Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e976f20f85fb2b089e3137ac745a51b6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Oregon Tarfful Build
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Oregon Tarfful Build Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Iím going to attempt to build a Tarfful. Thinking Iím going to go about it the same way I did with Chewie using Kanekalon. What are the exact hair colors I need to get for Tarfful?

Mask: gunna attempt to sculpt my own, if that doesnít work Iíll probably try to beg the Chimp once more and if that doesnít work I might try to turn Ryanís kit into a Tarfful.
Suit: mesh with latchooked Kanekalon hoping to get some help finding the correct colors?
Feet: likely some of Ryanís Ep. 3 toes that have worked so well with a Chewie but Iíll have to take another look at some screenshots. Iíll make some aluminum lifts just like I did with Chewie to support my huge fat butt. Lol
Bandolier and armor: not super sure yet. Iíve got access to a 3D printer so i might try to model the armor and boxes and then Iíve got a friend who does awesome leather work. Still need to gather resources and study the screen shots here as well.

Anyway, Iíve been doing huge wide Chewbacca for the better part of two years now and Iím ready to try something new. Iíve got a mesh suit all made for my brother so the Chewie torch is going to pass on to him I think as he does a much more accurate slender Chewie and I feel like with my huge shoulders Iíll
make a good Tarfful.

This time Iím gunna actually try to learn how to post photos on here in an attempt to be helpful and to share the experience.

Feel free to find me on Facebook also, Josh Beckett
Dutchwookiee (Hans van Beek)
Dune Sea Base XO
Dune Sea Base XO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be following this build Wink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too Smile
Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered hair

Sams Beauty was having what seemed like a good sale so I ordered hair for my brothers Chewbacca suit and my Tarfful.

Ordered (all 48Ē packs for some reason itís never cheaper to order the 82Ē packs , not sure why seems like it should be less $ for more but I guess thatís not how it works):

Tarfful
30 packs of 6
30 packs of 8
25 packs of 22 (had to get this from ikickshins as Sams didnít have it as far as I could tell)

Chewie
40 packs of 27
25 packs of 44
15 packs of 6
12 packs of 4

I still have a little hair left over from previous builds so hoping all this will be enough. Iím guessing Iíll have to order more for the dreadlocks because Jamie said they are 2 packs each and I have absolutely no idea how to make them yet so Iíll have to hit up YouTube and see how that works. Thereís gunna be ALOT of latchooking in my future.
tarffred ()

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Josh,

Any progress yet on your Tarfful?
Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="tarffred"]Hello Josh,

Any progress yet on your Tarfful?[/quote]

Yes, quite a bit of progress actually. I havenít learned how to post photos on these forums yet.

Iíve got the mesh suit completed and have started putting hair on the shirt. Iíve got one arm completed and should have the other done in a weeks or so. This suit seems to be taking a lot more hair than the Chewie that I built mostly because of the hot water straightening method I used but Iím really happy with the look Iím getting so far. If you want to find me on FB and shoot me a pm Iím happy to send photos of what Iíve got done thus far. Once I get the shirt fully haired Iím gunna see if I can figure out how to post photos here so other can enjoy the process as well.

Iíve also started laying out the armor with a few sketches and Iím debating having them 3D modeled but I may sculpt them first and then have them scanned. I havenít started the head sculpt yet but will be looking to do that soon.

I also found a friend of a friend that can help me with the dreadlocks.

So far so good
Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iíve also compiled a pretty incredible group of reference photos for this build and would definitely be interested in seeing any photos others have found.
Dune Sea Base XO
Dune Sea Base XO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beckett wrote:
Just ordered hair

Sams Beauty was having what seemed like a good sale so I ordered hair for my brothers Chewbacca suit and my Tarfful.

Ordered (all 48Ē packs for some reason itís never cheaper to order the 82Ē packs , not sure why seems like it should be less $ for more but I guess thatís not how it works):

Tarfful
30 packs of 6
30 packs of 8
25 packs of 22 (had to get this from ikickshins as Sams didnít have it as far as I could tell)

Chewie
40 packs of 27
25 packs of 44
15 packs of 6
12 packs of 4

I still have a little hair left over from previous builds so hoping all this will be enough. Iím guessing Iíll have to order more for the dreadlocks because Jamie said they are 2 packs each and I have absolutely no idea how to make them yet so Iíll have to hit up YouTube and see how that works. Thereís gunna be ALOT of latchooking in my future.

Howmuch did you pay for a pack ?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Dutchwookiee"][quote="Beckett"]Just ordered hair

Tarfful
30 packs of 6
30 packs of 8

Chewie
40 packs of 27
25 packs of 44
15 packs of 6
12 packs of 4

I still have a little hair left over from previous builds so hoping all this will be enough. Iím guessing Iíll have to order more for the dreadlocks because Jamie said they are 2 packs each and I have absolutely no idea how to make them yet so Iíll have to hit up YouTube and see how that works. Thereís gunna be ALOT of latchooking in my future.[/quote]

Howmuch did you pay for a pack ?[/quote]

I got a really good deal because of some holiday sale and then there was another coupon and free shipping. Think I spent like $215.00 for all of it.
Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Tarfful Build Reply with quote

Started sculpting Tarfful a few weeks ago. Feeling really good about this sculpt at this point. I'm going to sit and stare at it for a week or so and work on Chewie to see if I notice any changes I need to make. I've search far and wide for Tarfful reference photos. Does anyone know who sculpted this mask for ROTS? I'd like to try to contact that person and see what they think or if they have anything they could share. Anyway, I feel like I'm getting close.

Also, I just learn how to post photos to this forum FINALLY so I've actually be able to update more with pics.

This is where the sculpt is at currently.
[img]Tarfful Build by Josh Beckett, on Flickr

[/img]Tarfful Build by Josh Beckett, on Flickr

[img]Tarfful Build by Josh Beckett, on Flickr

I also started making the dread beads and I've got about 25 of them made. I've got a guy 3D modeling the ammo boxes for me and hopefully the armor plates too. If that falls through then I'll just sculpt the plates which I kind of want to do anyways.[/img]
Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: mesh suit done Reply with quote

[img]Mesh Tarfful suit by Josh Beckett, on Flickr[/img]
Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: More Sculpting Reply with quote

Spent a few more hours detailing tonight on Tarfful. Alot of work on the nose, even more work on the symmetry of the cheek bones, and eye openings. I don't have any special strategies. I've never sculpted before (just the Gungi and we've got a Chewie sculpt in its early stages) and I've never known anyone in person that sculpts. That being said I'd love to get any feedback as the number of Tarfful reference photos is slim pickens at best.

I need to work on the lips and re texture the nose and lips with the orange peel. I did so much work on this tonight that it voided some prior stuff I had felt good about.
[img]Tarfful Sculpt by Josh Beckett, on Flickr

[/img]Tarfful Sculpt by Josh Beckett, on Flickr

This sculpt is on a 3D print of my own head that's sliced at a tilt so I took a shot with the head standing upright.
Dune Sea Base XO
Dune Sea Base XO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice going Josh , mask is looking real good sofar Very Happy
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Dutchwookiee"]Nice going Josh , mask is looking real good sofar :D[/quote]

Thank you sir
Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent some more time on the nose today. I loved the nose I had but I just kept looking at the nostrils and thinking they were just too flared out so I cut them down and I think they are much more accurate now. Of course chenging them caused some other needed changes but and I think I need to scale back the bottom of the nose some but I think I can handle all that pretty quickly. Anyway, here's the new Tarrful nose job.
[img]Tarfful Sculpt by Josh Beckett, on Flickr[/img]
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: