Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=88aab9c16474741f5ea80a931c3fcc24Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Star Forge Revan (Light Side)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dangams (David)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the skirt idea! I'm interested to see what a more full skirt looks like on this costume.

And leather-wise, I did a bunch of tests, with various weights. What I ended up doing for the armour was a base layer/backing of 2/3Oz veg-tan, and then kind of making a jigsaw of 6-8oz leather for the details and shapes which I glued to the top. I was using Fiebings dyes rather than Tandy at the time, but rather than using specific shades, I blended a bunch of browns in different ways to get that range of shades. What I found super helpful for colour matching and the shapes of armour plates was the flat texture file which I extracted from the game. It should be in my photobucket album, but I'll try to shift the whole lot to Flickr when I get in from work tonight.
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangams wrote:
I like the skirt idea! I'm interested to see what a more full skirt looks like on this costume.

And leather-wise, I did a bunch of tests, with various weights. What I ended up doing for the armour was a base layer/backing of 2/3Oz veg-tan, and then kind of making a jigsaw of 6-8oz leather for the details and shapes which I glued to the top. I was using Fiebings dyes rather than Tandy at the time, but rather than using specific shades, I blended a bunch of browns in different ways to get that range of shades. What I found super helpful for colour matching and the shapes of armour plates was the flat texture file which I extracted from the game. It should be in my photobucket album, but I'll try to shift the whole lot to Flickr when I get in from work tonight.

That makes a lot of sense! My first reaction was the chestpiece might get unbalanced and strained in the areas with just the 2oz leather, but not if literally all of it has 8oz somewhere, and then it's flexible. And the texture helps a lot!

Base Membership Officer, Freedom Base
Executive Officer, Docking Bay 94 Detachment

"Translation: Two percent probability that the organic is simply looking for trouble and needs to be blasted.
That may be wishful thinking on my part, master."
~HK-47
coryphefish (Colleen J)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should probably start with the robe so I can make the armor over it.

Definitely making the "waist" higher up near the armpits.

So...robe colors. Between the following color matching and David's texture file, it's the same fabric everywhere. The contrast between the cowl and upper sleeve is just an unfortunate shading artifact.

Ordinarily, I'd play around with weathering to try to recreate the effect, but ironically, this is the one costume in all of Star Wars that should have zero weathering because Revan literally has the outfit custom made for themself in the middle of battle. (The wonders of computer spikes!)

"Translation: Two percent probability that the organic is simply looking for trouble and needs to be blasted.
~HK-47
coryphefish (Colleen J)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, I think I found some fabric I like...

I got this from the upholstery section from Joanns because it matched the texture of Jyn's rucksack. I was going to dye it tan and use it to make a shoulder strap. Now I hope Joanns has more!

~HK-47
Dangams (David)
Active Legion Member

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, my ref and wip photos should now all be on flicker.
References: https://flic.kr/s/aHskv2dp6E
WIP: https://flic.kr/s/aHskv2eWJY

For my fabric I struggled to find something that looked obviously woven and simultaneously fine but fairly heavy. I eventually got a kind of fairly fine weave hessian type stuff (that's the best way I can describe it anyway), and lined it with a cream linen. To get the difference but also similarity between the cowl/mantle and the sleeve, I used the same stuff for the lower mantle, but backed it with some pretty heavy linen I had lying around from some mediaeval reenactment gear I'd made so it hung a bit heavier. And then the upper mantle and hood were two layers of the hessian with the tunic lining linen in between.

Looks like you might be right on the money with the leftover Jyn fabric there, though!

And for the armour, the better detail and the added flexibility was exactly why I went for the thicker plates attached to the thinner backing.
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, that fabric has both a nice colour and texture. Smile I wonder how it drapes?

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
coryphefish (Colleen J)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Uh, that fabric has both a nice colour and texture. Smile I wonder how it drapes?

I was wondering about that. I only have a 6 inch cut of it though, currently. How do you usually test that?

~HK-47
coryphefish (Colleen J)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We interrupt this discussion with irrefutable proof that the boots have like ZERO heel to them.

~HK-47
coryphefish (Colleen J)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news: I got the robe fabric for $8 a yard.
Bad news: Of course they were out of the cream fabric and only had a natural/taupe

BUT that's a good match for the darkest shades I need. So as long as I get good at bleaching, it could look even more amazing!

~HK-47
Dangams (David)
Active Legion Member

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks fantastic! Can't wait to see it come together.
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. YEAH. That's definitely going to work!

Sprayed bleach-water onto the bottom 2/3rds until it was saturated, then let it dry.....and repeated on the bottom 1/3.

I like how the difference isn't dramatic and how you can barely see the points where the colors change!

~HK-47
coryphefish (Colleen J)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boots!

Just bought some brown riding boots in my size! With no zippers! For less than $20! I'll wait until I'm done with the other leather pieces and then paint them to match.

...to clarify, the standard's "over the ankle" wording means "at least" instead of "this height exactly" right?

~HK-47
Dangams (David)
Active Legion Member

Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coryphefish wrote:
Boots!

Just bought some brown riding boots in my size! With no zippers! For less than $20! I'll wait until I'm done with the other leather pieces and then paint them to match.

...to clarify, the standard's "over the ankle" wording means "at least" instead of "this height exactly" right?

Great news! And yeah, that was my thinking when I wrote that? Whether it got changed during the standards approval process, I couldn't say, though.
Essentially, so that you can't see the top of the boot. Taller boots might be more useful actually - I use ankle height chelsea boots (because I had them already from my generic Jedi and I was being cheap), and if I move too fast they do get exposed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangams wrote:
I went with 'official' blade colours because I was told that I might struggle to get it cleared due to it being such a 'customisable' costume. That didn't seem to be an issue, though, so now I'd love to see a redeemed Revan with the Heart or Mantle sabers... Very Happy

(I've got a programmable LED in my saber, so I'm tempted to change it to bronze or cyan next time I wear the costume... If I go for the Mantle colour, I could wear the mask and recreate this pic: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/2/22/Shadows_and_Light.jpg )

I'll get some reference pics once I get that far in the game...I've just re-started it and I'm still on Taris. (What reference pics I had from before all look red because I was using a camera to take pics off my laptop screen...)

My "Revan" saber has interchangeable LEDs, so it can be blue or Pyrestone Orange....I hope it still works, need to find new batteries.
coryphefish (Colleen J)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boots are here. Still can't believe I found them! Poshmark is fantastic.

- Warm medium brown
- Real leather
- Knee high
- NO ZIPPERS
- $16 including shipping after a coupon
- My size
- Seller answered questions fast
- Somewhat worn out, but in a beautifully weathered way

~HK-47
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: