Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=46dae322378add989113a458dab3dbf3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Star Forge Revan (Light Side)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coryphefish (Colleen J)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Star Forge Revan (Light Side) Reply with quote

(Note to self: Give Carth more skill points in approval-photo-taking)

I started gathering materials for this build back in 2014, but I'm glad I never made much progress because I don't think any of it would have worked with the new costume standard.

Reference photos are from the first page on google images, but I'll add more as I find them. I'm still on Taris on my second playthrough of KotOR, but when I finally get the Star Forge robes, I'm definitely taking ALL the screncaps!

Photo album of all reference images I collect: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ChLzUEF_VPXY8VjTPApylWZ67jld0cQx

Imgur album for hosting: https://imgur.com/a/7tEaQ

Costume standard: http://newsite.rebellegion.com/star-forge-revan-robes-kotor/

Jabari's standard draft: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48289&highlight=revan
(I knew those fabrics looked different!)

Anyone else have build threads? (That weren't lost in the Great Elstree Forumpocalypse?)

-------
Notes / Discussion TL/DR
-------

1. Robe/Tunic
Sleeves and skirt being part of the same garment makes so much more sense. I don't know why I didn't think about that before. Probably trying to save fabric XD

Skirt looks too full for an a-line and not twirly enough for a half circle. So...maybe a-line and a half with three panels instead of two

2. Mantle/Hood
I thought it was darker than the robe, but the whole thing just has a lot of weird shading everywhere. Which I can't even recreate with weathering because the robes are literally brand new when Revan gets them.

3. Chestpiece
Leather! I see three dye shades...
1 - Canyon/Range Tan from the Rebel Fleet Trooper belt.
2 - Watered down Canyon/Range Tan
3 - Buffalo Brown from Jyn's belt

4. Belt
See above. Maybe a thicker leather though

5. Bracers
Same as belt

6. Gloves
Easiest part of the costume!

7. Boots
As little heel as possible. See reference pic on page 2.
Find a similar color and then paint to match.

8. Lightsaber
Hmmm...the one I already have that's approveable, or the one I really want...?

Bonus items: My own hair with a ponytail extension. An advanced aural amplifier would be nice too. Oh and I sell Pazaak decks and playmats on Etsy, so that's a no-brainer.

Base Membership Officer, Freedom Base
Executive Officer, Docking Bay 94 Detachment

"Translation: Two percent probability that the organic is simply looking for trouble and needs to be blasted.
That may be wishful thinking on my part, master."
~HK-47

Last edited by coryphefish (Colleen J) on Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:05 pm; edited 8 times in total
Jabari ()

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I had started. Never finished it though:

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48289&highlight=revan
coryphefish (Colleen J)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabari wrote:
Here's what I had started.

Amazing read. It's such a historical thread. You did so much of the groundwork for this, and I really appreciate it! (And you helped get Jacob approved too!)

"Translation: Two percent probability that the organic is simply looking for trouble and needs to be blasted.
~HK-47
coryphefish (Colleen J)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabari, I loved the mention of headgear too. I'm going to collect as many as I can during my playthrough and at least take reference photos. I might end up making one. I've seen Jacob's and it looks awesome.

For the skirt, what are people's thoughts on lots of side seams to make a really full skirt without having to gather it too much? Almost like a huge circle skirt. That was my plan forever ago. I want something I could actually lightsaber duel in.

~HK-47
Jabari ()

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Glad to be of help!

Yeah, a circle skirt would be a much better idea than what I had started on mine. I'm not terribly disappointed that I never finished this yet, my sewing skills have vastly improved since then!

Another way to do it would be to make a thobe. The side panels could be made larger or flared if there wasn't enough room to fight in, but I've made one from this pattern (for a different costume) and it was pretty roomy:

Basically, it's one big rectangle the width of your shoulders (plus seam allowance). Fold in half and cut a slit just big enough to get your head through (you can trim the neckline later). Mark the fold line (or sew the shoulders together if using two pieces). Center the wide end of the sleeve piece on the shoulder line and sew.
Sew the straight side of one side triangle to each side of the robe (the right angle corner should be at the bottom hem). Add gussets in the armpit if necessary.
Sew up the side seams and sleeves.

Hopefully that makes sense, the website I got that from no longer exists and I'm writing from memory... there's a slightly different version here: http://simbelmyne.us/sca/court/norse-tunic-pattern.htm
Jabari ()

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just took a look at the new official standards in comparison to what I had in my research thread. Interesting. The main differences are:

Robe: I put the collar on the robe instead of the mantle/cowl/hood, because I thought it would be easier to hide the closure. I was more vague about the shape of the skirt (it shouldn't have obvious pleats)

Mantle/Cowl/Hood - my thought is that it's a slightly different fabric than the robe, and slightly darker (but you could use the same fabric, it's pretty close) Also, if you put the collar on the robe itself, you might not need any closures on this at all to get it over your head, depending on how you make it.

Armor, belt, bracers, hand armor - same, official CRL has better descriptions.

Gloves, boots - same, except the CRL allows brown or black gloves.

I suggested off-white pants or leggings, CRL does not mention.

Lightsaber - now, this one I'm curious about. The CRL says purple, green, yellow and blue sabers allowed, however....in the game you can also use orange (the Heart of the Guardian crystal) and cyan (Mantle of the Force). Is this one of the differences between the PC and Xbox versions? Was it just an oversight? What is the reasoning for this? Anyone know?
Dangams (David)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there! I'm the one who cleared the costume and drafted the standard. Smile

It's cool to see other people tackling this, and I'm happy to provide references/advice, as well as explain some of the choices I made. I'd link to the build thread I had on the RLUK forum, but the forum crashed over Christmas and we lost everything. :/

My ref and WIP images are here: http://s219.photobucket.com/user/Dangams/library/Revan?sort=3&page=1 At some point I intend to move them to flickr now that photobucket is useless, so if there's people wanting to use them I'll probably do that sooner rather than later.

For the tunic, I started from a mediaeval-style tunic, but added the inset sleeves from my generic Jedi IT and flared the skirt rather than using gores to minimise visible seams. I'm not sure why the standard has been changed to have the collar on the mantle - I debated where to put it for a while, but mine is rear-fastening standing collar on the main tunic.

I did a bunch of the drafting/design work for it in CAD software, so here's roughly what the eventual shape of the tunic pieces looked like:

As for lightsabers - I'm not sure why yellow was added, but my original draft standard listed blue, green and purple. Purple seems to be the most 'canonical' as far as depictions of Revan go, but there's a fair few images of Redeemed Revan with a blue saber, and the front cover of the Revan novel shows them with green.

Last edited by Dangams (David) on Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
coryphefish (Colleen J)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangams wrote:

As for lightsabers - I'm not sure why yellow was added, but my original draft standard listed blue, green and purple. Purple seems to be the most 'canonical' as far as depictions of Revan go, but there's a fair few images of Redeemed Revan with a blue saber, and the front cover of the Revan novel shows him with green.

Since this is a KotOR costume, I like that the three "starter" lightsaber colors are included (yellow, green, and blue) Those are the "most" canon for KotOR Revan even though they can upgrade their lightsaber(s) with other crystals later, including purple.

(TL;DR - Not including yellow as an approveable color would make no more sense than writing the costume standards for Red from the old school Pokémon game like "You can choose from Charmander, Bulbasaur, or Machop")

And thanks! I'll take a look. How much movement do you get with the skirt? Could you kick Darth Malak in the chin mid-duel without falling over or ripping anything?

~HK-47
Dangams (David)
Active Legion Member

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point on the saber colours - I based the list on the colours we see Revan using in other media, but the starter colours from the game make sense.

And I can't quite kick Malak's jaw off (again), but I can run in it. I based the width at the knees and ankles on my widest stride length to make sure I had plenty of movement.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ask because orange is my favorite lightsaber color... Very Happy
coryphefish (Colleen J)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabari wrote:
I ask because orange is my favorite lightsaber color... Very Happy

Revan, in an unmodded PC game, can obtain this crystal and use it to make their lightsaber appear orange in any gameplay or cutscene they use it in. Sounds legit to me. This costume is more about individual game experience than what color lightsaber was on the cover art of a book written 8 years later.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Heart_of_the_Guardian

~HK-47
Dangams (David)
Active Legion Member

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with 'official' blade colours because I was told that I might struggle to get it cleared due to it being such a 'customisable' costume. That didn't seem to be an issue, though, so now I'd love to see a redeemed Revan with the Heart or Mantle sabers... Very Happy

(I've got a programmable LED in my saber, so I'm tempted to change it to bronze or cyan next time I wear the costume... If I go for the Mantle colour, I could wear the mask and recreate this pic: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/2/22/Shadows_and_Light.jpg )
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much for Google Drive linking. But the Star Forge Robes have been acquired, which was a great excuse to play KotOR again! I'll start uploading the photos to Imgur instead. I put the best one on the main post, and I'll be sharing them as they become relevant to specific details.

~HK-47

Last edited by coryphefish (Colleen J) on Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
coryphefish (Colleen J)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This skirt looks fuller than an A-line. Maybe an A-line with 3 panels instead of 2? Full half circle?

After discussing skirts on Jabari's thread, I found a good reference image on what a full length half circle skirt looks like:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eX7jvofICK4UM-hGTlA_P2XwHi_Q3pZq

~HK-47
coryphefish (Colleen J)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leather dye tests coming soon. I'm thinking (RFT) Tandy Leather Canyon Tan for the orange brown and watered down orange brown and then (Jyn) Tandy Leather Buffalo Brown for the dark brown.

What kind of leather should I get? Jabari's build thread says heavy. So veg-tan? 5oz? 8oz?

~HK-47
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: