Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7eb1f8507de0091bd5b814426f3376b3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Oregon Tarfful Build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Some progress Reply with quote

Well, its been really hot here so I've been avoiding the garage (workspace) as much as I can. I did however do some work on Tarfful's nose and spent a little bit trying to make some teeth. I've got a guy about 3 hours away that does professional dentures for people who wants to help me get more real looking teeth for all our masks so I think all I have to do is come up with a mold I like and then he is going to help me learn how to make those.

[img]Untitled by Josh Beckett, on Flickr

[/img]Untitled by Josh Beckett, on Flickr

[img]Untitled by Josh Beckett, on Flickr[/img]
Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Underskull Reply with quote

SPent some time smoothing out the inside of the underskull tonight. Especially in the nose bridge I didnt do a great job of laying the fiberglass so there were some sharp spots. I smoothed those out and then put a coat of XTC over the whole thing. I'll do some more sanding tomorrow. The XTC really stiffens up any areas of the fiberglass that flex so I like to coat the inside of any areas where we maybe didnt put fiber thick enough. Hoping to work on jaw cuts tomorrow. This darn heat has been making it really tough to find the motivation to get in the garage.

Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: cut out the jaw hinge tonight Reply with quote

Started cutting up the underskull.

The teeth we're using to mock up here are Jason's Chewie teeth. We were just using them to get started on the cuts and get an idea for how this mask is going to look with teeth in it since I'm still fine tuning the sculpt on the teeth for Tarfful. Although I must say, the Chewie teeth look pretty close to the Tarfful teeth and they look pretty good also.[/img]

I also got some fun cards in the mail today, Not sure if anyone has these but I just started getting back into card collecting (I used to collect baseball/football cards when I was younger). Anyway, thought these were fun. Joonas is going to be at Rose City Comic Con in September near me so I was thinking I'd get him to sign the card on the far right. Peter and his wife were up in WA not too long ago and, of course, with all the busy chaos I only got him to sign my 40th black series Chewie figure but I forgot to have him sign my old Chewie card so I'll try again at Celebration I suppose if he's able to make it.

The Wookiee Workshop ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh, that looks like a straight casting off of my teeth man. The shape and design is what I did, even the wrong teeth I put in so I know my set from others and the drop cut I did on the plates. I didnt give anyone permission to cast and copy my teeth. Please explain why I am seeing my work like this. Please know that I can see the difference between what came out of the mold and the clay mock up you made.
Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="The Wookiee Workshop"]Josh, that looks like a straight casting off of my teeth man. The shape and design is what I did, even the wrong teeth I put in so I know my set from others and the drop cut I did on the plates. I didnt give anyone permission to cast and copy my teeth. Please explain why I am seeing my work like this. Please know that I can see the difference between what came out of the mold and the clay mock up you made.[/quote]

Jason, I apologize, I thought I was pretty clear in the above post about how the teeth we used for the mock up were yours (I put that below the photos and maybe could have stated that right from the start to make it more clear). I have zero intention or desire to steal anyoneís work and use it for my own gain.
ladysolo14 ()
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very serious accusations have been made above. I've made the LCOG aware of the situation. Please keep all discussion civil per the charter code of conduct.
Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ladysolo14"]Some very serious accusations have been made above. I've made the LCOG aware of the situation. Please keep all discussion civil per the charter code of conduct.[/quote]

Thank you, if I am doing something wrong I would like to know so that I can make the appropriate changes. If itís possible to incorporate any of my Facebook post thread into this investigation then I would request that since much of our communication has been there.
The Wookiee Workshop ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh you molded my teeth. Thatís not the set I sent you. I can see In pics you posted a cast copy in the background with my kit and teeth there. The mold has identical markings to mine. The clay cast you have has my fingerprints on them. You may be new to making stuff but I know you know what recasting is. You didnít even ask permission to mold my stuff. Which I would not have given. The way I did my teeth was done purposely so I would know them. Giving me credit for my teeth after recasting them isnít cool with me.
Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="The Wookiee Workshop"]Josh you molded my teeth. Thatís not the set I sent you. I can see In pics you posted a cast copy in the background with my kit and teeth there. The mold has identical markings to mine. The clay cast you have has my fingerprints on them. You may be new to making stuff but I know you know what recasting is. You didnít even ask permission to mold my stuff. Which I would not have given. The way I did my teeth was done purposely so I would know them. Giving me credit for my teeth after recasting them isnít cool with me.[/quote]

Jason,

We are new at this. My understanding of recasting was such that it meant someone was doing so for financial, or some kind of business, gain. Please know that it was NEVER our intention to steal your work or use it for any kind of financial or business gain. If recasting is as simple as you say then I am guilty of it.

This was my thinking during this process:

As I was building your kit and my Tarfful kit at the same time I was curious how your teeth would look in Tarfful but I didnít have my Tarfful kit ready for a mock up yet so I molded and cast an extra set so that when the time came for me to prepare some Tarfful teeth I would be able to try them out and still be able to glue the existing set into the Chewie kit I purchased from you. Again, the extra set was simply for my own visual and I knew full well that these were yours and that I would have to sculpt my own set of teeth soon.
After I got to a point where I was ready to try your Chewie teeth in Tarfful I did so and then thought, hmmm if I made a malleable set to try as a mock up then I might get an even better idea of what I needed to sculpt. So with that said, I made a set of your Chewie teeth out of clay and chopped off some of the teeth and replaced them with acrylic teeth that I thought (from references) looked more like Tarfful teeth. Again, I did this knowing full well that this was still not my work and that I would have to sculpt my own.
At that point I was wanting to show some of the progress weíd made on the Tarfful mask and since I hadnít yet sculpted Tarfful teeth I just threw in your Chewie teeth and took photos and posted them to social media not thinking that we were doing anything wrong.
At that point I felt like I had learned enough about how the Tarfful teeth need to look so I sculpted my own which I had planned on doing all along. (hopefully Iíll be able to post photos of those soon).

Please know that if I had known I was doing something that was bad practice or that was going to piss you off I would not have done it. If I had known that the process I was looking at as a ďmock upĒ was, in reality considered ďrecastingĒ then I would have stopped and changed what I was doing immediately. Most importantly, Jason, I consider you a friend as you have been a help to me on a number of occasions
and if I had any idea that what I was doing was going to piss you off then I certainly would have changed what I was doing. It didnít even cross my mind that what I was doing was wrong as I was just thinking, I paid $400 for the kit and as long as Iím not using your work to profit financially then it shouldnít be an issue.

Jason, you said in your post that you thought I knew what recasting was. Unfortunately, I guess I did not. Please know that all definitions of recasting aside if I had known that the process I was going through was even something that you alone considered to be bad practice I would have stopped and changed what I was doing immediately. If itís any consolation please know that I have destroyed the extra casting I made as well as the mold and would gladly send you the $ to cover the extra set of teeth I created.

My brother and I have been sculpting since April I think. Weíve NEVER had any formal training on the intellectual property rights of Sculptors (or whatever thatís called). Just kind of learning as we go.

Jason, as Iíve stated on Facebook, Instagram, and this forum, I apologize for causing you to feel like your work was being used illegally. It was NEVER my intention. I also apologize for causing you to feel like a friend had betrayed you if in fact you felt that way. The decisions I made were made for the simple reasons I stated above and no other reasons. I feel like crap thinking that this caused you to feel that way. Please accept my humble apology.

I would also like to apologize to the people who have been following this. If you have in anyway been offended by what Iíve done please know that this group is full of awesome people that are helpful and that my mistake was unintentional. Iím hopeful that other people who are new at this can find some way to learn from my mistake here and just ask first next time even if the intentions seem harmless.

Jason, again, Iím really sorry, if there is something I can do to make this right I trust you will let me know somehow.
Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Progress Reply with quote

Lots of work on the underskull the last two days. Got most of everything done with the underskull: Springs, cuts, padding, strap, hinges, and felt. The teeth are still a work in progress sort of. These ones are actually mine (sculpted from the ground up) as apposed to the ones I was illegally (ugh lesson learned) using before. I've got a few changes I need to make to them and as you can see the k-9's aren't acrylic yet. My plan with the teeth is to take these down to a friend a few hours south of me who makes dentures and he going to make them look like real teeth so I'm pretty sure these will just end up being the ones we mold and then he is going to show me how to make the really nice ones. For now though, they work great. theres a nice smooth close and open and the mask fit so close to my huge face that I don't really need very much padding.

Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Dreads Reply with quote

With the underskull essentially complete (minus making some better finalized teeth which I'm hoping will happen in the next two weeks), I'm hoping to start hairing this mask. So I spent last night doing more research on how to make dreads and figuring out as best I can where the Tarfful's dreads are location with some level of accuracy. Photos of the backside of Tarfful are rare I think but I done the best I can to find what's out there. There are a few people I can try to get ahold of that might be able to help but I haven't gone down those routes because I feel like I've got some good photos for the time being.

Here are the main reference photos I've been looking at with regard to dread locations and look.

Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Dreads Reply with quote

After research the photos above and watching about 5 or 6 Youtube videos on how to create dreads I finally found the courage to give it a try myself. Up to this point my wife had made an attempt while I was working on something else and she had average results.. So I grabbed two bundles of Jumbo braid and started the backcombing. Heres what I had going.

All in all I was pretty happy for my first dread attempt. I felt like I learned quite a bit about the process. There arent photos here but I used a hair straightener and a wet towel to get the dread to lock in place.
The Wookiee Workshop ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh, you didnt sculpt those teeth. That's a casting of my teeth with the areas drilled out and the Chinese teeth inserted in their place. Its still a casting of my bridge, pallet and fangs.

At this point unless you destroy the molds and all the copies of my teeth that you made including your "make shift sculpt", and sculpt your actual own teeth, I feel I have no other recourse than to contact the captain of the guard and ask that any and all sales from you on this kit and other kits be banned.

I'm sorry to be blunt like this but you cant seriously try to pretend to think that molding my work with out my permission was ok in any way. Even with the intent to change a a few things. Being new to making stuff does not blind you to the many recasting dramas that have happened in your tenure with the RL and 501st.
Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="The Wookiee Workshop"]Josh, you didnt sculpt those teeth. That's a casting of my teeth with the areas drilled out and the Chinese teeth inserted in their place. Its still a casting of my bridge, pallet and fangs.

At this point unless you destroy the molds and all the copies of my teeth that you made including your "make shift sculpt", and sculpt your actual own teeth, I feel I have no other recourse than to contact the captain of the guard and ask that any and all sales from you on this kit and other kits be banned.

I'm sorry to be blunt like this but you cant seriously try to pretend to think that molding my work with out my permission was ok in any way. Even with the intent to change a a few things. Being new to making stuff does not blind you to the many recasting dramas that have happened in your tenure with the RL and 501st.[/quote]

I'm not exactly sure which teeth you're referring to Jason. If your referring to the pictures up above of the teeth on top of a blue and white mixed mold then your correct. As I mentioned in the last post regarding this issue I made a maliable copy of your teeth (for my visual reference), again, knowing full well that I was going to have to sculpt MY OWN set from the ground up before I could call them my own.

The most recent pictures I've posted (the ones of the underskull with the teeth in them) are however MY ACTUAL OWN sculpt. All my own in fact which, again, I mentioned in the last post about this. They started as a ball of monster clay that I heated up in my microwave and shaped to what you see in those photos. They didn't touch anything that was yours. The pallet, k9's, and every single other part of them is all created by me. I made the pallet and the gums and then stuck the acryllic teeth in there. Then pulled them out and made a new mold. If those are the teeth that you are thinking are still yours then I must have done something right I guess. Unfortunately, in person, they don't look as good as yours. Luckily, I am still working on them so they are unfinished. I have several witnesses to my doing this.

Additionally, as I mentioned in my previous post, the mold (1), the extra set of teeth (1), and the clay version (1) of your teeth have already been destroyed. Throughout this process I've done nothing but be 100% transparent. I have no plans to be anything but 100% transparent. Why would I have even posted all the photos I've posted if I ever thought I was doing anything wrong? I stand by every comment I've made through this forum and through social media to this point. If I think of new words that I feel might cause you to believe me then I will do my best to post them. Until then, I will have to live with the fact that you simply don't believe me which I am not in control of.

Prior to learning how to post photos on here a few months ago I was basically never on here. So, in terms of being "blinded", yep that pretty much sums it up. I'm aware of the one guy (can't remember his name) that tried to recast stuff Spina made. I'm not aware of the so called "dramas" your referring to. Accusing me of "pretending" is, I suppose, predictable from your vantage point here since you likely feel hurt. In reality, I'm not pretending to be anything though. My intent was never to "change a few things." My intent was always to sculpt my own set of teeth, which I've done now. Painting a picture of me as someone who willingly stole your stuff with the intention of using it to make $ is simply not true, it's just convenient for someone with all the knowledge you have with regard to building Wookiees. Also, Iím just in the RL no the 501íst.
The Wookiee Workshop ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itís my bridge and fangs with the teeth drilled out. Then in their place you inserted yellow plastic teeth. So no all my work was not destroyed. Iím no longer replying to this. Iím labeling this as recasting. How you defend it at this point is moot. I know my work and the worst part is you didnt even copy it well. All those air bubbles in the fangs.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: