Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=665354d06fee434585ebda39eb98cf62Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

TLJ Resistance Ground Crew Tech WIP (Riva Rosetta)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbotastic ()
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just popping in to say work is still in progress. Just not much to post. I had to wait to get a bunch of new muslin to do another mock up with the new pattern. The sizing is still a bit off but getting close. I forgot one of the seams on the front so I had to go back and change the pattern again (so many seams!) and figuring out the sleeves turned out to require me to pay more attention than I had planned. Whoops! I also haven't done the pockets yet. Well I did them in paper but haven't mocked them up yet. I've put sizing first on the list, then seams, then pockets. I got some twill on a good sale the other day that I'm going to make my final mock up out of since its a similar weight as the final fabric I'll be using. And my cat continues to be incredibly helpful.

Today I cut all the new pattern pieces and worked out the arms and fitting of the upper body. Made lots of notes. In case you can't tell, I'm new to pattern alternations like this and tailoring of any kind. But I"m loving that I'm learning so much. Hopefully what I come up with will help others too. It'd be fun to have bunch of GLD crew members at a troop or convention some day!

mbotastic ()
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh! How do people go so fast? I'm still plugging away at the soft parts. I'm learning pattern making as I go, so it's slow. Moving all the seams around is a pain. But progress is made weekly on the coveralls.

Got all my greeblies too. Thanks @horsegr48 for the hose connectors. Very excellent prints!

But with the weather getting nice I've got props on my mind so I'd like to enlist some help in brainstorming the headset. This is my thought so far:

Get some Sintra or similar material and form the blast shield. Could be 3D printed too I bet. If you zoom in real close you can see the shield does have some lines on it... Or etchings.

Then I'm thinking rig the shield up using foam and maybe aluminum to attach to some big headphones or ear protection that is similar size and shape. There's are a lot of flight headsets out there that look the part but wow are the expensive. And I don't need it to be functional. From what I can tell all the people in these conversations (including Rose in some promo shots) have just a thin wire like communicator rather then the bigger type thing pilots have. It usually rests in the folds of the balaclava. I'll try and dig up a good reference.

I'd love to hear folks thoughts on the headset though! Onward!

Then
mbotastic ()
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I found a new fabric to use with this that I like more. The first stuff I got is really great. It was the cotton canvas from Mood in color "wheat". In person its awesome, but in most pictures it just washes out. But also I worried that once I got to weathering that it would be too brown.

So I got a bunch of swatches and settled on this cotton canvas from Organic Cotton Plus in color "Honey"

https://organiccottonplus.com/collections/wovens-canvas-duck/products/duck-60#honey

I know that most folks are running with the idea that these suits are made from cordura or a type of nylon. But its been impossible to find fabric like that in the right color that is uncoated and i'm just not going to wear the coated kind. But I think this stuff, once laundered and soften and then weathered will look mighty fine.
Toda ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this!

mbotastic wrote:
Ok. I found a new fabric to use with this that I like more. The first stuff I got is really great. It was the cotton canvas from Mood in color "wheat". In person its awesome, but in most pictures it just washes out. But also I worried that once I got to weathering that it would be too brown.

So I got a bunch of swatches and settled on this cotton canvas from Organic Cotton Plus in color "Honey"

https://organiccottonplus.com/collections/wovens-canvas-duck/products/duck-60#honey

I know that most folks are running with the idea that these suits are made from cordura or a type of nylon. But its been impossible to find fabric like that in the right color that is uncoated and i'm just not going to wear the coated kind. But I think this stuff, once laundered and soften and then weathered will look mighty fine.

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
mbotastic ()
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who checks in on this thread have any insights into what these ear protection/headphones are? I'm planning to make the blast shield (3D print or make it out of some plastic) and attach it to a headset. But can't find one that is the right shape and size .

[url=https://flic.kr/p/24BNVKh]
navarre1095 (CHARLES GRAY)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta side view? Those look like the knuckle-dragger muffs that were used on BSG.

Base helmet perhaps?
http://www.davidclarkcompany.com/military/ground-head-protection.php

Rebel Legion Costumes: Fleet Trooper, Tusken, Old Ben Kenobi, Clone, Malakilli,

501st Costumes: Imperial Navy, Crew, Bantha Rider, Clone, Zuckuss, Snowtrooper, Malakilli, A'sharad Hett

Ordained Priest, Church of the Latter Day Dude
mbotastic ()
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa. Those are certainly close. This is the best shot of the side that I have been able to grab. I connected with a person on the RPF who worked on the film. He said that looking at the headsets at the time they appeared to not match any found part. Likely props made for production. He also said they weren't functional at all in terms of noise cancellation or communications. So I'm thinking I could mash up a bunch of parts to get the look. I do have one of those cranial front shields from a flight deck helmet set up. Its the same idea but the wrong shape. But the base hits all the marks.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sennheiser’s Closed-Back HD820 ??

501st Costumes: Imperial Navy, Crew, Bantha Rider, Clone, Zuckuss, Snowtrooper, Malakilli, A'sharad Hett

mbotastic ()
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! those are super close AND holy crap they are expensive. Nearly fell out of my chair. But great to have as good reference for building a replica. I was chatting with a prop maker here about the possibilities of modeling some 3D printed parts to build on a old headphone base. Seems doable and this could be a good reference. Plus I don't need them to be functional.

I wonder if you can by replacement parts for these though. That would be a way to get some of the right look.

Thanks so much!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/electronics/audio/headphone-speaker-ring-radiator-type

mbotastic ()
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa. This looks great. I'm going to work with someone in my base to print this and see what happens. Really awesome find thanks for sharing. I'll post some updates once I can get the ball rolling on printing it.

navarre1095 wrote:
https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/electronics/audio/headphone-speaker-ring-radiator-type
mbotastic ()
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update! My fellow Alderaan Base member helped me print the files posted above. Over all they are good. We scaled them up to 125%. this gets them to roughly the size of many standard larger sized ear phone cushioned ear pads. It also gets them to where they fit me similar to reference photos. Two of the files are too thin to print though, but from what we can tell they wouldn't make a difference for look. What is still missing is an outer piece that the headband piece of the earmuffs part would attach too. So gonna have to figure that out. I think on the same site I've found earphone replacement parts I can find those pieces.

We're also working on modifying a blast shield file for printing a Resistance x-wing helmet. Taking out the little dip and other details to print the blast shield for this. If anyone has good files for the helmet they are willing to share that would be great. Anything we come up with we'd post in kind.

Soft parts are nearly there too! So...much....top stitching. So much. But now its just a matter of making the final version of the coveralls. Still need my boots though.

mbotastic ()
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates! Still plugging away. Seriously learning a lot about pattern adjustments and fitting and all that. Coveralls pattern is fixed up and working. Got the pockets mostly sorted. Trying to figure out fit at the moment. One thing to think about based on reference photos is that yes, Rose wears the same coveralls. But given she's a primary character her's are much more tailored to the actress and some details are different such as the proportions of the pockets. In references of Riva the chest pocket has much more space between the bottom of the pocket and the top of the waistband than on Roses. I think that's for tailoring and fit. I'm basing most my measurements on Riva and other pictures of general ground crew. The fit of the coveralls varies quite a bit depending on the gender and size of the person.

Also of note is that sometimes ground crew have tan belts and sometimes grey (grey like the Resistance x-wing). Rose has a tan belt, but Riva specifically has a grey belt. I already have a grey belt from building and x-wing pilot so I'll be using that.

Also picked up some headphones to tinker with modifying to use for the headset. I found mine for pretty cheap used. But I see on ebay you can get some for a bit more money. They are the Sennheiser HD 4.30 Black Over Ear Headphones. I'm going to be using a 3D printed blast sheild from an x-wing helmet too. Either going to use filler and a dremmel tool to make it right or use it as a shape to mold some sintra over.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. Keep after it!

mbotastic ()
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick WIP note. The sleeves on these coveralls don't have seams at the under arm. Just to side seams that line up with the front and back yokes. Its a bit tricky to get them done since they are both felled seams. The first one is straight forward. But the second takes a lot of time to feed it carefully through the machine. There are actually a few tutorials online about how to do this but in the end its just what you think it is. Feeding fabric through an inch at a time without catching the other side. Just takes a while. I don't know that not having an underarm seam is something that has to be required come time for a CRL...but its one of the many, many details of these coveralls that is interesting as well as challenging. For something that a lot of extras wore it is cool that they took so much time to create so much detail. Cool aaaaaand frustrating. Hahaha.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: