Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=06238b2abc6ca455d207fa31b2835452Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rebel (OT) Chestbox Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treblemaker (Carly Kennedy)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Rebel (OT) Chestbox Question Reply with quote

Greetings! I'm coordinating a Rebel X-Wing Pilot group build for Freedom and Terrapin Base.

We're looking into 3D printed chestboxes. This is the initial test print mleech77 has done using the pattern by joshvv on Thingiverse.

Front:

Back:

We wanted to check with the judges for feedback on accuracy for approval. Especially in regards to the knobs, for instance mine (pictured below) includes a more conical knob, but there seems to be some discrepancy there and the requirements only state "Accurate knobs (metal or other materials that when finished have a metallic silver appearance.), details, pin stripes etc."

In short: does the shape of the print pictured above look okay as-is, or does it need some modifications to look more like my chestbox pictured below?

TrooperPX (David Ramsay)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, the CRLs are a checklist. The wording is to help identify a specific element of the costume... when looking at the actual (film) source. (e.g. Even though it might not describe every physical aspect of the know, the original references show a know with conical details. Members have over the years identified the original part used, so we do know it's actual shape.)

Make sure the file you are printing, prints at the correct size. If the main box is coming out smaller than your other chestbox, you should scale it up to match in size. Do not rely on these files to be the (correct) size. Print a part of it out and verify the size yourself. The square details should be 1" square.

IMO the knob should have those conical details. The detail below it should not be a hole. The top detail was a washer (some use a page hole reinforcer) applied to the surface, where as in the print it appears to be a recessed detail. You may need to add another top finishing layer to reduce the print lines. Fillable auto primer will also help (better to add some fillable primer to sand and smooth, so you don't blow through the print sanding it down alone).
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrooperPX wrote:
Remember, the CRLs are a checklist. The wording is to help identify a specific element of the costume... when looking at the actual (film) source. (e.g. Even though it might not describe every physical aspect of the know, the original references show a know with conical details. Members have over the years identified the original part used, so we do know it's actual shape.)

Make sure the file you are printing, prints at the correct size. If the main box is coming out smaller than your other chestbox, you should scale it up to match in size. Do not rely on these files to be the (correct) size. Print a part of it out and verify the size yourself. The square details should be 1" square.

IMO the knob should have those conical details. The detail below it should not be a hole. The top detail was a washer (some use a page hole reinforcer) applied to the surface, where as in the print it appears to be a recessed detail. You may need to add another top finishing layer to reduce the print lines. Fillable auto primer will also help (better to add some fillable primer to sand and smooth, so you don't blow through the print sanding it down alone).

Thank you for the feedback! See, the X-Wing Chestbox Reference thread wasn’t clear on if the conical detail absolutely needed to be included or not, and a lot of the links included in that thread seem to be dead, so if there was additional discussion on those points at one time…. they’re gone now.

We’ll definitely check the size of the chestbox print file against mine, and make adjustments to get it up to approval level!

And yes, planning on using filler and sanding to smooth out the print once we know the general size/shape is approveable Wink
TrooperPX (David Ramsay)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. No real details described and I only saw one pic (and the other thread links there do not work). Confused

Regardless how detailed (or lack of details) are in the CRLs, the original references are expected to be the true source of information. The CRLs are a checklist to identify the general parts of a costume.

Here are some pics from the traveling exhibits:

JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink I'm sure you'll find something useful here:
Rebel Pilot Reference Pictures

Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrooperPX wrote:
You're right. No real details described and I only saw one pic (and the other thread links there do not work). Confused

Regardless how detailed (or lack of details) are in the CRLs, the original references are expected to be the true source of information. The CRLs are a checklist to identify the general parts of a costume.

Here are some pics from the traveling exhibits:

Understood. Thanks for the additional reference pics!

JediXXL wrote:
Wink I'm sure you'll find something useful here:
Rebel Pilot Reference Pictures

THE MOTHERLODE!!
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little birdie told me I should flyby this thread to help out, but it looks like you got all the info you needed. In short, verify the print size, and yeah, there are detail issues and the judges will notice right away.

As for all the broken links, that's all thanks to Photobucket. It's really thrown a wrench into our historical threads.

But, seems like you're all sorted out, so I'll fly on. Fly Casual!

JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the following Rebel Pilot Tutorial pictures have been migrated to a new server and all broken links/pictures are fixed. Thumbs up

X-Wing Chestbox Reference
Rebel Pilot Belt Guide
RebelPilot Chestbox/Commpad Reference
Rebel Pilot Ejection Harness Tutorial
Flak Vest Tutorial
Leg Flare Holder Tutorial
Flightsuit Tutorial

DroidWelder ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel (OT) Chestbox Question Reply with quote

The chest box that you are using for your reference is not an ideal example of what is seen on screen.
Most chest box makers/vendors will get them to a point where they don't look horrible, But they are usually
pretty far from being an accurate representation of the real props.
And those same vendors usually only want to quickly crank out items that they can sell.
They don't want to do the needed additional work to improve it and make it look more accurate.
Most chest boxes may get LCJ approval, but there are quite a few out there that don't.

A thing to note about the Original Trilogy chest boxes is that no two of them look exactly alike.
They were all made differently with different components, and small changes to the layout.
On top of that many of them were falling apart during filming, and when they were glued back together with replacement parts,
the replacements were often not exactly the same size and/or shape as the original parts that fell off.

The 3D print file that you want to use is not horrible, but it definitely needs some more work, with more attention paid
to the dimensions, proportions, and placement of the detail parts.
I will admit that the layout and spacing of the square tiles as well as the positioning of the knob details does look better than most other boxes I have seen.

If you want to make multiple chest boxes from one mold, print file, or whatever, the best thing to do would be to
create the master or file yourself based on all of the most commonly seen elements from the films.
For Rogue One the chest boxes were standardized and are all the exact same layout. (Although the RO boxes are noticably wider than the OT chest boxes.)

David L.

treblemaker wrote:
We wanted to check with the judges for feedback on accuracy for approval. Especially in regards to the knobs, for instance mine (pictured below) includes a more conical knob, but there seems to be some discrepancy there and the requirements only state "Accurate knobs (metal or other materials that when finished have a metallic silver appearance.), details, pin stripes etc."

In short: does the shape of the print pictured above look okay as-is, or does it need some modifications to look more like my chestbox pictured below?

mleech77 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel (OT) Chestbox Question Reply with quote

DroidWelder wrote:
The chest box that you are using for your reference is not an ideal example of what is seen on screen.
Most chest box makers/vendors will get them to a point where they don't look horrible, But they are usually
pretty far from being an accurate representation of the real props.
And those same vendors usually only want to quickly crank out items that they can sell.
They don't want to do the needed additional work to improve it and make it look more accurate.
Most chest boxes may get LCJ approval, but there are quite a few out there that don't.

A thing to note about the Original Trilogy chest boxes is that no two of them look exactly alike.
They were all made differently with different components, and small changes to the layout.
On top of that many of them were falling apart during filming, and when they were glued back together with replacement parts,
the replacements were often not exactly the same size and/or shape as the original parts that fell off.

The 3D print file that you want to use is not horrible, but it definitely needs some more work, with more attention paid
to the dimensions, proportions, and placement of the detail parts.
I will admit that the layout and spacing of the square tiles as well as the positioning of the knob details does look better than most other boxes I have seen.

If you want to make multiple chest boxes from one mold, print file, or whatever, the best thing to do would be to
create the master or file yourself based on all of the most commonly seen elements from the films.
For Rogue One the chest boxes were standardized and are all the exact same layout. (Although the RO boxes are noticably wider than the OT chest boxes.)

David L.

David,

Thanks for your input here. As I'm the one that is helping out with the group build from the 3D printing front I appreciate your explanation. I have only recently started on the 3D modeling front, but this item itself seems like a good basic one to try based on what I've seen. I'd love to work with one of the judges that have a good reference on hand so that I can get the dimensions and details correct. If I can get it right, I'd be happy to make the file available to all in the RL.

Is there anyone specific you suggest I could work with to get the dimensions and such to build the file?
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone could help Matt with some more accurate measurements for creating a 3D file, we'd really appreciate it!

We just want to work with you guys to ensure we're getting the box as accurate as possible up front before my group of nearly 20 participants drops too much time/money on an item that won't be approved! And as Matt said, he'd like to make the file available for other RL members to be able to use too!

If we don't hear back from anyone, I guess we'll just move forward using the measurements from my chestbox which has been approved. Even if it isn't an ideal example at least it's something I have physically and can take a ruler to for measurements.
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can measure my chest box. What measurements do you need?
I'm sure you can get a baseline with the averages between yours and mine.
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediXXL wrote:
I can measure my chest box. What measurements do you need?
I'm sure you can get a baseline with the averages between yours and mine.

That would be awesome! I've asked Matt to let us know what measurements are needed since he's the one with the printer!
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's chest box do you have now? If we have the same box the measurements will be the same.
coryphefish (Corellon J)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what I'm seeing is....

1. Find out if Carly and Gil have chestboxes from the same vendor, and if not, identify any varying dimensions / placement measurements

2. Edit the Thingiverse file to more accurately reflect said measurements.

3. Make the knob more conical.

Anything else that needs to be done?

2018/19: Commanding Officer, Docking Bay 94 Detachment
2017/18: DXO DB94, BMO Freedom Base

"Translation: Two percent probability that the organic is simply looking for trouble and needs to be blasted.
That may be wishful thinking on my part, master."
~HK-47
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: