Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c3f249d3dfd4840ad23a6b96a8e8ce85Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Forces of Destiny Princess Leia Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Forces of Destiny Princess Leia Build Reply with quote

I got the idea to attempt this costume as I was tagged in the video by a friend saying it reminded her of my Endor Leia.

I watched the cartoon several times and really liked the slight variations on her costume from the film and decided to give it a try. I had received a few JoAnn's GC so I thought attempting this basically "for free" would be a fun project. After analyzing the images, I came up with a general idea of what was needed.

Luckily, I was able to get all shots of the costume needed. A good back shot was shown in "Imperial Feast" but the rest of the images were obtained from the short, "Ewok Escape".

Based on the images, here is what I came up with. Leia is wearing a fitted shirt, all one length with sleeves that reach to just above the elbows with a high collar and a hood. The shirt has somewhat flared sleeves and has coloring only in dark green, light green and a medium green. There is no tan/white/brown on this costume.

Her pants are blue with a yellow stripe down the side.
She is wearing a black belt with a holster and no blaster as well as one side pouch. The belt also has a buckle that is roughly the size of the belt itself.

She has no greeblies or wrist compad and her hair is in a braid all the way around her head. Her boots are black.

Using these observations, I started my build. I used a pattern that has worked for me for my Tattoine Peasant Padme buld and went from there.

I used option E as my pattern base. I lengthened it by a few inches to make it longer and made my first attempt with some bright green linen I had found on sale.

I used interfacing to make the collar and added it to the neckline fairly easily.

I initially used the sleeves that also came with the pattern for view C but found out later that these were too fitted for the look I was going for.

Using fabric spray paint, I tried to copy the design on the poncho as closely to Leia's as I could.

I had a spare black belt at home so I used that as my belt and added my Endor holster to it as well as one of the pouches from my Endor costume and made the buckle out of craft foam.

Once it was all finished, I took photos.

I received a few requests for changes from the judges on this and worked on what was needed yesterday.

I remade the tunic with a more U shaped neckline and a higher collar. I also changed the color to make it less bright and dyed my pants to make them a darker blue. The pouch needed to be bigger and more in proportion to the holster so I made a new one out of spare leather I had lying around. I made the buckle smaller and also widened the sleeves so that they flare out more and weren't so fitted. The hood could not have top stitching on the visible part so I took the pattern I had used and cut the front portion on the fold to achieve that.

I found a pattern with a high collar on it and used that to remake the collar from scratch.

The new sleeves I also used a different pattern for as well.

These shots were taken before I applied any paint to achieve the camouflage effect. I am, however, super happy with how my dye job turned out! The fabric was originally tan but I used RIT dye in "Dark Green" and didn't "swirl" the fabric at all. I just dunked it and let the color take where it would. It came out better than I had hoped to be honest.

The new color of the pants was achieved using RIT Dye in "Evening Blue" with 2 capfuls of "Royal Blue".

My pouch had to bigger so I used my existing pouch as a base and then added 3 inches to it to pattern it. I then sewed it together and added the flap minus the band since I noticed Leia's doesn't have one. The buckle is made of craft foam and cut to the exact size of the belt.

When I remade the sleeves, I did a comparison shot of mine against Leia's to make sure they matched.

The boots in the cartoon are apparently gray. I don't have the best color recognition and thought they were black. I ordered new gray ones that should arrive today. I'm super happy with all that I have accomplished in building this costume and can't wait to wear it.

New photos of the top with the paint added to it will be posted soon. endor trooper

PR/Social Media Team for RL Strategic Command
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made some significant changes to this costume since my last post. I ended up just starting from scratch and redoing the entire tunic as the color wasn't doing what I wanted with it.

I was having issues getting the sleeves to flare out enough so my amazing friend took my current sleeve pattern and modified it to work.

This was the existing pattern which I had matched up with my first version of the sleeves. I was hoping that by using a "flouncy" sleeve pattern, I would achieve what was required.

This was the sleeve sizing for the new pattern cut on size XS.

This was what my friend, Anya, suggested I do to the pattern.

The revised pattern with 2 inches added on either side for more "poof".

This worked beautifully and gave me just the right look I needed.

It was also decided that Leia's collar connects right into the hood and is not two separate pieces. I remade the collar and attached the hood accordingly. It is a functional hood, which I like, and drapes well in back.

I used double the interfacing to make sure it stood up just like the cartoon version.

Once I had it all put together, I painted the camo using Tulip Fabric Spray Paint. It went on great and dried overnight.

I also made my braid bigger by using the braid I used for my Briefing Room Leia and braiding my own hair around it to make it bigger and more cartoon like. Leia also has tendrils on the sides of her face so I made sure to add those as well. Really loving how it is all coming together. Mr. Green

PR/Social Media Team for RL Strategic Command
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Ritin Kornas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good ! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: