Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9f62c8ac81270437fc02c85462cdb01bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Intelligence Officers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Rogue One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merc_with_a_Bryar (Sam Falco)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:33 am    Post subject: Intelligence Officers Reply with quote

So I initially proposed this in 2016, right around when Rogue One came out, but I had too few resources to draw upon at the time. Since then though, I've had time to look through all the images I could find or snag from the movie itself, and after looking through it all, it seems that there is indeed a standard uniform among the Rebellion Intelligence and Trooper divisions, with rank badges and minor color differences.

This uniform consists of:

1. High-waisted field jacket with mandarin collar, bloodstripes running down the sleeves to a cuff seam just above the wrist, right breast pocket without flap, left breast pocket with flap, rank badge just above right breast pocket, chest greeblie just above left breast pocket. Colors range from coyote brown, to chocolate brown, to navy blue, to olive green.

2. Beige Rebel bib-shirt with flap that folds over the chest at an angle (same as Cassian's shirt). Worn with mandarin-style collar, or folded down collar.

3. Fatigue-style tactical pants, with cargo pockets on the sides, elastic waist and ankles. Color ranges from coyote brown, to navy blue, to chocolate brown, as with the jackets.

These features are common among the officers and operatives gathered at Yavin Base, as well as being part of the uniform worn by the Rebel Troopers on Scarif, beneath their flak vests. Further proof is in the fact that Cassian wears this exact same uniform throughout the film (as you'll see in the pics, the details all match), possesses a flak vest, and when he's on Jedha, switches to the thicker, padded trousers, both of which are seen on some of the Scarif troopers, and uses the same weaponry and equipment seen among the troopers at Scarif.

Essentially, this set of standards would be the same base costume used by both Cassian Andor and the Scarif commandos, albeit with rank badges and individual detailing that varies from person-to-person, such as color schemes and accessories.

If we create a "Generic Intelligence Officer" costume type, then I think since they aren't "face" characters, and there is variations among their outfits in terms of color, accessories and general appearance, it shouldn't be too difficult to write up some standards. The base requirements would come down to:

1. Field jacket w/breast pockets, bloodstrips on sleeves, chest greeblie on right breast, above pocket, rank badge above left breast pocket. Olive green, coyote brown or navy blue in color.

2. Rebel Bib shirt, white or beige in color.

3. Fatigue trousers w/cargo pockets and elastic ankles. Coyote brown or chocolate brown in color.

4. Web belt with rectangular feed-through tension clasp, brown, black or beige in color.

5. Field boots tall enough to cover pants ankles, no laces. Black/brown in color.
OR
Leather boot toppers that conceal laces (Cassian's boots have laces when he removes his topper to retrieve his lockpick). Toppers must match color of boots.

Optional accessories:

1. Accurate flak vest w/chest greeblie, blue or coyote brown in color. If blue, must have a weathered yellow square high on the right breast of vest, just below shoulder seam.

2. Leather gun belt, black in color, slung diagonally from the hip w/leather holster fastened to leg by leather strap. Six cylindrical metal objects (flares) in bullet slots along the back, or side of belt (opposite side of holster).

3. Era-appropriate sidearm blaster (preferably BlasTech A180, or A280 CFE).
OR
Era-appropriate blaster rifle used by Rebellion forces in Rogue One (Preferably A180 in sniper configuration or A280 in service/sniper configuration).

4. Additional accurate belt pouches or accessories (flares, explosives, etc), visual reference required.

Costume notes:

If wearer chooses not to carry a blaster, they cannot wear the flak vest, or additional pouches on belt, as these are strictly "combat" accessories, and thus would not be worn while unarmed.

Weapons carried must be appropriate to officer class. No heavy weaponry such as heavy repeaters, rocket/missile launchers, etc.

Rank cannot be "General" or above, as this requires a different set of clothing articles (alternate color scheme to jacket/ altogether different jacket, etc) not standard to this uniform. Rank badge must reflect this rule.

Below are a series of reference images to support the existence of this class of officers. As you can see, all the members of this class wear the field jacket/trouser look shared by Cassian and the Scarif troopers, and the details and seams all match those in existing standards, albeit with the addition of rank badges, indicating their distinction as officers:

I had initially started this in a thread as a proposed expansion of the RAID Trooper CRL, but overwhelmingly, those in that thread believed that this was deserving of its own set of standards under the Officer class, and I was inclined to agree. Here is a link to that thread:

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=92512

It contains the entire discussion, as well as additional reference images supplied by others.

Member:
Kyle Katarn
Knight of the New Jedi Order
Temple: Stormfront
Captain, Rebellion/New Republic Intelligence
Home Base: Ra Kura (Florida)
TFS (Tom Schobert)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good points and very interesting. How do others feel about this? Please chime in.
Kievan Mereel (Sam Coulson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem we have is that we don't have a full body shot of these intelligence officers wearing the bloodstripe jacket.

For one, we're not exactly sure of the pants. We have conjecture that it would be the same as the comms officer (Tenzigo Weems) or the Rebel Marines, or even High Command, but Cassian has a different pocket configuration than all those. Which would we choose without photo reference?

Same thing for the boots. Cassian has the ski latch whereas pretty much every other Rogue One Rebel has a simpler ankle cuff.

Right now we have to make assumptions and use other costumes to fill in the blanks. Which ones we use would affect the standard.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weems is one reference we can go by for specific details on those BDU's, and Sefla is also an officer, and he wears basically the same reinforced BDU's all the other Marines wear, so the consistency there means that the uniform is the same across the board, differentiated by the rank. Therefor, we can use Weems and Sefla as confirmation references linking the details to the other marines and officers we can see clearly throughout the rest of the movie. This gives us the option for the proposed Intelligence Officers to wear the standard BDU trousers seen on Weems and a few others, OR the BDU's with reinforced knees that Cassian's Marines wear.

In the interest of making sure that we can distinguish between Cassian and generic officers, it would be best to state within the standards that the NON Cassian pants/boots designs you mentioned would be required, that way people can't just use unfinished Cassian costumes to get an Intelligence Officer approval. We can specifically make mention of this restriction in the costume notes for the standards to alleviate potential confusion.

The standards as they are could be very similar to the Scarif Marines, just with rank difference, different options for accessories, and limitations on weapons that can be carried.

Member:
Kyle Katarn
Kievan Mereel (Sam Coulson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have found some of the evidence I was looking for. The female Intel officer standing near Jyn in the war room ends up in the background after everyone disperses. We get a full body shot, which though blurry, helps us confirm a few things:

* No buckles on her boots. Likely the same cuffed boots as the Rebel Marines and Comms officers. I do not believe they are jackboots.

* Pants: Hard to tell details like knee padding or cargo pocket configuration. But we do have color.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thank you for that, it definitely helps! The first thread I did about this in the RAID forum (link above) someone posted a full body shot of Sefla without his flak vest on, and we can see his belt, pants and jacket clearly in it. I'd repost it here but I'm not at home at the moment.

Member:
Kyle Katarn
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The image of Sefla I mentioned and forgot to post:

Member:
Kyle Katarn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Rogue One All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: