Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2ec52c0995a47344c988f5ec8f4dca97Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Kaydel/generic officers from TLJ costume standard discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> RL GSC Standards Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tenebris (empathy)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rank badge dimentions

3.5 cm x 7cm

Insignia

9cm x 9cm

this is the size you you can see for reference. Excuse my half built pryce......

[/i]
Iron Edge (Ian Cook)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristin, for one, yes you did implicate my intire base and call us childish.
"I didn't want to say it, but it looks like favoritism on Sunrider's part, just to be "first"... which is just childish." Which ironically, can be viewed as childish of you to do so.

Seeing that you declined to remove your disparaging comments, we will be contacting the Cog, these unfounded accusations against my base and base member are without warrant and also is a charter violation. Just like the "Orange Mafia", there is no Sunrider Maifa pulling strings in the background. Let's keep this discussion going in a positive direction getting a good standard in place and keep it civil.

ladysolo14 ()
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of accusations flying around in this thread and it will not be tolerated. If you have an issue with judging, you contact me in private since I'm the LMO. If you don't think I'm doing my job, you have the option to appeal to LAC.

Let me lay it out for all of you, the challenges that the judges are currently facing. Due to the ever growing popularity of the Star Wars franchise we have an overwhelming number of costumes in the queue, at any given time, which can make it difficult to maintain consistency across all applications. In addition, due to the charter, members are allowed to submit costumes from the new movies that do not have standards. In the recent weeks, the judges have been overwhelmed with these types of costumes and have been attempting to figure out how to judge them without having great references. At the same time, the applicants are putting pressure on the judges to approve the costumes so they can wear them to events. This puts the judges in a tough situation because now they might be juggling 2 or 3 costumes that have no standards with no good references and now they have to do the research to figure out how to judge the costume. That is a ton of work. It is these reasons why we start to see inconsistencies in judging and why it is hard to keep track of what one costume was approved with versus another because to be honest, it is overwhelming. The judges are doing the best they can with a system that we know is broken. I’m not going to try and hide it, we know the system is broken and needs improvement. A broken system means mistakes can be made and inconsistency will exist. The legion membership team is working hard to find solutions to these issues but we are also overwhelmed with accusations and disputes such as this which take away from our time to work on the solutions.

As for why one costume was not approved over the other. I was only involved in reviewing Benae Quee’s costume because it was brought to my attention due to her making accusations on FB about the judging team. I reviewed her costume and agreed with the judges that at this time her costume did not meet what we felt was acceptable for Connix from the references that we had at the time. Per the approved Connix, Benae Quee is comparing the costume to, from what the judges are telling me those were not her final approval photos. They were not updated on her application. This is why judges always state that you should never compare your costume to previously approved costumes. In addition, members have the ability to edit those photos on their own so they should never be taken as a source of truth and accuracy.

Look, no one is out to be bias or to have grudges or to point fingers. The judging team does what they think is best for the club. It's a hard job to find the line between too picky and not strict enough in the detail allowed. We are working on making the process better, it takes time and the last thing we need is non productive conversations within a discussion that is one we need and was being productive. I request that all post dealing with any accusatory topics be removed from this thread. If they are not then this issue will be reviewed by the COG. If the concerns can be brought up in a non accusatory manner and you wish to start another thread to discuss the issues at hand, I’m all for it. I’m trying to help facilitate and focus the discussions the legion needs to have to move forward.
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 4 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benae Quee wrote:
Just noticing this as well. My pants are the olive drab color, my boots lack the buckle, and my jacket does not have princess seams.

Hello hun,
I think that this is esclating to levels that it doesnt need to...
I just wanted to extend my deepest apologies for what you are feeling. I would encourage you to reapply (I would have after the film came out). Without going into details (Which as you know we discussed) We just didnt have enough information when you applied to approve Connix (as a face character.) I know you are a angry but unfortunately with costumes of this type when there is less information to go on when the movie isnt out and we are just going off of reference images.

I hope that I can clarify some of what happened. Please note these are not excuses, feelings or opinions.

Per the Charter: I can not judge my own base, I was also not in town and was on vacation. I couldnt have assisted with the costumes approval. Sorry charter rules. No shenanguns could have occurred as per the charter I cant be the judge.

The costume in question was approved weeks after the movie came out: IE:The judges had more information.
Your costume had already been approved as well.

The costumes in question has issues: All costumes do.

The costume in question was judged and approved by a different judge.
We all see different things. Some of us are more detail orientated. Myself I see somewhere in the middle. I myself love to dissect costumes. I have written some odd 20 CRLS and Standards this year. This isnt my first rodeo with new to the legion costume. So I am very very detailed and I love for the first costume to be as precise as possible. So I apologize for my over zealousness with your costume. The best people to judge costumes are often people who have made these costumes previously and since I had made one and done the work and found reference on these costumes I can best assist.

Also unfortunately you are using old images before the costume was fixed
. The costume in question was updated the images on file were not updated. Which is why we do not allow applicants to use images from other approved costumes. Unfortunately I am guilty of this as well. Ive approved costumes without updating the applicants photos. Smile

Your costume was approved. I personally would have applied again after the film as Connix. With a couple of the corrections that were then seen in the movie.

The costume in question was not approved willy nilly it was approved weeks after the movie came out (2 weeks after some of us had seen it). After we had information (more information) on the costume was acquired.

I freaking love your passion and your work is absolutely stunning. Please know that honestly no one was shafting you or favoring members from their own base. I dont know why that would even matter, it wouldn't to me. I didnt even know that was a thing.. You are an incredibly dedicated and hard working costumer. If you want to message me privately please do.

Have a wonderful day and may the force be with you!

-Dawn

LMO 501st Legion ALMO Rebel Legion
Arthrax (Rebecca Fisher-Jackson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do need to go back and respond to other posts in this thread, but I have a massive amount of work that I need to complete by the 9th.

Just one thing I'd like to chime in and say: what is the obsession with cambric cotton? I found out that heavy natural cambric cotton was the SA fabric, months ago, and I made my jacket out of it. Therefore, this does not affect me so much, but I'm concerned for the other Connixes.

I think it's nice to strive for SA within the Legion, but I do not think it should be a CRL requirement.

For example, I'm also working on an ANH Luke Skywalker (Lars' Homestead / Tatooine). The original gi/tunic was made from the material viyella, but that is hard to find and expensive to find, so any material that looks the same and drapes the same way is acceptable. If this is the case for one of the most iconic costumes in the Saga, then it should be the same across all of them. Cambric cotton should be a suggestion for people to use, but it shouldn't be written as 100% needed in the CRL; if people find good alternatives that look the same, that should be more than enough.

Further more, in terms of writing out dimensions for things like the badge, I think that's a great starting point for a guideline, but really aren't exact dimensions for those things going to change depending on the person making the costume's own dimensions?
TFA Kaydel Ko Connix - Junior Controller's Uniform - Approved! (26/06/17)

WIP Costumes:
TFA General Leia Organa (Jumpsuit)
ANH Luke Skywalker (Lars Homestead / Tatooine)
Troop Count: 11
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthrax wrote:

Further more, in terms of writing out dimensions for things like the badge, I think that's a great starting point for a guideline, but really aren't exact dimensions for those things going to change depending on the person making the costume's own dimensions?

Aye approximations are the way I would like Standards to be following. Never exacts. its to "exact"
Everything should be scaled to size all sizes should have approximations before them that way no one gets to nitpicky about details.

Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaydel Ko Connix TLJ Mock Standard

Jacket

Jacket is made from a muted natural fiber fabric. The color consists of off yellow with tones of brown or tan.
Features approximately one inch collar that is void of decoration.
Front closure is two inches off center on the costumers right shoulder.
Quilting is approximately half inch wide and covers the entire jacket.
Sleeves end at the wrist.
The jacket is tailored and form fitting to the wearer.
The skirting is belled and ends at the upper-mid thigh.
Dark red resistance symbol sits above the breast on the costumers left shoulder and is approximately 3.5 inches in all directions.
Lieutenant rank badge sits directly atop the rebel bird.
Princess seams at back of the jacket.

Pants

-Pants are a chocolate brown and made from a natural fiber.
-Pants are form fitting and tailored to the wearer.
-Pants may have pocket but are not visible when jacket is worn.
-Combat stitching around the knee.

Boots

-Boots are leather or leather like and dark brown .
-High riding height with pull strap on the side.

Belt

-Belt is a warm reddish brown and approximately 3 inches tall.
-Belt buckle is same height as the belt and flush and is approximately 4.5 inches wide
-Belt is worn high just below the rib cage.

Hair and Face

-Minimal makeup can be utilized.
-Hair is natural colored (dirty blonde is optimal) with hair tied in two small buns at the top of the head.
-The hair is parted in the center.

Last edited by Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright) on Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:37 am; edited 5 times in total
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resistance Officer Jacket Mock Standard

Jacket

Jacket is made from a muted natural fiber fabric. The color consists of off yellow with tones of brown or tan.
Features approximately one inch collar that is void of decoration.
Front closure is two inches off center on the costumers right shoulder.
Quilting is approximately half inch wide and covers the entire jacket.
Sleeves end at the wrist.
The jacket is tailored and form fitting to the wearer.
The skirting is belled and ends at the upper-mid thigh.
Dark red resistance symbol sits above the breast on the costumers left shoulder and is approximately 3.5 inches in all directions.
Rank badge sits directly atop the rebel bird.
Princess seams at back of the jacket.
Optional: Pull tab at back with strap. Strap ends at the princess seam

Pants

-Pants are made from a natural fiber and earthly tone. Muted green and browns are optomal.
-Pants are tailored to the wearer.
-Pants may have pocket but are not visible when jacket is worn.
-Optional: Combat stitching around the knee.

Boots

-Boots are any shade of brown.
-Boots are above the ankle and below the knee
-Minimal straps are permitted.

Belt

-Belt is a warm reddish brown and approximately 3 inches tall.
-Belt buckle is same height as the belt and flush and is approximately 4.5 inches wide
-Belt is worn high just below the rib cage.

Hair and Face

-Minimal makeup can be utilized.
-Hair is natural colored.

Last edited by Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright) on Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:42 am; edited 4 times in total
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenebris (empathy)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn’t need to be cambric cotton, I did put lawn or tight weave cotton as a possible fabric. If you want that soft look....that’s what it is basically.

It’s quilted, not just topstitched. I really think that needs to go in. I think that’s why some of the already approved costumes look a bit flat.

I was approximating dimensions because people were moaning about not being cleared for their badge being too big or in the wrong place. I did also say we need an in relation to. We need some kind of marker on the costumes to take the dimensions from. Hence what I said about the badge in relation to the insignia.

I think the detail on the trousers should be there. You can see it. Seems totally bonkers to put in a back strap and princess seams and not include any detail from the bottom half of the costume.
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quilting: Agree on quilting. Changed in post above.

Fabric: "Jacket is made from a muted natural fiber fabric."

I think just leaving it with a natural fiber fabric is fine. I dont personally care what you use so long as the color is nice.

Backstrap and Princess

back strap was optional and only on the resistance already.
Its not on Connix's costume from what I can see from any reference.
Connix and the other officers do for sure have a princess

Pants
Removed Optional Pant seam. Agree

Boots
tailored some wording on the boots to the following..

"Boots

-Minimal straps are permitted. "

Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I would like to thank all of you who have put forth some great points, observations, ideas and options
....and have kept to the subject at hand.

Recognize that all standards are generally meant to be a starting point and we all have entered this hobby for different reasons.

Please note that I will not be around much this week and hope that this conversation can continue to move forward to the satisfaction of all levels of costume enthusiasts.

And, I will mention this once again. Anyone who had a costume denied is welcome to re-submit the costume ONCE THE STANDARD IS ESTABLISHED.

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
abigailrising ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I haven't checked this thread in a few days, so I'm a little late, but a few posts ago there was a comment made about what kind of blaster Connix has and about the holster she has.
Connix carries a Glie-44, which is the standard resistance blaster. The holster appears to be slightly to the left of the belt buckle, with a single large strap attaching it to the belt. The holster appears to wrap around the blaster in a similar fashion to the small arm band/bracelet that Rey wears. It should be in the same brown leather as the belt.
Of course, this should be an optional requirement since she does not wear the blaster/holster throughout the whole movie.
abigailrising ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kylo Ren wrote:
Quilting: Agree on quilting. Changed in post above.

Fabric: "Jacket is made from a muted natural fiber fabric."

I think just leaving it with a natural fiber fabric is fine. I dont personally care what you use so long as the color is nice.

Backstrap and Princess

back strap was optional and only on the resistance already.
Its not on Connix's costume from what I can see from any reference.
Connix and the other officers do for sure have a princess

Pants
Removed Optional Pant seam. Agree

Boots
tailored some wording on the boots to the following..

"Boots

-Minimal straps are permitted. "

I am very happy with this CRL so far. I agree with all of this and I'm glad this is going so well!!
abigailrising ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenebris wrote:
Rank badge dimentions

3.5 cm x 7cm

Insignia

9cm x 9cm

this is the size you you can see for reference. Excuse my half built pryce......

[/i]

Do you think we should have precise dimensions or regulate it to be relative to the wearer? Because for someone as small as I am, those dimensions might actually look a little large and clunky. Just a thought!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> RL GSC Standards Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: