Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6f846437fc970a471398a4ca7058b98cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Pantone Color of TFA Blue Dress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ellisbelle (Julie Douberly)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Pantone Color of TFA Blue Dress Reply with quote

I saw in the draft of the Crait costume that there were Pantone colors suggested. Has anyone done this with the blue dress from the end of Force Awakens?

I want to put together a 2.0 version. I burned a hole into the underdress of my first version with an iron--right in the middle of the front--the last time I wore it. I could never find fabric in the right color/texture combo but I put together something I was happy with. But as I look again, I think it would be helpful to have a specific color to search for.

The standards say "medium blue-gray" and all the figures and such are definitely in the blue-gray range, but there are photos of Carrie in natural light wearing that dress and it looks teal (the Pantone app agreed with me). And wasn't it described as teal in an exhibit? But then it looks almost royal blue to me in the film.

I have a problem distinguishing some blue and purple shades so it would be helpful to know what the accepted, official colors are.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

ellisbellecosplay on Instagram

Approved Costumes:
General Leia Organa (Crait)

Works-in-Progress:
General Leia Organa (Raddus Bridge)
General Leia Organa (Medbay)
General Leia Organa (D'Qar, Blue Dress 2.0)
Ritin Kornas ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally believe that being vague on the colours is better, because it depends a lot on the light or even on personnel interpretation. Rolling Eyes
I actually hate the 501st CRL who are that specific for some saying it has to be that brand of paint and this reference of colour.... or a very specific material. Specially when the CRL is wrong on that point :s

Also, there is the will mentionned by LMO to get more permissive standards for the RL, getting a very specific colour would go against that :s
ellisbelle (Julie Douberly)
Active Legion Member

2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ritin Kornas wrote:
I personally believe that being vague on the colours is better, because it depends a lot on the light or even on personnel interpretation. Rolling Eyes
I actually hate the 501st CRL who are that specific for some saying it has to be that brand of paint and this reference of colour.... or a very specific material. Specially when the CRL is wrong on that point :s

Also, there is the will mentionned by LMO to get more permissive standards for the RL, getting a very specific colour would go against that :s

I did not mean to open this can of worms. As someone who will be submitting costumes for approval in the near future, I am all for more permissive standards. And I still believe that cosplay and costuming should be fun.

I am new to this process and sorry if this breached some sort of etiquette.

As I said, I have difficulty distinguishing shades of blue and purple. Having a starting point--such as the Pantone #--would be helpful in choosing fabric as it helps me "see" the differences in the colors. I was not by any means suggesting that the standard be changed to include an exact color. I was just looking for friendly advice.

My wife is tired of being shown swatches and reference photos--she just wears the costumes I make for her. Smile The process isn't her thing. I wanted to pose the question to fellow Leia costumers.

ellisbellecosplay on Instagram

Approved Costumes:
General Leia Organa (Crait)

Works-in-Progress:
General Leia Organa (Raddus Bridge)
General Leia Organa (Medbay)
General Leia Organa (D'Qar, Blue Dress 2.0)
Ritin Kornas ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, you didn't breach any etiquette or so.
That is just my personal opinion regarding standards Very Happy

It's a fair point that you bring to help people with color blindness for example. Maybe then could we indicate a range of Pantone colour more than a specific one ?

I just wanted to make sure that any standard would not be written as "fabric must be this color" but more "fabric should be in a colour close to this one" Wink
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, no, no, no, no. Asking is fine. Smile Don't be afraid to ask questions.

The trouble is we can't actually say what pantone color the original is, because the color changes so much depending on lighting conditions. Dusty blue, royal blue, dark teal... they should all be all right as long as the fabrics match, but there are so many shades of teal that saying teal can be rather troublesome.

But I am intrigued by the idea to try and create a range of colors to look for. A color chart could certainly be helpful. Hmm, something to think about to see if it would be feasible.

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: