Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=493026dc838515da10c342abd2e2eaf3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Dark Side Costumes Obi wan ROTS Set

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Obi Wan Junior ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Dark Side Costumes Obi wan ROTS Set Reply with quote

Hi all, has anyone bought from Dark Side Costumes on Etsy? Their Obi Wan tunic set looks pretty good and thereís some good reviews but thereís no photos of how it looks on any customers, just a couple of shots with a model who doesnít really fit my build.

Just wondering if anyoneís has bought from them and has photos of themselves in the costume. Cheers!

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/232855793/obi-wan-kenobi-costume-tunics-tabards?ref=related-2
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks sloppy to me and has top stitching where it shouldn't. If you're looking to buy your Obi-Wan set I have no recommendations because I don't know who's offering this but if you're looking to make your set you can check out my ROTS set and I'd be happy to give you any advice.
Obi Wan Junior ()

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a link to a pic of your costume? Iím still pretty new to the forum so canít work out how to navigate to find it Laughing

Yeah I did notice the top stitching, and it does look better in a couple of other pics that are up on their website. In all honesty itís the best Iíve found online - Iíve seen some tutorials on how to make the tunics but Iím still new to sewing so I donít think iím really up to the job yet. Iím going to make my own dickie/under tunic as that seems within my capabilities haha.
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my personal costume that has long since sold but just to give you an idea:

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=98412

I no longer make prequel Era Jedi ensembles but like I said if you need advice on the build I'm happy to help.
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my personal costume that has long since sold but just to give you an idea:

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=98412

I no longer make prequel Era Jedi ensembles but like I said if you need advice on the build I'm happy to help.
Grimwalker (Derrick Billings)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(IMO) NOT APPROVABLE.

Iím not a judge, but several things I notice:

1. As noted above, topstitching on Obi, Tabards, OT Cuffs/Collar/skirt hem are not accurate
2. Obi crinkle is supposed to run on the bias (45ē angle to the grain of the crinkle) and is supposed to have bunching; this is too taut and crisp.
3. Inner tunic collar lacks double fold and (though this is not in the standards itís clearly visible on reference photos) cuffs are supposed to be snug and crumpled.

This would be approvable as a Generic Jedi but IMHO I personally choose not to be ďfailed OWK approval.Ē

His Jedi Robe on the linked page would probably be all right for Generic Jedi but Iím a bit leery that the hood is not ďattachedĒ as a separate piece that I can see. Itís definitely not approvable for OWK.

His belts also linked look like a crapshoot. With the outer belt stapled to the ends of the inner belt itís really easy to have the outer belt be loose/droopy. The onscreen construction of the belt was a single strap for the inner belt with studs as the only hardware, with the outer belt as the belt that actually functions, closing in front and holding he inner strap in place, with the overlap in back hidden/held straight by the keeper piece. Whatís linked isnít even attempting to be an OWK belt. Itís more similar to Anakin ROTS.
Obi Wan Junior ()

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Psab Keel, that looks incredible! I could use some advice or a link to a decent tutorial of some kind for the outer tunic, tabards and obi as I have no idea where to start. Iím also in the UK so no idea about fabrics etc.

Iím going to make my own inner tunic, going to be very similar to yours, I think thatís probably a bit easier than the rest.

Grimwalker - I agree on all your points, itís just the best I had found that is pre made! As mentioned above Iím definitely making my own inner tunic with the correct folds etc so no worries there. Also, Iíve got the belt almost done which Iím pretty sure would be approvable - https://imgur.com/gallery/vRtqFMF
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belt looks great! Is that the SaberForge Redeemer?

Let me know if that passes approval.

Hereís my list of bookmarks I used to make my Generic Jedi, which is a palette-swap of ROTS OWK I was using to dial in the measurements and alterations.

I strongly recommend the step of making mockups in cheap fabricsóthe Inner Tunic base pattern in the link below is for a much more angled neckline than OWK has. Also do yourself a favor and do make the under-tunic from lighter weight material. This outfit is WARM if ther is a full inner tunic with OT, Obi, and Tabards over it.

Also, sewing the tabards into the waist of the OT is unnecessary. Sew the tabards together at the desired angle, then put 3-4 heavy duty snaps right into the small of the back. Same result, and much easier to dress, undress, press, and launder. And you *will* launder this unless you live in like upper Saskatchewan.

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36267
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=82924
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29112&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1061853&highlight=#1061853
http://www.kjo.rebellegion.com/?portfolio=obi-wan-kenobi-episode-iii-2
http://grannys-costumes.blogspot.com/2008/01/how-to-make-jedi-undertunic.html?m=1
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4qvkhhUYAAE1PY?format=jpg&name=large
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to help. I don't have a step by step tutorial but if you hit snags or have any specific questions feel free to ask away.
Obi Wan Junior ()

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No itís the Roman Props Inception Elite which was the most accurate OWK EP III saber at the time. Fantastic hilt.

Thank you so much for those links, canít wait to get started now! Sort of have to learn how to use a sewing machine (and find one!) but itís all fun!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to get one with an overcast stitch and pick up an overcasting foot, itís a handy feature.
General_HighGround (Chris)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey friend, I too was eyeing the DarkSideCostumes but the price always steered me away and it just looked off. I ended up (with a lot of help) making my own tunic. I got approved in Feb, and it has held up to at least 4 troops since then. I did change my saber and Im currently going to build a new tunic with the fabric Cobalt linked in my thread. Ive been so busy that I havent made any updates to the thread recently, so if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=101047

Costumes:
Obi-Wan Kenobi - Episode III
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soo... Dark Side Costumes used to be known as Hamptons Jedi Outfitters. The owners split. The husband was the leather guy (he made pretty good looking belts... I think a number of people mentioned them here on these forums, in years past), and the wife was the costume seamstress. She reopened her costume shop under the new name.

I can't speak to everything they've made. But she made my Jedi robe (several years ago), and did a fantastic job on it. Very high quality work, and I get frequent compliments on it. A friend just got one from her last week (because he liked mine so much), and he also is extremely happy with his robe.

Again, I can't speak to all of her stuff. But the basic skills are definitely there. If you bring the issues with the Anakin costume to her attention, she might be able to fix them, and make it approvable.

Just a counterpoint to consider.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: