Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=48a2917dad7a8baba105ae2435499549Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Convention table props
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Freedom Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coryphefish (Corellon J)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first con I organized was 100% me. Nobody else signed up. I wore a Star Wars t-shirt because I didn't even have an approved costume yet. I was acting event captain for my area because the position had been vacant for so long. I had a table runner that I'd bought off of a prolific member in central because he didn't want to do it anymore. For display pieces, I brought my kyber crystal and the rucksack I was going to use for the screen accurate vest hook. It turned out to be a great way to illustrate the fun scavenger hunt of building costumes.

I think the mannequin idea is great, and I appreciate anyone who wants to help table at a con and bring costumes to display. I'll definitely brainstorm easy ways to highlight costume creation at less high-profile tables, but I won't discourage anyone from volunteering cool items.

Better that we turn away props because we have too many costumes than if people don't bring anything because they think their props aren't good enough.

- An individual who did not so much rebel as saunter vaguely hopewards.

2018/19: Commanding Officer, Docking Bay 94 Detachment
2017/18: DXO DB94, BMO Freedom Base
mleech77 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coryphefish wrote:
Better that we turn away props because we have too many costumes than if people don't bring anything because they think their props aren't good enough.

Here here!

That being said, it sounds like from a 3D printing front, people like Eric and I should concentrate on helmets, costume parts (communicators, etc), and blasters for cons that permit them.
Bouri-Plwel (Rick Bouwhuis)
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record....I am not discouraging props being displayed......all I was saying is that should not be the FOCUS of our table displays as they are accessories to the costumes we build.....that is all i was trying to point out...

"It was an honor just to be nominated!"
"Remember - You are UNIQUE....Just like everyone else!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mleech77 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bouri-Plwel wrote:
For the record....I am not discouraging props being displayed......all I was saying is that should not be the FOCUS of our table displays as they are accessories to the costumes we build.....that is all i was trying to point out...

I completely understand and agree with you, so if we can find easy pieces to print out pieces that are parts of costumes it's a win win.
coryphefish (Corellon J)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will re-word the original post more along the lines of "ideally pieces of or accessories for approveable costumes"

coryphefish (Corellon J)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite way to highlight costume making at the booth is to actually make costumes. (At least the parts that are easy to do at the booth.) It's an amazing conversation starter.

"What I am doing is seam ripping these BDU sleeves apart. See how the remaining part of the shirt is a vest now? (Here's a reference photo of the character I'm going for.) Now I can use the sleeve material to make the pockets more accurate. I love creatively modding existing clothing. It's much more fun than making everything from scratch."

"What I am doing is taking this leather needle and waxed twine and making decorative stitches on this boot flap. (Here's the awl I used to make the holes in the first place.) My costume was approved with these pleather flaps, *holds up foot* but I taught myself leatherworking so I could upgrade it and make it look even more accurate. It turned out to be way easy and fun! Next I'll use this piece of steel wool to wear down the finish and make them look lived-in."

Bouri-Plwel (Rick Bouwhuis)
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coryphefish wrote:
My favorite way to highlight costume making at the booth is to actually make costumes. (At least the parts that are easy to do at the booth.) It's an amazing conversation starter.

"What I am doing is seam ripping these BDU sleeves apart. See how the remaining part of the shirt is a vest now? (Here's a reference photo of the character I'm going for.) Now I can use the sleeve material to make the pockets more accurate. I love creatively modding existing clothing. It's much more fun than making everything from scratch."

"What I am doing is taking this leather needle and waxed twine and making decorative stitches on this boot flap. (Here's the awl I used to make the holes in the first place.) My costume was approved with these pleather flaps, *holds up foot* but I taught myself leatherworking so I could upgrade it and make it look even more accurate. It turned out to be way easy and fun! Next I'll use this piece of steel wool to wear down the finish and make them look lived-in."

THIS TOO!!!!!!

"It was an honor just to be nominated!"
"Remember - You are UNIQUE....Just like everyone else!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RakoHardeen ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can provide the following on loan if I am not wearing any of them at the particular Con.

- Edrio Two Tubes Helmet/Head Display (I have a foam head)
- Two Tubes Rifle
- Two Lightsabers, one Kyberlight with lots of accessories so people could "Build a Saber"

Edrio Two Tubes - Approved
Mysterychix ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My one suggestion to Colleen already was that perhaps if we could get some scrap fabric samples from things like the pilot builds, a jawa (I can donate that), and perhaps a wookie -- then we could have folks touch and feel the fabrics to see what they are like -- that way they aren't touching the actual costumes. I'm also thinking this may be helpful on a variety of fronts for people who have disabilities like blindness or who are sensory impaired (i.e. may not want to get close to a character but still want to be a part of it).

deb
coryphefish (Corellon J)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mysterychix wrote:
My one suggestion to Colleen already was that perhaps if we could get some scrap fabric samples from things like the pilot builds, a jawa (I can donate that), and perhaps a wookie -- then we could have folks touch and feel the fabrics to see what they are like -- that way they aren't touching the actual costumes. I'm also thinking this may be helpful on a variety of fronts for people who have disabilities like blindness or who are sensory impaired (i.e. may not want to get close to a character but still want to be a part of it).

deb

Every part of this is perfect and way better than I could have said! I'll start gathering fabric scraps!

coryphefish (Corellon J)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bouri-Plwel wrote:
All anyone coordinating a table display has to do is ASK if anyone has costume they are willing to lend for a display.

Rick, out of everything in this thread, this is the line that really stuck with me these past few months, especially the all caps part, especially with all the understaffed cons coming up across the base. I'm not an event captain, I'm not the convention coordinator, and I don't get asked a lot, but me and my less-than-Air-N-Scare-worthy table items are still scheduled for SIX con weekends in a row starting on the 16th when I take off work to run the KigaCon booth with the only other person who volunteered to help (even though she doesn't have an approved costume yet.)

My original intention when returning to this thread was to specifically ask for more ideas and interest for con #5 because it's especially fascinating and has a lot of potential for out of the box ideas, but then I remembered I'd already done it three days ago in the Facebook group and didn't get much of anything.

So... how do you prefer that we ASK you to participate in a con besides creating the forum event?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Freedom Base All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: