in real life. I feel like it detracts from the overall look and realism of the costume, which is why I only wore it that way when I needed to shift the weight of the lekku on my head for a bit for comfort’s sake.

With a character this obscure the members of the general public aren't going to recognize wearing the lekku behind the shoulders as a glaring inaccuracy. It probably looks better with the silicone lekku that have become available recently thanks to the fantastical Pam, but it’s something to consider.

coryphefish wrote:
The vest back has a yoke below the arm holes.

I'm not 100% sure that it has a yoke. I think it's just texturing like the rest of the stuff on the back, as it disappears on the side, but then again that is about where a side seam would go in real life. I debated it for a bit and chose to leave it out in my last rendition.

coryphefish wrote:
The vest may have an elastic waistband that sits just below the natural waist, below the pants belt.

I agree that this should be optional. Depending on your torso length, it might be difficult to incorporate that in, and might also cause some awkward bunching/blousing of the vest in real life. People could just have a seam or top stitching around the bottom instead.

coryphefish wrote:
The vest itself has a brown/tan leather or leather-like belt (1.5"?) that is top-stitched on the top and bottom, has a D-shaped tab on the left and right sides.

I think it should say something like “top-stitching or tooling” for that that long strip in the middle of the belt. I actually just glued a long strip of vinyl on top of it my belt last time.

coryphefish wrote:
Belt: Leather or leather like belt with a rectangular silver buckle. The buckle has a a downward pointed chevron greeblie or decal in the center. Color is comparable to vest belt. (optional: Belt buckle shape is also a downward pointed chevron with angles similar to the greeblie)

I think just a rectangular belt buckle should be required, greeblie optional if you want one. Requiring one would mean finding something that looks similar and would fit the curve of the belt buckle, custom making a belt buckle, or laser etching in this detail. Too big a barrier for such a small detail methinks.

I think the point in the buckle is just created by limitations of the graphics; what would be a smooth curve with todays tech was rendered as a pointy bit 15 years ago. If you look at the tan part of the belt it has similar points as it wraps around her body.

coryphefish wrote:
Boots: Brown or dark brown leather that have seams on the sides and across the toe.

I think the seams across the toe should be optional, as they’re only noticeable if you’re looking very closely for them on the model.

I agree with Lisa that there should to be leniency regarding the boots. I’ve been looking for good boots on and off for 10 years (not kidding here, debuted my first version of Mission in ’08 ), but I’ve never found brown ones close in height. A friend of mine who’s a *really* hard core Kotor fan was confused when I complained I couldn’t find brown thigh high boots, as he thought her’s were black. Maybe the standards could be written so that black is acceptable, but brown is preferred.

Restill wrote:
I was thinking about this too, and I prefer the idea of the top part of the boot being an extra section; maybe interfaced for stability? I know Lisa (JediDWH) was having trouble keeping her boots up. Interfacing would help, right?

Interfacing might help. I just looked at the Funtasma ones I use, and they seem to have a layer of interfacing sandwiched between the pleather and another layer of pleather at the top section. I think the real trick is that the shaft has to be sturdy enough not to slouch though. These boots are also fold over boots and so the interfacing might be in there to help it stick out and have a nice bell shape when folded over.

deviantArt | IG
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm basically on board with everything Andrea said- a light touch with this costume is a much better approach, especially considering that in the 15 years since the game was released, not a single one has been approved and there just aren't a lot of us who have tried to start with.

Re: boots- so they're still not perfect, but this is what I landed on last time I took this costume out for a spin:

I found a pair of black over-knee boots in a window of time when those were really fashionable (are they still? I don't know, I haven't had to look for them in a few years). I then had some extra heavy vinyl that I was able to use to extend the boots up. Overall it was a much better look than my first attempt at boot covers made from a stretchy dark brown vinyl... yes, technically that pair had more accurate seams but they also looked super homemade because I'm not a cobbler.

No joke, I've only ever come across one pair of boots that looked anywhere close to what I needed out of the box, and even those were black. Most thigh high boots that start their life this high come with 4-6 inch stiletto heels because, well, they're stripper boots. I think I found the one suitably high, flat pair of boots in a motorcycle catalog, ha.

Truthfully, very few people recognize Mission. But they still dig that you're a Twi'lek even if they don't know you're someone specific. So good looking lekku and clean body paint are some of the most important elements of this costume. Everything else can fall under the 10-foot rule. As my old costume shop boss used to tell me, "if you can't see it from the front row, it didn't happen."

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, this is a tiny detail but technically not all three bands are the dark brown leather. It's really hard to tell because her dark browns are so dark, but if you lighten the images the bottom two bands go black, not brown. So, while I wouldn't reject someone for having dark brown bands, I also wouldn't codify that in the standard since it's not technically correct. Razz

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)
Assistant Membership Officer
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 4 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy, as this is a video game costume you wouldnt want to call out types of fabric. IE: Twill

Just say " medium weight natural fabric" Smile

LMO 501st Legion ALMO Rebel Legion
coryphefish (Colleen J)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draft is up to date and better than ever!

Oh duh, of course the lekku over the shoulder should be optional. Imagine doing all that makeup for approval photos and getting an email in two weeks like. "Your costume is 100% approvable, but you have to put the entire thing back on and take all your pics all over again, but with your lekku hanging slightly differently. Otherwise you'll be denied."

For the boots, I know KOTOR has a lot of dark environments. How brown do they look on Tatooine or Rakata? I can pull up a save if nobody has reference photos. Leather paint works really well on pleather btw.

Anyone who has too many reference photos to post here, PM me your email, and I'll get you permissions to add photos to her Google Drive folder.

~HK-47
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look really dark on Rakata.

[/url]\

Honestly I never realized they were brown until I started lightening images to bring out more detail.

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> DB94 Standards Development -> DB94 New Standards In Progress All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: