Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6fce3a6958d2abc4fbb3f2771b87c884Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

TLJ Resistance Ground Crew Tech WIP (Riva Rosetta)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbotastic ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sleeves are in. There was drama involved. They still don't fit right. Having to line up the arm seams with the front and back yoke is wreaking havoc on my pattern and sizing. But they are in and look fine. Their is a lovely seamstress in my neighborhood I might take this thing to once its all done to see if she can help with the shoulder sizing. I just don't have enough know how to be able to figure out how to keep the seams lined up and bring in the shoulders. Anyway, I am going to adjust the size of the ID patch so it fits better with the zipper facing. Then the hood is next. Inner vest is mostly done, just needs the arm hole facings. Then the flash hood/balaclava thing.

mbotastic ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates!

Coveralls: The coveralls are off to the tailor. I've come a long way in my sewing skills but not far enough to figure out how to get it to not be so huge. Sigh. But I picked up the new simplicity pattern 8722, the coveralls pattern meant to be x-wing, rose and probably ghost busters. The good news is it is a great, straightforward pattern that is easily modified to add the seams and waistband and such. Much easier in my opinion than the kwik sew one lots of people use and I started out using. The bad news is that the sizing is off. The difference between a small and medium is barely anything .But the difference between a medium and a large is HUGE. I know because I made all sizes and a few in between getting the fit right (at this point I've made 6 jumpsuits in a quest to get it right. Good grief).

Good lord! The satisfaction when parts line up

Inner vest and flash hood: I was not satitsfied with my inner vest. All the commercial patterns I found had darts and other things that I didn't want and taking them out always wonked up the fit. So I traced my jean vest (after watching a youtube tutorial on doing such a thing) and patterned a plain vest. It turned out well in my mock up. I'll sew that up next.

For the flash hood/balaclava thing I picked up an inexpensive one at the sporting goods store. I cut it up and traced the pieces and then added to the size. The one in the reference photos I'm using seems quite full. I mocked it up and it looks good though the one I got is a three panel hood with the front being a Y shaped to create the part that can cover the mouth. I think, though am not sure, that the ones in the film just have one seam. Oh and I found the most lovely base weight wool in the perfect color that I'll use. Wool appealed to me since the balaclava I use when biking in the cold is a similar wool.

Headset: Got my blast shield, its beautiful. I hate to muck it up. Got my headphones and that's about it. The plan this weekend is to figure out how to fill in the dip in the front. Any insights welcome. My plan thus far is to find like a simple no parking sign at the hardware store and cut it to fit and maybe use a heat gun to help. Then fill in the gaps with Bondo. I'm also going to trim the width a bit. I think its too wide.

Boots are ordered. Belt is ready just need to attach the elastic and weather the greablies.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you're moving along with this. Nice work!

The "dip" on the front of the shield, are you referring to the pill-shaped indentation that goes down the front of it? You could just fill that in with Bondo, that would probably be the easiest thing.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-Former RLSC XO - Former Costume Judge - RLSC Costume Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mbotastic ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Its getting there.

Yup, the pill shaped indentation on the front. I had thought to just use Bondo too. But then worried that it might flake or crack over time given the amount it would be. I've mostly used Bondo to patch up around the edges of foam and such on props or as a filler on 3D printed things. Nothing this big. But Its worth a shot since it would be the simplest solution and I've got a bunch of it on hand.

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
Looks like you're moving along with this. Nice work!

The "dip" on the front of the shield, are you referring to the pill-shaped indentation that goes down the front of it? You could just fill that in with Bondo, that would probably be the easiest thing.

Inner Vest is done! The deets: Its falls to hip length. Has felled seams on the sides and shoulders like the jumpsuit. Mandarin collar. the front is faced by just folding over the front edge and top stitching. No waistband, just again folded up and top stitched to the same width as the front facing. I toyed with the idea of lining it but backed down from that ledge with the thought of how many layers that would be. But the finish would be real nice. I also thought of adding a back yoke to match the coveralls just because I like continuity. But since we know nothing for certain about this vest I told my self to cool it and not make more work for myself.

(Also, yes post photo taken I realized I look like Ronald McDonald in this pic.)
mbotastic ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flash hood is done. Well one of them is. I'm going to make another one out of a different fabric that is a slightly different color. In a lot of the pictures the fabric of the hood looks more red than brown. But I'm pretty sure its really more brown than red. Like a deep maroon. Anyway, blah blah blah.

I also took apart some headphones and flipped the speaker side to the outside. I'm going to affix the fan like 2d print on the outside keeping it flush to the headband piece. I think it will work well to give the affect of the headset. I'd like it to be more precise but so far I haven't found anything just right. I wish places like Radio Shak were still around and I could just go buy a bunch of parts to glue together. Ah, well.

I also took apart a copule of PLCE belts and painted them grey. Some pics of this costume have the people in tan belts and some grey. Since I've primarily used Riva as my inspiration I chose to go with grey. Going to use tan 1 inch elastic to attache the hose connectors.

Once all that's assembled its really just final figuring out of the headset assembly and then weathering. Hooray!

mbotastic ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hood color 2. I think this is a winner. Its also marino wool so its a little luxurious. Hahaha. I still would like it to be a little looser but when I did that it sagged in a way that I wouldn't be able to pull it up on my face. I did take the side cuts out of this one...I wanted more fullness like I see in the pics.

mbotastic ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You ever get to a place in a project where you finally start to think "dang! I could finish this!" Ok, now that I've likely jinxed myself here are updates and things learned.

First: There are belt loops! I've seen something for a while that I dunno, I wasn't sure. But now I'm positive.

So that leads me to the belt. I had to connect to PLCE belts to make a belt that would fit cuz I'm a bit round around the middle. So I measured to make the seam of the joint fit about where the belt loop will be. Then used 1 inch tan elastic for the hose connectors. I'll use the same thing for the hose connectors on the upper arm. Like I mentioned before I made my belt grey like the photo of Riva in the visual dictionary. But different reference photos and screenshots show that both are used. I used Dupli-Color charcoal grey paint for vinyl and fabric.

Hose connectors were painted with silver paint. I forgot that this paint is too sparkly. Oh well. Once I weather them they will look less glamorous.

The headset has involved some drama. But that's not unusual for this build. Lol. I trimmed the size down quite a bit to get the right shape. But the dip on the front of the visor protector thing is filled. Did it with Bondo. Its sanded and ready to be primed.

I also found a new set of headphones I like a lot better. The ear pieces are perfectly round and when I add the plastic parts I printed the remain flush. I know it won't be exact but I think the look will work. The headphone have some green on them. I pulled the green ring out out and discovered its a pain in the butt to paint. Had to sand off layers and layers of some coating. Never thought it would end. But it seems to have finally and the primer is at least taking. The headphones are about $14.95 on Amazon. I first found them at CVS by my house though for $20. I still haven't figured out how I'll mount the shield thing to the headphones but its a three day weekend so anything can happen!

mbotastic ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys! Its such an exciting day!

I know some of you are now in the new FB group for Resistance troopers. Very exciting. But I wanted to be sure to post this info here too. I have been working on my headset (pics below). Its fine. Hahaha. I mean its the best I can do given that I live in a tiny apartment and have limited access to to using power tools and stuff. It will totally work. But I'd been really wanting to figure out better what the headset is constructed from. Then a friend got an a-wing helmet printed and it occurred to me that the ear pods on that helmet are pretty much the same as those on the ground crew headset. I tracked down the person who printed her helmet - skylu3Design on the RPF - and he wrote back super fast agreeing that they look the same. There's still a fair bit to figure out but I think this is a great big step! So I'm getting a set of ear pods printed from him. He also said he'd modify the visor he prints a bit so it could work, including with the grooved line details.

I'm still going to finish my headset that I'm rigging up. Here are some progress pics.

Visor primed and ready. To get it to fit with the headphones I have I needed to trim it down to a size that isn't quite to scale with the film used one. But the look will work. I'm going to work on the lines before painting it orange.

My super technical mock up of how I'll attached the visor. I have various types of thermo plastics on hand that I'm going to use.

Basically I'll attach it under the ear pad around the speaker. Then I'll glue the ear pad back on. I'm a little worried about weight but we shall see.

This is the piece that goes on the outside of the ear pod. I'm going to accent it with some silver and orange maybe to mimic what is in the reference photos and add depth.

navarre1095 (CHARLES GRAY)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good!

Rebel Legion Costumes: Fleet Trooper, Tusken, Old Ben (informal), Clone, Malakilli,

501st Costumes: Imperial Navy, Crew, Bantha Rider, Clone, Zuckuss, Snowtrooper, Malakilli, A'sharad Hett

XO- HMS Hexapuma, Captain (jg) TRMN

Ordained Priest, Church of the Latter Day Dude
mbotastic ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duuuuudes! I'm so excited. I got pictures of the headset and ear pods from skylu3Design. He pulled apart his file for the TLJ A-wing helmet and went above and beyond in modifying the visor. Gah. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

From what I can tell the heasets the ground grew wear have the headband of the headphones attached at the point marked here. So I just need to find some headphones parts that fit. Hopefully that doesn't turn out to be too hard to find. Oh and I'll have to glue in some cushions that are a little over an inch thick so it fits on my head. Probably not to hard to find.

If anyone is thinking of doing this and wants the headset I totally recommend messaging skylu3Design on Facebook or on the RPF. He's amazing to work with!

I also got my boots this week. They are basically Poes boots in dark brown with a black sole. I'm going to shorten the shaft height a little and dirty them up.
mbotastic ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long time now update. I've been waiting for parts. Waiting, waiting. But worth because Riva has her headset!

I had to get a new visor printed scaled down in size. Even with the thickets ear pads I couldn't get it to fit my head. So It came in about 7cm which changed the arch degree but in the end I think it came out a-ok.

I just used a headband and hangers from a pair of cheapo earphones I got from CVS (and also found on Amazon). Drilled two holes on each side of ear pods so the headphones could pop in on their existing nubs (I still might glue them in place but it might also be nice to have them be removable). The ear pads are just the biggest roundest ones I could find.

Other than that the on other item left to do is to finish the fit of the coveralls (taking it in so much required the making of new pockets. I've made soooo many sets of pockets). Then its just weathering.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: