Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=68c11b800e6116c67357fafe21f7f6b5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

My first post - Han Solo OT boots advice please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YunSolo92 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: My first post - Han Solo OT boots advice please! Reply with quote

Hello, Rebel Legion! This is my first post here, and I needed some advice about a Han Solo costume, as the title implies.

I've been a Star Wars fan my entire life, thanks to my parents (both of them!). My favorite character from the OT is, you guessed it, Han Solo! I want to start with the ANH version, but I had some questions to ask about the boots. I've read around on the forums (actually I think I've read almost everything to do with Han), and a lot of people seem to advise using some form of Russian/Soviet or German riding boots. I've come across some on eBay for a great price that will fit me, but I'm unsure if they'll meet Legion requirements. They look like practically the same boots to me, comparing them to old promo shots of Harrison Ford, but I wanted some other, more expert, opinions!

[/url]

In the second photo of Han, you can see what look like pull tabs that seem to match the boots I've found. Obviously I'm not saying I think I've found the original boots they used for Harrison, I just want to meet RL (maybe even formal!) requirements.

Also, the seller says the boots measure approximately 45cm, or 17.7", which, measured from the floor straight up, hit JUST below my knee. So, thoughts/opinions? They'd be appreciated!
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums!!!

The boots are one of the more difficult pieces of the Solo costume, and they can be VERY hit or miss...

The Russian Parade/Jack boots MIGHT work. It really depends a lot on the height of the individual. I started off with a pair of those (because they are a good price, generally); however I was not approved with them and had to replace them.

Two things I notice about the photo you posted: the shaft of the boot does not appear stiff. Han's boot leather is pretty stiff, and the boot should stand up on it's own. It shouldn't "flop" over when it's just sitting on the floor without a foot in it.

Second-the leather on Han's boot is quite smooth. There really shouldn't be any grain in it at all. There appears to be some grain in the leather on the ones you posted here. Also, on Han's boot, the shaft of the boot is quite formed to the shape of the leg. Not sure these would have that look when worn.

What you're really looking for is equestrian riding boots- a pull on style without laces and preferably with out zippers. Depending on your foot size, they're generally available used on eBay for a decent price. Most horse riders are fairly short to medium sized though, so finding them used for a foot size bigger than 10 or 10.5 can be kind of tricky...

All that said, these boots MIGHT work. It would really just depend on how they look and fit on you.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your build!!

"I may not be Han Solo, but I play him in real life."
YunSolo92 ()

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It helps a lot, actually! I appreciate your input! I did have another question for you, Brian. Since I see you're on of the LCJs, and you seem to be one of if not THE resident expert on Han: would you mind at all if I occasionally shoot you a PM with questions about the DL-44 or other costume bits?
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YunSolo92 wrote:
It helps a lot, actually! I appreciate your input! I did have another question for you, Brian. Since I see you're on of the LCJs, and you seem to be one of if not THE resident expert on Han: would you mind at all if I occasionally shoot you a PM with questions about the DL-44 or other costume bits?

Not at all. That's what we're here for!!

"I may not be Han Solo, but I play him in real life."
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hessen Antiques sells a very good pair of equestrian boots that fits the bill nicely. Very popular option for Imperial Officers, too. (same boots)

Todd's Costumes has them as well, although stock is hit and miss.

Neither are cheap solutions, but they're accurate.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todds Costumes site is reflecting they will have them in stock this month. "Expected release date Feb 15 2018".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: