Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=cc4507738765c48285f0821b6a9f0858Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Leia TLJ Crait costume (asymmetric cape)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sothis (Alyona)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Leia TLJ Crait costume (asymmetric cape) Reply with quote

Hello there! I'm about to make this costume and wanted to share my thoughts, pics and questions about it!

More pics from the exhibit can be found here - http://hollywoodmoviecostumesandprops.blogspot.com/2017/12/star-wars-last-jedi-film-costumes-on.html

I've found some nice fabric for the dress. Here it is: https://yadi.sk/a/ueP6lR2U3SQVub
Now I'm looking for the coat fabric. From the FIDM photos I see that this coat has a fair amount of sheen, so I think it could be two thick satin fabric layers with some other fabric sandwiched between them for better shape.
What do you think about it?

Last edited by Sothis (Alyona) on Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dress fabric looks very nice. Smile And thanks for sharing your references.

I'm not sure satin would fit the bill. The lining is smooth, but the outer part doesn't look as smooth as satin fabrics. It has some shine, but it appears a bit fussy, too. I'm not sure what kind of weave would be best for this. Anyone has some guesses?

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Sothis (Alyona)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is why I was hesitant about satin. What do you think about crepe de chine? It has some shine, but a bit duller.
http://auratessu.ru/images/catalog/object/837/5-95-640.jpg
I like the colour but not so sure about the structure. It looks a bit stiff for my liking.
stripeythecat (Alex Rose)
Active Legion Member

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dress fabric you've found looks amazing - I've looked for weeks and not found anything so good.
Are you definitely going for a grey and not a brown? I suppose it all depends which picture one is looking at - most of the ones I've seen are brownish, with a hint of grey/green perhaps. The designer had said he'd used earthy colours.
Similarly, in the photos I've seen, I presumed satin would be the thing - there are so many different weights of it and sheens too ...
Glad we've got this thread going as I'm keen to do this one too.

Last edited by stripeythecat (Alex Rose) on Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sothis (Alyona)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeythecat wrote:
The dress fabric you've found looks amazing - I've looked for weeks and not found anything so good.
Are you definitely going for a grey and not a brown? I suppose it all depends what pictures one is looking at - most of the ones I've seen are brownish, with a hint of grey/green perhaps. The designer had said he'd used earthy colours.
Similarly, in the photos I've seen, I presumed satin would be the thing - there are so many different weights of it and sheens too ...
Glad we've got this thread going as I'm keen to do this one too.

Oh my! I was not attentive enough when reading the article about the exhibition! It has the description: "Star Wars Last Jedi General Organa costume consists of a black dyed textured rayon dress, dark olive cape, gold bracelet and rings and black leather boots."
The cape is dark olive! Smile So good that you questioned my colour choice! Thank you.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, the info with the exhibition photos, describes Luke's hoody/jumper knitted worktop as "olive brown" - maybe Leia's cloak is similar - more olive brown than olive green ... What an odd way to pose the costume though, when the collar is always worn up in the film and promotional stills!
Sothis (Alyona)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about this one? It's khaki satine cotton.
https://www.livemaster.ru/item/23151717-materialy-dlya-tvorchestva-tkan-hlopkovyj-atlas-satin-tsveta-
And I add the link with some new reference images! They show the boots, rings and close-ups.They are here: https://www.fanthatracks.com/news/the-last-jedi-costumes-display-at-the-fashion-institute-of-design-merchandising/

Last edited by Sothis (Alyona) on Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brilliant pictures - first sight of her boots - and good detail of the ring and bracelet as well as the loose fitting of the dress in the front. How much fabric do you think we need for a dress like that? I'm not really technical enough to comment on the khaki fabric other than to say it looks great to me. Hope you don't mind but I've shared the pictures on the UK site - all information is useful!
Sothis (Alyona)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I've found them with google anyway!
About the dress: it depends on a fabric width and the size of a person who's going to wear it. I believe this dress will need two lengths of the dress plus one sleeve length.
By the way, I haven't seen any good pictures that show the dress. For all I now it can be a long basic swing dress with a scoop neckline.
Something like this but longer of course:
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Assistant Legion Membership Officer
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking with some of the folks that were at the premier, they said that the coat material looked a lot closer to moleskin or microsuede than anything else.

In planning and progress:
Summer Dreams Padmé, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden, Saché, TOR Jedi

ALMO | Guam Regional Captain | RLGS Web Team | She/Her
Sothis (Alyona)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
Talking with some of the folks that were at the premier, they said that the coat material looked a lot closer to moleskin or microsuede than anything else.

Wow, that sounds cool. And closer to truth! Maybe you know something about the constraction of the coat as well? These sleeves somehow confuse me. I see that they are the part of the back, so the cape has 3 wide panels (half-circle?1/4 circle?), but I don't understand the construction ot the front. Are those two acymmetric panels lay free from the sleeves and back? Without any seams or armscye? Or are there two separate layers?

Daughter of Alderaan (Joy Lochelt)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it looks like there is a seam around the arm hole in the shoulder for the sleeve

LOVE your under dress fabric

Photos by Robbins Studios

In Progress:Padme Loyalist Gown, Leia Raddus Bridge
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fabric you've found does have some possibility. Have you ordered a swatch?

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Sothis (Alyona)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
The fabric you've found does have some possibility. Have you ordered a swatch?

No. I decided to look for something suede-like! I've found this one:
https://www.livemaster.ru/item/24769439-materialy-dlya-tvorchestva-zamsha-haki
Or this: https://www.tkani-textiliya.ru/tkani-dlya-odezhdi/naznachenie/meh-kozha-zamsha/zamsha-dvuhstoronnyaya-strejch-59-13
What do you think?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My view is that the suede/moleskin type fabric is great and it's also cheaper than satin. Plus I've seen the odd one which is washable! I'm not a judge but I think your first example is too grey in colour and possibly too lightweight to help the collar stand up. The second one's much better. I would prefer an even more khaki/browny version though because I have that in my mind from the film and the publicity shots. I even think of the dress as being very dark brown. Obviously lighting changes everything. What do the costume judges think?

Also, how can we all help to get the costume standards written?
and what about those sleeves??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: