Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=be95fd1b275bfca10a41084b9cd683dcMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

U wing helmet build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rogue One U-Wing / X-Wing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wtyler3 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update

Figured to a way to get specific colors.... opened up the various pictures we have and used a painting program to pipette colors from the various areas... took 10 samples and averaged them... the resulting colors are really close... will go get sampels made in the am.
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright:

So I used the painting program and got some great color RBG values. Googled color finder sites and was able to get commercial names for the colors that I think are the closest match.

Now looking to see where I can get these specific colors....

Thanks Doug!
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so fast.

Seems using RGB values isn't going to get me anywhere easy (meaning go to local store, input RGB values and walk out with a color match). So I found another site where if you input the values it will find the closest match from a commercial provider. so far found 4 out of 6 colors with a existing match.

This might be very valuable for others who want the closest color match as possible.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you've been doing your research. Good luck! Smile

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

WOW a light at the end of the tunnel.

I was able to get 4 of the 5 colors matched using the EasyRGB and Sensuallogic websites (EastRGB matches the color to the closest commercial match, and the the other gives a recipe for the color to hand make).
I also reduced the front face of the visor cover by 3 mm as it just looked too wide, do it is about 47mm wide. It looks much better.

I reduced the slide button covers down to match the height of the visor cover but need to do some post processing to get them right. One thing is I am not going to do those as exact as a match to the helmets, as they must have done some kind kind of mold. I am going to use the real ones and modify them.

I also have cut the openings based on my side crests and the modified slide button covers.

Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's looking good so far. Nice work!

So, when do you start selling kits? Wink

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure I am going to do that. I would need to learn how to cast the helmet, prob vaccum mold the front visor, mold the mic nd slide button covers, but would have to buy the boom, etc.

I have most of the other stuff modeled in 3D....

Might be cost prohibited for folks to do it. It has cost me quite bit to get this far...Really would need someone with a lot of experience to give me pointers.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just kidding, anyway. But when it comes to helmet molds, I find making a two-part mold to rotocast the helmet is the easiest way. Unless you have access to a vacuumform table. Making a mold for greeblies is fairly easy as well, as most greeblies can have just a single-part mold.

But yeah, I was only kidding. Razz

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
vaultfox ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is great, your attention to detail does not go unnoticed and I am glad to see other people working on building this helmet! I still have other projects to finish before I pull the trigger on my own SPH-4, but will be watching this thread in earnest for your updates Very Happy

Also, idk if you'd ever be interested in selling prints of the crests/other pieces you've modeled, but I would be a buyer if you ever do
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I keep saying I aint gonna do something and I end up doing it..... I had to redo the visor slide covers from the ground up and so tried to get them as close as I can without doing some kind of molding.

These pass my 95% criteria so am done with these:) Now just need to clean up the rear cut out of the helmet, align the edges and make the fill plate for it.
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first test assembly! This might actually work.

Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really looking nice!

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Blue!

So I have been struggling with the cut on the side crests. It is not correct. I also realized that to make the rear cut in the helmet and get the replacement plate to look right I had to modify the side crests a bit. I think I got it looking much better now.

original model on top:

Now to make the other one the same. At some point I need to redo the 3D model to include these changes....

Once the other side is done I am ready to fully prime, sand and start painting and final assembly:)

I am going with this paint scheme:

This is the LEGO piece. They must have complete access to the LFL materials since they have this scheme on one of the pilots... and are able to make so much of the Star Wars stuff it is ridiculous. The color on the front is not correct though. I know we are not supposed to use these but it is really close......

wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know where the shot came from in the visual guide book of the above photo? I have been searching and cant find anything such as deleted scenes etc. Nothing, Nada....

As far as I can tell there are 4 variations of the color scheme.
Calum
Heff
The guy from FB (with the cracked visor)
This mostly white one seen above....

Lastly, I don't collect those Topps trading cards for Rogue One but I know one of the U wing pilots had a good shot on one of them, perhaps the other U wingers are included.... I am not going to buy all of the darn things though.

Maybe somebody out there does collect them though and can let me know?
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the final modification to the helmet is done. I put in the cut out plates in the back and amd ready to prime and sand the helmet. I will cut the plates to fit once I paint in the sides of the central crest as it is a narrow area. Once that is dry I will glue in the side crests, which will require some additional filler material and sanding.

So now just need the main blue color match to find.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rogue One U-Wing / X-Wing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: