Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f8eac82883abca3d527cd61e4a74d16aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Kaydel/generic officers from TLJ costume standard discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> RL GSC Standards Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corvid ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think the color is not a bright yellow-gold; it's a much more muted, military mustardish khaki type of color. They're drawing inspiration from the telogroika jackets of WW2:

This is not, obviously, the correct color for the screen jacket, but I think it gives an idea of what sort of inspiration they're drawing on for coloration, etc.
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 4 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corvid wrote:
I really think the color is not a bright yellow-gold; it's a much more muted, military mustardish khaki type of color. They're drawing inspiration from the telogroika jackets of WW2:

This is not, obviously, the correct color for the screen jacket, but I think it gives an idea of what sort of inspiration they're drawing on for coloration, etc.

Aye thats why in the standard proposal a few posts ago i posted the color swatches. I agree its muted.

Also your color isnt bad at all! Its really super close! More muted and its spot on. Heck id approve this color! Razz Its the bright yellows and golds I think that do not look enough like the original.

LMO 501st Legion ALMO Rebel Legion
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abigailrising wrote:
tenebris wrote:
Rank badge dimentions

3.5 cm x 7cm

Insignia

9cm x 9cm

this is the size you you can see for reference. Excuse my half built pryce......

[/i]

Do you think we should have precise dimensions or regulate it to be relative to the wearer? Because for someone as small as I am, those dimensions might actually look a little large and clunky. Just a thought!

Yes some form of measurement is needed. Just nothing precise.

As I have mentioned before adding approximate before it negates exacts. Note the
"Approximately 1/2 inch"
"approximately 3.5 inch"

this is a universal term for judges and GMLS (in the 501) to not be hung up on exacts.
Hope that helps

Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To keep on track

I notice that the other connix standard allows for all hair colors. should we just go ahead and say only blonde on this? i am personally fine with it but I would love thoughts...

Please review the following....

Quote:

Kaydel Ko Connix TLJ Mock Standard

Jacket

Jacket is made from a muted natural fiber fabric. The color consists of off yellow with tones of brown or tan.
Features approximately one inch collar that is void of decoration.
Front closure is two inches off center on the costumers right shoulder.
Quilting is approximately half inch wide and covers the entire jacket.
Sleeves end at the wrist.
The jacket is tailored and form fitting to the wearer.
The skirting is belled and ends at the upper-mid thigh.
Dark red resistance symbol sits above the breast on the costumers left shoulder and is approximately 3.5 inches in all directions.
Lieutenant rank badge sits directly atop the rebel bird.
Princess seams at back of the jacket.

Pants

-Pants are a chocolate brown and made from a natural fiber.
-Pants are form fitting and tailored to the wearer.
-Pants may have pocket but are not visible when jacket is worn.
-Combat stitching around the knee.

Boots

-Boots are leather or leather like and dark brown .
-High riding height with pull strap on the side.

Belt

-Belt is a warm reddish brown and approximately 3 inches tall.
-Belt buckle is same height as the belt and flush and is approximately 4.5 inches wide
-Belt is worn high just below the rib cage.

Hair and Face

-Minimal makeup can be utilized.
-Hair is natural colored (dirty blonde is optimal) with hair tied in two small buns at the top of the head.
-The hair is parted in the center.

Quote:

Resistance Officer Jacket Mock Standard

Jacket

Jacket is made from a muted natural fiber fabric. The color consists of off yellow with tones of brown or tan.
Features approximately one inch collar that is void of decoration.
Front closure is two inches off center on the costumers right shoulder.
Quilting is approximately half inch wide and covers the entire jacket.
Sleeves end at the wrist.
The jacket is tailored and form fitting to the wearer.
The skirting is belled and ends at the upper-mid thigh.
Dark red resistance symbol sits above the breast on the costumers left shoulder and is approximately 3.5 inches in all directions.
Rank badge sits directly atop the rebel bird.
Princess seams at back of the jacket.
Optional: Pull tab at back with strap. Strap ends at the princess seam

Pants

-Pants are made from a natural fiber and earthly tone. Muted green and browns are optomal.
-Pants are tailored to the wearer.
-Pants may have pocket but are not visible when jacket is worn.
-Optional: Combat stitching around the knee.

Boots

-Boots are any shade of brown.
-Boots are above the ankle and below the knee
-Minimal straps are permitted.

Belt

-Belt is a warm reddish brown and approximately 3 inches tall.
-Belt buckle is same height as the belt and flush and is approximately 4.5 inches wide
-Belt is worn high just below the rib cage.

Hair and Face

-Hair is natural colored.

Please review this before commenting things we have already addressed Smile I know we all have words but hashing out the same things already addressed in the mockup is not moving this forward. <3 you guys are awesome and thank you so much for your dedication

abigailrising ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think blonde hair should be specified for Connix, since general resistance officers allow all natural colors.

I believe that the pants requirements should have more details... What exactly is combat stitching? I'm not aware of what that is and I have a lot of experience in sewing, so I feel that someone less experienced that I am would have the same question. Is there any way we could make that a little more specific?

I have another question: As previously discussed, Connix's pants appear olive in some scenes and brown in others, making it seem that she may have two separate pairs of pants that she wears throughout the film. Will we be including both the olive drab and the dark brown colors in the CRL or will it stay just brown?

Other than that, thank you so much for clearing up everything that's been discussed so far. There's so much it gets confusing.
PrincessLivia ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely think all natural colours should be allowed, afterall all natural colours are allowed with Leia so not sure why we should have any different for Connix?
PrincessLivia ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely think all natural colours should be allowed, afterall all natural colours are allowed with Leia so not sure why we should have any different for Connix?
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrincessLivia wrote:

Aye especially sine the other Connix lists all colors as natural. I don't know if we want to start moving away from that and striving for a bit more accuracy.

TBH I am super on the fence and love to hear thoughts.

Benae Quee (Kristin Sirota)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as color, I found this Gutterman thread in Joann while I was buying business supplies. It might be my phone screen, but it looks lighter in person, more muted.
I'm just trying to give a tangible reference that people can see. Pantone colors are fine and all, but will show differently on every computer or phone screen if someone does not have an actual swatch. If we can find more tangible colors, even paint chips from home depot, it will better help people physically see the color.
My experience with these threads are that the dye lots tend to be accurate no matter where I buy the thread. I also have a ton of ribbon sample cards from my days in the NYC garment district. I'd be more than happy to check the Offray cards for something similar. Offray ribbon is sold in Joann as well. Unless they changed their colors, it should still hold true to what you can find in stores.
This is one of those costumes where it will be hard to convey the proper color on a screen, and easier if someone has a paint chip, or spool of thread, to go off.

If anyone has a Silhouette cutting machine and wants a distressed looking rebel bird for their jacket (any version), I drew one up that I used on mine. I used Heat Transfer Vinyl, since I have a ton of it, but you could also make a stencil and opt to paint it in. Scale the bird to the desired size, I believe I made mine about 3.75" in scale to what I saw on Billie's jacket. I have either a STUDIO3 file or a JPEG you can convert yourself for another cutter.

Basing the width of the quilting at 1/2", it looks like the rebel covers about 1 7/8" worth of space in the visible half of it (multiply by 2 for the other half = 3.75").

Is there a thread elsewhere with information on the size of the rank badges? Regardless of costumer body size, the rank badge should be the same size across the board. Have we nailed down the sizes for TLJ officer ranks?

I still think that brown or olive drab should be used for the pants, not just brown. This recent photo makes it look like her pants are olive. Is it possible that she had two pairs that were used in shooting? Seeing as TFA pants are olive, it would make sense that they may use them again in difference scenes or if they shot scenes during TFA for TLJ and had her change tops and not bottoms. I just saw the movie again on Saturday and sometimes they looked olive, and sometimes brown. In this photo, the boots are definitely brown, but the pants look olive in comparison. The photo also looks slightly de-saturated as BB8 is not as bright as normal.

I'll say again, I think it should be naturally occurring hair colors, not strictly blonde. If one standard already says it, why change it for the same character, but in a different costume. As long as the hair is styled correctly, that's the more iconic part of it. The buns should be above the ears and slightly back, they should not touch the ears at all.

I think good optional items can include a coms headset and the blaster and holster combo.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benae Quee wrote:
Pantone colors are fine and all, but will show differently on every computer or phone screen

That's the idea of Pantone. If your screen colour calibration is reasonably accurate, Pantone references will try to keep the output you see as close to the source as possible.
If you take a photo, then depending upon how the picture was taken (white balance, colour temp, etc) the results you see would vary even more as there is no fixed reference for the image colour you start with. Pantone and CMYK/RGB references give you a reasonable datum to remove the variables at the source end. Output can still vary but at least one end of the process is quite static.
Arthrax (Rebecca Fisher-Jackson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kylo Ren wrote:
PrincessLivia wrote:

Aye especially sine the other Connix lists all colors as natural. I don't know if we want to start moving away from that and striving for a bit more accuracy.

From a brunette with a cleared TFA Connix, please, please, please do not specify this.

First of all, I have tried doing the TLJ Connix buns with two seperate wigs, and both times - because of the way she has her buns in this film - it has looked truly, truly awful.

Secondly, I fear doing this brings in an element of discrimination that is truly not needed for a secondary character. Connix's hair style is iconic enough for people to know whom you are: I've had people salute me and say "For the Resistance" as they are walking by, even though I have dark brown hair. I feel that by stipulating this, we would be moving into unchartered territory that I do think is a good idea. I feel this would put people off doing the character, rather than encouraging the love for Billie's character; I know for one to pull off this look with a wig, you'd need to buy a decent lace front wig. I'm a university student, and while it is easy to say that people should just save up for costumes, I don't think it is fair to say that as it emphases the 'elitism' that some people feel the Legion represents. Yes, I do agree that we need to uphold a standard, but I do not think that defining hair colour as needing to be blonde is a way to do this; there is proof of the cleared TFA Connixes experiences, my included, that people know who we are, without needing to be blonde. In fact, it could have a real detrimental affect if people with wigs that aren't subtle are approved; a bad wig is very noticeable from far off.

Furthermore, I can see CRLs going from stipulating hair colour, to stipulating eye colour. While yes, brown hair is preferred for Leia, it is just that: 'preferred'. If we can have Leias approved with natural hair colour, and there be female Luke Skywalkers (which I am also working on), we can definitely have a brown-haired, or red-haired Connix.

Truthfully, I picked up Connix as my first Legion costume to honour Carrie. The thought that maybe I wouldn't be able to carry on representing Billie just because I was born with the wrong hair colour, is very upsetting.

Please don't make blonde hair be a stipulation of the CRL.
TFA Kaydel Ko Connix - Junior Controller's Uniform - Approved! (26/06/17)

WIP Costumes:
TFA General Leia Organa (Jumpsuit)
ANH Luke Skywalker (Lars Homestead / Tatooine)
Troop Count: 11
PrincessLivia ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthrax wrote:
Kylo Ren wrote:
PrincessLivia wrote:

From a brunette with a cleared TFA Connix, please, please, please do not specify this.

First of all, I have tried doing the TLJ Connix buns with two seperate wigs, and both times - because of the way she has her buns in this film - it has looked truly, truly awful.

Secondly, I fear doing this brings in an element of discrimination that is truly not needed for a secondary character. Connix's hair style is iconic enough for people to know whom you are: I've had people salute me and say "For the Resistance" as they are walking by, even though I have dark brown hair. I feel that by stipulating this, we would be moving into unchartered territory that I do think is a good idea. I feel this would put people off doing the character, rather than encouraging the love for Billie's character; I know for one to pull off this look with a wig, you'd need to buy a decent lace front wig. I'm a university student, and while it is easy to say that people should just save up for costumes, I don't think it is fair to say that as it emphases the 'elitism' that some people feel the Legion represents. Yes, I do agree that we need to uphold a standard, but I do not think that defining hair colour as needing to be blonde is a way to do this; there is proof of the cleared TFA Connixes experiences, my included, that people know who we are, without needing to be blonde. In fact, it could have a real detrimental affect if people with wigs that aren't subtle are approved; a bad wig is very noticeable from far off.

Furthermore, I can see CRLs going from stipulating hair colour, to stipulating eye colour. While yes, brown hair is preferred for Leia, it is just that: 'preferred'. If we can have Leias approved with natural hair colour, and there be female Luke Skywalkers (which I am also working on), we can definitely have a brown-haired, or red-haired Connix.

Truthfully, I picked up Connix as my first Legion costume to honour Carrie. The thought that maybe I wouldn't be able to carry on representing Billie just because I was born with the wrong hair colour, is very upsetting.

I second everything Rebecca has just said. Where I understand that our standards are high in this legion and we uphold accuracy but specifying hair colour I do not agree with. Princess Leia is one of the main characters in Star Wars and to be approved as her you are allowed all natural hair colours. To then say blonde hair is needed to clear as Connix is unfair. Especially because she is such a small character as of now, I feel like the need for hair colour will put a lot of people off, as Rebecca said in order for it to look half decent, you would need a pretty pricey lace front wig, if not even a full lace wig since we are working with buns here. Iím really disappointed in the discrimination of hair colour here. Saying you canít be a character just because you werenít born with the correct hair colour is quite frankly very upsetting. Especially since we should be brining recognition to this character and not to drive people away because they donít have blonde hair. Even so, Billieís hair isnít completely blonde, thereís brown in it too. So many people have already cleared as TFA Connix as a brunette, please donít change this because I know for a fact itíll put people off. I can understand asking people to wear a wig if they have purple, or pink hair. Unnatural colours on the forefront, but not people who have natural hair colours. Iím deeply appalled by this 😔
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrincessLivia wrote:
Arthrax wrote:
Kylo Ren wrote:
PrincessLivia wrote:

I second everything Rebecca has just said. Where I understand that our standards are high in this legion and we uphold accuracy but specifying hair colour I do not agree with. Princess Leia is one of the main characters in Star Wars and to be approved as her you are allowed all natural hair colours. To then say blonde hair is needed to clear as Connix is unfair. Especially because she is such a small character as of now, I feel like the need for hair colour will put a lot of people off, as Rebecca said in order for it to look half decent, you would need a pretty pricey lace front wig, if not even a full lace wig since we are working with buns here. Iím really disappointed in the discrimination of hair colour here. Saying you canít be a character just because you werenít born with the correct hair colour is quite frankly very upsetting. Especially since we should be brining recognition to this character and not to drive people away because they donít have blonde hair. Even so, Billieís hair isnít completely blonde, thereís brown in it too. So many people have already cleared as TFA Connix as a brunette, please donít change this because I know for a fact itíll put people off. I can understand asking people to wear a wig if they have purple, or pink hair. Unnatural colours on the forefront, but not people who have natural hair colours. Iím deeply appalled by this 😔

I think discrimination is a touch intense of a word here. Please do not forget that I am the person adding these details and I am a blue eyed Black Haired person Smile I do not see any unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex here. A man..older person...any weight or creed or anyone else can be Connix.

As I stated and am very open to all your opinions on this (and as I even mentioned we allow it in the other standard). But you guys wanted pants seams and that is a lot less noticeable than hair. So I wanted to ask you guys. I am not even putting any pressure on it.
Smile

Also none of this is set in stone but as you can see if you read the standard it currently says the following. I really like this wording and putting strong preference on the blonde hair. Hope that helps clear things up

Hair and Face

-Hair is natural colored (dirty blonde is optimal) with hair tied in two small buns at the top of the head.

Last edited by Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright) on Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I am using my own images of myself as Connix to show you guys, aside from the fact that my costume is ugly and I am to old. Do you guys think this is off putting?

PrincessLivia ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kylo Ren wrote:
PrincessLivia wrote:
Arthrax wrote:
Kylo Ren wrote:
PrincessLivia wrote:

I think discrimination is a touch intense of a word here. Please do not forget that I am the person adding these details and I am a blue eyed Black Haired person Smile I do not see any unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex here. A man..older person...any weight or creed or anyone else can be Connix.

As I stated and am very open to all your opinions on this (and as I even mentioned we allow it in the other standard). But you guys wanted pants seams and that is a lot less noticeable than hair. So I wanted to ask you guys. I am not even putting any pressure on it.
Smile

Also none of this is set in stone but as you can see if you read the standard it currently says the following. I really like this wording and putting strong preference on the blonde hair. Hope that helps clear things up

Hair and Face

I definitely think blonde hair should be optional and let others clear with natural hair colours like it is with every other face character.

Iím fine with every other standard, this one is the one bugging me and a few others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> RL GSC Standards Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: