Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f4c2779bb8addbc5f7b4b26a7c858fc9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

TLJ Resistance Ground Crew Tech WIP (Riva Rosetta)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbotastic ()
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: TLJ Resistance Ground Crew Tech WIP (Riva Rosetta) Reply with quote

Since he visual dictionary for TLJ came out I've wanted to make a Resistance Tech crew member. In the book, the tech named is Riva Rossetta. But you see more of them in the film. They wear the same coveralls as Rose Tico but have headsets with blast shields.

Anyone else thought of making this? And questions:
There are lots of reference photos for Rose, will these work for this build also?

Riva_Rosetta by morrigan phillips, on Flickr

Once the film comes out on blu-ray and DVD their will be screenshots of the back of the techs and more of their headsets. Will those suffice for reference photos?

What I have so far:
Following the proposed Rose Tico CRL and other WIP for Rose's coveralls using:

- Kwik Sew Mens Casual-K3389 pattern for the coveralls
http://www.joann.com/kwik-sew-mens-casual-k3389/13254669.html

- Sanded/Brushed Twill Honey fabric for the coveralls
https://www.fabric.com/buy/0517626/sanded-brushed-twill-honey

- going to dye it and weather it of course.

- Got the belt to modify
https://www.fabric.com/buy/0517626/sanded-brushed-twill-honey

- Headset/helmet
For the headset and blast shield I picked up a cranial protection shield from a flight deck helmet for $8 bucks at the army/navy store to play around with how to set it up. It appears they wear something similar to a flight deck crew helmet but I think minus the rear plate. Interestingly I think this means the scarf thing we see Rose wear may be something like a balaclava that gets pulled over the head and worn under the headset/shield.

blast shield by morrigan phillips, on Flickr

flight-deck-helmet-khaki by morrigan phillips, on Flickr

20180222_181527 by morrigan phillips, on Flickr

Well it would be awesome to meet others building this up or thinking about it!
mbotastic ()
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Fabric find Reply with quote

Found some cotton canvas that I think will work without having to dye it.

Toda ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to work on this one, but at the moment I am swamped...

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
mbotastic ()
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its good to hear that at least there's another person out there interested in working on the build! I'll post any progress or notes. Hopefully they will be helpful to folks (but truly most credit goes to the Rose Tico builders who have figured out so much of the coveralls).

Toda wrote:
I would love to work on this one, but at the moment I am swamped...
mbotastic ()
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:38 am    Post subject: inner vest mock up Reply with quote

I made an inner vest mock up today. I used Butternick Pattern 3972 version D as my base. I made a few adjustments:

- The interfacing along the opening: I doubled it so it wraps around the opening. If you look close in the image below you can see a seam and that the edge of the opening is encased.

- I increased the length by 1 inch to make sure it would hit at just above the belt line for the coveralls.

One adjustment I didn't make was to keep the darts. I was originally going to take them out. But in the interest of reducing bulk I kept them since they helped make it a little more form fitting and when I move it moves more with me.

The collar is a little tall so I'm going to shorten it. I also may increase the length by another 1/2 inch and bring it the sides just a little more.

Onward!

I cut the interfacing on the fold instead so it doubled it.

Oh and for good measure a pic of how helpful my cat was being:

Toda ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great start! Can't wait to see the progress!

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
mbotastic ()
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Hood and front yoke Reply with quote

I had an unbelievably demoralizing snow day on Tuesday where I spent 9 hours or so trying to figure out the hood and yoke construction. Every time I thought I got it something would not line up or drape right. I have been trying to make the front yoke and outer lining of the hood one piece since I couldn't see any seams where the hood would be attached to a collar. This proves a challenge for getting the dang thing to lay write. But I got close but it doesn't solve some other issues about the construction of the front yoke, hood and the hood lining. There are more seams on that hood that it looks at first....4 in total. I think the ones nearest the shoulder line are to help the hood lay better. But I can't figure out how they are stitched. Anyway. I took a break, did some digging and come upon an new photo and revisited one I'd seen before but forgotten about. The first, a promo shot that shows a seam along the color line! So maybe after all the hood is attached to the front yoke at the color. Then I took a look at the concept art for these crew uniforms. The dark lines along the front also indicate that the intent was to attach the hood at the front of the front yoke and around the collar line. I know how to do that! I've done that! Then this morning I zoomed way in on the highest resolution photo I have to see if on the inside of the collar there is a seam where the hood is attached. In most pics it looks seamless, hence why a lot of us working on these coveralls (mostly Rose builds) have tried to make the yoke and hood one piece. But this would make things so much simpler! Doesn't fix the problem of the hood construction but it gets me closer and now I'm fare less demoralized and willing to try again. Here are a few pics of my feeble attempts and the reference pics.

mbotastic ()
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew! After seeing me be baffled by how to ultimately modify this pattern a fellow a Alderaan Base member came to my rescue and spent the afternoon with me making a workable mock up to use to build a new pattern. So grateful! So now I have the coveralls nearly figured out, just have to work on fitting and adding in the felled seams on the legs and arms and down the chest. We basically didn't have to do much to the general pattern, but its very boxy and baggy so it was mostly a matter of fitting and adjusting the waist placement.

The hood is also nearly figured out, a big relief. Jen helped to confirm my suspicion that the hood is really 4 panels not three (side note: in the process of making this hood I now notice the hood on every winter jacket I see. It was a 4 panel hood I saw on a lady on the train during my commute that gave me the idea). There has been discussion that the two smaller seams on the hood are pin tucks almost, but when we worked it out, really it makes the most sense to have 4 panels it really creates the drape you see in the pictures.

I also got most of my greeblies coming to me as raw 3D prints that I'll spruce up with some sanding, filling and painting. That means I'll have to start on building the pockets and patches. There is SO much top stitching on those pockets and patches. Its unreasonable. Anyway, here's the progress!

navarre1095 (CHARLES GRAY)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Good

Rebel Legion Costumes: Fleet Trooper, Tusken, Old Ben Kenobi, Clone, Malakilli,

501st Costumes: Imperial Navy, Crew, Bantha Rider, Clone, Zuckuss, Snowtrooper, Malakilli, A'sharad Hett

Ordained Priest, Church of the Latter Day Dude
mbotastic ()
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navarre1095 wrote:
Very Good

Thank you!
AsianInSpace (Madeline Anderson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm excited to see your progress on the helmet! And your point about Rose's scarf makes sense!

For the pockets my advice would be to do what top stitching you can before assembling them. And on your final add the pockets before sewing together the suit if you can. Rose was my first sewing project and adding the pockets first saved me a lot of headache. But I had to remake my pockets so I had to do them all twice, it wasn't fun Confused
mbotastic ()
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

horsegir48 wrote:
I'm excited to see your progress on the helmet! And your point about Rose's scarf makes sense! ?

I got a bunch of screen shots from fellow Rey cosplayer Shelby Lynn (bless her!) of TLJ flight deck crew that show the balaclava/hood and the headset. So my plan is to move forward with that making a balaclava type thing. I'm still so curious to know what else is worn in addition to the vest thing and balaclava. Part of me is also feeling pretty strongly that the whole thing is lined with the possibility that the vest is somehow attached to the inside or something. But that's all for another time!

It's also great to see the set up of the headset more. Its definitely not a helmet. Its very much like the concept art set up. I'm not sure how I'll do it. But I'm really looking forward to getting there! Sewing soft parts, while something I can do...eventually getting it right...it is not something I really enjoy as much has working on hard parts and props.

And thanks for the tip on the pockets! Its seems so obvious now but I totally think I would have just proceeded without doing them first and regretted it later. So not its on the master building notes list!
AsianInSpace (Madeline Anderson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh those are some good pictures. The headset with some kind of shield is pretty cool.

I'm remaking my scarf, my original assumption was that it was a balaclava but I didn't factor that in to my version one for some reason. I had looked at some on ebay though so I might need to revisit that again.

I think these are what I was originally looking at, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-use-Biker-Balaclava-Bandana-Cycling-Neck-Tube-Warmer-Scarf-Snood-Face-Mask/162133839170?hash=item25bfee0d42:m:mhMBtQn15f1dTqMcoF13bBg
Toda ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing the pictures! The tech helmet is pretty different than the ones seen in TFA, but both do use parts of US Navy flight deck helmets.

―General Han Solo
mbotastic ()
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Ya, something like that. I can't really quell my curiosity about what all is happening under the coveralls. The inner vest thing, the balaclava but what else? Lolz. I guess I shouldn't wonder so much. It would just make a lot more work. But hopefully one day we will learn.

Also, I'm reading the novelization of TLJ and in it theirs a part early on where Rose is out of place because the crew she was a part of (she was a flight engineer on the bombers) is all dead. She's on the Raddus and it says "the technicians didn't know what to do with her, and they were too busy keeping the Raddus running to figure it out. They'd handed her a spare jumpsuit from Ground Logistics Division..." This is only important because it confirms Rose is wearing the same suit as these guys, which means a lot of the same detailed reference shots of Rose could count as reference shots for these costumes. Its also nice because now I know what to officially call these people - Resistance GLD!

horsegir48 wrote:
Oh those are some good pictures. The headset with some kind of shield is pretty cool.

I'm remaking my scarf, my original assumption was that it was a balaclava but I didn't factor that in to my version one for some reason. I had looked at some on ebay though so I might need to revisit that again.

I think these are what I was originally looking at, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-use-Biker-Balaclava-Bandana-Cycling-Neck-Tube-Warmer-Scarf-Snood-Face-Mask/162133839170?hash=item25bfee0d42:m:mhMBtQn15f1dTqMcoF13bBg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: