Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7c7ea882f4473b4cae275c2c4694988fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

WIP 2.0 -- TLJ Leia Raddus Bridge (Grey Coat/Dress)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ibejedi (Heather Tanner)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: WIP 2.0 -- TLJ Leia Raddus Bridge (Grey Coat/Dress) Reply with quote

Well, even though I did finish a version of this costume for the premiere, it needs some major revision to fit the pending costume standards. The primary difficulty I've faced over the past 9 months is finding a suitable fabric for the coat. (I know the rest of you working on it feel my pain). Finding the combination of the right pattern/pattern size/color/texture has been nearly as elusive as Luke Skywalker (pre-TLJ) Smile So in the end, I went with something that wasn't really right, but was "good enough" for the premiere. But now it's time for version 2.0 -- for approval.

I'm admittedly OCD when it comes to this stuff -- for example, I did blow up the leaked Visual Guide photo of Leia to "life size" -- her hand/wrist at least, so that I could count the number of metal strands making up her bracelet. (It's 24 or 25. You're welcome Very Happy ) So I decided to do the same with the fabric.

I based the scale of the photo off of the accepted determination that the waistband on her dress is approximately 2 inches wide. When enlarging the photo to match that size, it can be seen that there are approximately 7 "squares" per 2 inches. Or 3.5 per 1 inch. This was a huge help, as many fabrics I had been considering had much too small of a pattern. (I had originally contemplated stamping my first coat fabric with a darker grey square pattern, using acrylic paint and fabric medium -- a daunting task)

So, after months of ordering swatches, combing every fabric store in the metro area (multiple times) I *think* I may have a winner. **Fingers Crossed**

I took a chance, and ordered it w/out a swatch because it was such a great deal during a sale at the beginning of the month. (From an online store based in Germany). It's a wool/acrylic blend coating fabric, with a nice drape/shape that should lend itself well to the construction of this coat.

It arrived last weekend, and today edited my side by side images, comparing it to reference images (I had done this with a number of fabrics previously), to see how close the scale of the design is (as well as the color being similar):

I'm thinking, hoping, that it would be acceptable? The only issue is that there is NOT a distinctive metallic sheen to the fabric -- however I would add that (hopefully using LaVonne's version, or similar, of the "Kylo magic mix").

I did luck out with the seller on this fabric (being it's from Germany, I think), that I CAN return it within 30 days (minus shipping cost) -- but that means I can't test anything on the fabric. I'd hoped to not take a total loss on it, if it turns out to be no good (even though it's only about $78 USD/52 Euros) -- especially because I won't get that lucky with price again (It was approx 4.52 Euros/metre - I bought 7 yards)

So, feedback all? Especially from the judges? Does this look as if it would be approvable? I don't think any of us are going to find the exact fabric, so I'm hoping this is close enough!! (You can find larger image sizes in my Imgur album at https://imgur.com/a/xRTnx

(I will post more in this thread too about my construction and patterning. I have some photos from my first attempt, but will probably do more as I work on this next version.)

Thank you all for your feedback and help!! (And sorry -- I seem to always be TL:DR jeez[/url]

Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What's important is the action. You don't have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually the confidence will follow. - Carrie Fisher
ibejedi (Heather Tanner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By request - additional photos showing it draped on a dress form. Also a couple of side by sides I assembled. Smile

I apologize in advance if the images are huge - I'm posting from my phone and I'm not an Imgur expert yet (curse you Photobucket)

I'm feeling even more hopeful!

Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What's important is the action. You don't have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually the confidence will follow. - Carrie Fisher
Daughter of Alderaan (Joy Lochelt)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow looks like a great base! Awesome find Heather!

Photos by Robbins Studios

In Progress:Padme Loyalist Gown, Leia Raddus Bridge
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks fabulous, Heather!! Leia Buns
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Just, WOW!
RLGS, RLSC

https://www.gofundme.com/a2e82f-psychiatric-service-dog-help
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say keep it and experiment with adding a metallic wash layer to it. Smile

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

LaV317 (LaVonne)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
I'd say keep it and experiment with adding a metallic wash layer to it. Smile

I did share my metallic wash/modified Dawn's Kylo mix. Smile Looking forward to seeing how it works on this fabric. It worked beautifully on mine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: