Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1278147020a804dd1fbaa0f03d1d53b2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Packing Gown - Revamp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kam1kaze (Katharina)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Packing Gown - Revamp Reply with quote

Hey Guys!
I'm new to the forum and this is my first project: i did a Packing Gown a few years back and i'd like to slowly revamp it to rebel legion standards with hope of submitting it some day. I'm in no rush though, i'll just add to it piece by piece.

This is the costume i have right now:

I plan on redoing almost everything tbh, here's my to do list so far:

1. Skirt:

The fabric i chose is obviously too thin/shiny and just doesn't look good. There's also not enough volume in the skirt. I plan on getting new fabric for this, maybe something like silk dupioni or shantung. Suggestions for skirt fabric would be highly apprecited as i haven't been able to find one i like so far! I already have a petticoat that i plan on wearing under the skirt.

2. Sleeves/Undershirt:

The sleeves are made out of a nice flowy silk fabric that i really like and i really like them. However they miss the dark gray piping at the cuffs and i think i could make them a bit more puffy. I also think my cuffs might be slightly too long and i would make them a bit shorter. The sleeves are not my first priority though as i think the overall look of them is ok.

3. Vest:

The vest is made out of a dark grey cotton velvet with a slight green tint. It appears black in some pics but i swear it isn't Laughing
I think the pattern i made for this is good, however i didn't put any structure in the vest. That's why it doesn't fit me quite as it should, it pulls at some points and just doesn't sit very smooth.

I would like to remake the vest with the same pattern but putting boning in it as a structure. I'd also like to make it slightly longer in the waist. I have my eyes on some dark gray silk velvet that i think would be nice to remake this.

4. Embroidery:

This part i really liked and i think i can keep it. I might just take it off the old vest and stitch it on the new one.

5. Bracelets:

Those were made last minute out of worbla and i really need to remake them. They didn't fit me and i could't put them high enough on my arm. I already got some aluminium sheets and plan to follow some tutorials i have found.

6. Wig/Hair Jewelry:

god, i hated doing these, i'm not good with wigs Mad I think this came out ok and woulnd't need to be redone, i'd like to add a lacefront to the wigh though. It does have the high bun on the back btw. The jewelry is made out of worbla like the bracelets and i'd like to remake them aswell.

That's all i can think of right now. If someone knows this gown better than i do and has some tips for me or has noticed something i have wrong please tell me!
Sorry for the long picture heavy post Smile Amadalia
Yumi ()
French Base CO
French Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Kam,

Your costume looks pretty good, what I advise you to improve it and submit it to the RL :

- your corset indeed needs structure, a "stomack corset" as you seems to wear under isn't enough, you can add some "frame" and your collar needs frame and to be higher.
- the grey shirt seems fine but take care that your bracelets don't fall (great if you can remade them so they could seem more rounded on the edges) and so we can see the 4 of them, I think your sleeves are enough "buffy" just need to adjust correctly.
- your skirt fabric is good (for my opinion) and indeed you can add some petticoat or layers of fabrics to expand a bit more your skirt.
- the wigs needs a bit of direction correction on the bottom (more near your ears)
- if you would like to remake your jewelry you can buy 3D prints here :https://www.shapeways.com/shops/silverscreenstyle?li=pb
Ask the design onwer if she can make some for you.

In general, your costume has a good looking, no doubt you'll make it perfect.
Kam1kaze (Katharina)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer Yumi!
I guess i was right about most of the things i need to work on then Razz

The vest is really the thing that sticks out most as it just doesn't fit me like it should. I plan on making a "base" for this from sturdy cotton and bone that like a corset and put the fashion-fabric aka the velvet on top, then wearing that over my new victorian corset. It really should shape me the right way then and lay flat as it should. I've also thought about putting some fleece or thin felt in the collar so it stand up, i've done that before and it worked great so we'll see.

I think if the sleeves look fine i'll really work on them last, i too think the biggest problem with them is how the bracelets sit on them. those will probably be the first thing i remake as i have materials for them here.

The skirt fabric looks ok in the pictures but in person you can see it's flaws, it's really thin and shiny polyester lining fabric and just looks cheap. I have found some nice silk dupioni fabrics that i think would work great - i'll order some swatches! I think i like without slub more but i'll try both.
http://www.puresilks.us/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=6338
http://www.puresilks.us/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=6462
I'd really like to starton the skirt, mostly because i know it will be easy and i'll be able to finish the new skirt in a few hours but i really SHOULD start on the vest since that will be the hardest... ugh Rolling Eyes Laughing

The wig could really need some work... the problem with it is that it's really uncomfortble, it presses down on the ears so much so they really start to hurt after some time. I've thought i might add a lacefront (so much work tho eeh) which would make it look more natural and i would be able to pull that closer to my ears. I kinda want to try to attach the "buns" directly to my real hair which i could do now as i have dark brown hair again but they're pretty heavy and my hair is so thin... i don't think i could make them stay in place tbh. I might have to redo them in lighter fake hair. But it WOULD look nicer... hmm.

Thank you for the link aswell! I think i'll try to make the jewelry myself first but those pieces are beautiful... i kinda want them now Amadalia
Yumi ()
French Base CO
French Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great !

It seems you have planned a great update, keep us on touch throught each stapes if you can. And yes you were right on things which needs a bit of work to make your costume amazing.
Good idea for the collar.
For the wigs it's quite difficult to find a confortable structure, hope you will find a way.

Don't hesitate if any question spots out during the process. Wink
Daughter of Alderaan (Joy Lochelt)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this costume so much- watching this for sure!

Photos by Robbins Studios

In Progress:Padme Loyalist Gown, Leia Raddus Bridge
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a beautiful costume and I can fully understand wanting to upgrade it. Smile

And I agree that your embroidered piece looks very nice.

Have you looked at thai silk as a possibility for the skirt? It has some structure and texture and a medium-dark grey thai silk would look great, imo. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
SenatorSnips (Jane Rosado)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your costume looks great already! Hearing all the upgrades you're planning I'm sure it'll turn out perfect Smile

I own this dress aswell, and just made new buns myself for the same reason of them being too heavy (and slightly too dark in color). I use my real hair, and attached the new buns to a hairband instead of pinning them into place and it makes a HUGE difference. I barely feel I'm wearing them and the hairband gets hidden by my hair so it looks just the same as pinning them on. Smile
Kam1kaze (Katharina)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
You have a beautiful costume and I can fully understand wanting to upgrade it. Smile

And I agree that your embroidered piece looks very nice.

Have you looked at thai silk as a possibility for the skirt? It has some structure and texture and a medium-dark grey thai silk would look great, imo. Smile

Thanks! I think this might be the first costume i've ever upgraded, i'm usually not really motivated to touch a costume once i've "finished" it. This dress though was my favourite Star Wars costme for YEARS so i reallo wanna do it justice.

I haven't looked into thai silk yet, i've just looked through some sites that i've successfully ordered silk from before and looked through what they have in srock but i will look that up! So thanks for the tip, i'm just gonna order a bunch of swatches now Wink

What i have ordered some days ago is a beautiful dark gray silk velvet for the vest so i can get started on that one soon.
Kam1kaze (Katharina)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SenatorSnips wrote:
Your costume looks great already! Hearing all the upgrades you're planning I'm sure it'll turn out perfect Smile

I own this dress aswell, and just made new buns myself for the same reason of them being too heavy (and slightly too dark in color). I use my real hair, and attached the new buns to a hairband instead of pinning them into place and it makes a HUGE difference. I barely feel I'm wearing them and the hairband gets hidden by my hair so it looks just the same as pinning them on. Smile

Thank you! I'm sure it won't be perfect but i'll do my best to get it as nice as i can!

The headband is a great idea, i don't know why i haven't thought of that yet Laughing I think i will try do order some lightweight Kanekalon hair and attach the buns to a headband then, that would definitely make it more comfortable and look much nicer i think. So thank you for that tip! (I do NOT really look forward to making those buns again though haha)
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with it. Smile

I've remade one costume three times and is currently remaking another one and it is pretty frustrating redoing costumes, but if you really love them you want to do them justice. Smile And after all, we keep learning and getting better.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Thiggette (Amy Higgs)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following your progress as I am looking to make this one myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: