Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7aa4065d2c984796c69e7b1985749bc7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

RotJ Mon Mothma - Input Needed for Standard Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> RL GSC Standards Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TFS (Tom Schobert)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS wrote:
Poll is up for GSC member's voting

Do not respond to poll. It was posted prematurely and will be deleted.
Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lipstkadvntr wrote:
"The length of the tunic must be at or just below the knee."

Could this be altered to say "the length of the garment must be at or just below the knee"? Saying "tunic" makes it seem like only the tunic option must be below the knee.

Thank you!

Lipstkadvntr wrote:
Granny-Wan wrote:
Lipstkadvntr wrote:
"The length of the tunic must be at or just below the knee."

Could this be altered to say "the length of the garment must be at or just below the knee"? Saying "tunic" makes it seem like only the tunic option must be below the knee.

Thank you!

How about "outer garment"?

I think that also sounds fine. As long as it is clear it is not just one of the three choices.

Thank you!

PondLife81 wrote:
TFS wrote:
1. Ivory or cream colored tunic, over dress, or poncho made from a soft, natural, textured fabric, with a jewel-neck collar. The fabric should be heavy enough, or be lined, so that the under dress does not show through.

The length of the tunic must be at or just below the knee.

Armholes are formed from the body of the tunic by joining the front and back pieces under the wrist. The sides should be knuckle length before being pulled up to just above the wrist with a large sleeve fold that is tacked down just below the elbow. The sides should not be open exposing the under dress.

5. Appropriately-styled hair shorn above the collar; naturally-occurring hair colors only. A wig may be worn, but should be of a natural, red color.

In the first para it states "overdress, tunic or poncho", the rest of that section the garment is referred to as tunic only. This is very confusing, new readers will continue to question what their options are. I suggest "Outer garment" in the descriptions after the first para to avoid confusion because these are three totally different things.

As well, amending "Armholes are formed from the body of the tunic by joining the front and back pieces under the wrist." We have no evidence of this, and could be cleared up with "Outer garment should be full enough to ensure that inner garment does not show at the sides"

Lastly, we never truly spoke of the hair/wig. But her hair is an auburn not red. This could be avoided by removing the caveat of, "A wig may be worn, but should be of a natural, red color." and just stating" a wig can be worn, in naturally accounting colors." or "A wig can be worn."

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a wig is used, it should match her hair color in the movies. As a redhead, I call her hair red. Wink But we don't want a horrible, bright, fake looking red like some wigs are. Might be best to leave it as "naturally occurring colors", as many other standards have done, and it seems to work.

Quote:
"Outer garment should be full enough to ensure that inner garment does not show at the sides"

Excellent wording![/quote]
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've combined (as best I can) the discussion. Let's set a deadline of Monday, Feb 5 to start the poll. Input needs to be posted here by Sunday night.

Here is what we have so far:

1. Ivory or cream colored tunic, over dress, or poncho made from a soft, natural, textured fabric, with a jewel-neck collar. The fabric should be heavy enough, or be lined, so that the under dress does not show through.

The length of the outer garment must be at or just below the knee.

Armholes are formed from the body of the outer garment by joining the front and back pieces under the wrist. The sides should be knuckle length before being pulled up to just above the wrist with a large sleeve fold that is tacked down just below the elbow. Outer garment should be full enough to ensure that inner garment does not show at the sides

2. Deep brown under dress, made from a soft, natural fabric such as jersey, with a full gathered skirt. The sleeves must be tight fitting and gathered at the wrists. A skirt and shirt is also acceptable.

3. A necklace consisting of two thick dull gray twisted/roped cords, with a round, silver pendant, detailed as it appears in the movie, suspended in the center from four smaller cords twisted together; one a thin grey roped cord, one cream or ivory, one white, and one black or dark brown.

The necklace should be attached at each shoulder and end with the gray cord wrapped around a small, domed object, such as a button, with single strand of the large gray cord around the back of the collar.

4. Flat or low heeled (1 inch/25cm or less) brown shoes or boots. No visible laces, buckles, or zippers, no spike heels.

5. Appropriately-styled hair shorn above the collar; naturally-occurring hair colors only.
Leroni (Leroni)
Suspended Member

Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Smile

i am not native speaker, and as i know the standards should be translated after some time.

Quote:
Armholes are formed from the body of the outer garment by joining the front and back pieces under the wrist. The sides should be knuckle length before being pulled up to just above the wrist with a large sleeve fold that is tacked down just below the elbow. Outer garment should be full enough to ensure that inner garment does not show at the sides

for this part of the costume there is 1 simple name... poncho (i know some dont like this name but it is fact a poncho and nothing else) ... nobody that is not part of this wordfinding-group will understand this text.

there is NO armhole, there is no tacking, there is no joining (tacking) ... there is NO sleeve.....

characteristica of this poncho is that when the arms hang down the parts of the body and the arms are building a straight line.

yours
Leroni
KJO DMerchOr 2015/2016
Wretched Hive DMerchO 2014/2015
Twilek - Saga

Last edited by Leroni (Leroni) on Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do not have definitive proof that it is a poncho. If this standard passes, we will accept ponchos, which we currently do not. And we 'll continue to accept tunics that are not ponchos. I'm not sure how to translate it.
Leroni (Leroni)
Suspended Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry edited and you wrote something in the meantime:

there is NO armhole, there is no tacking, there is no joining (tacking) ... there is NO sleeve.....

how many pictures do we need to make a poncho a poncho .... not a tunic.

we are discussing since last april Marie.
nearly all the pictures that are brought up here you received from me.

i will ask you once again:

if there are sleeves, where is the seam of the sleeve? show me at the pictures where is there a sleeve... when there is an armhole please mark at the pictures where is the armhole, where is the tacking?

i dont care about: "we will accept, but we dont put it to the standard" .. i dont believe.

yours
Leroni

edited once again:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poncho
KJO DMerchOr 2015/2016
Wretched Hive DMerchO 2014/2015
Twilek - Saga

Lipstkadvntr (Cate Broomhead)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granny-Wan wrote:
If a wig is used, it should match her hair color in the movies. As a redhead, I call her hair red. Wink But we don't want a horrible, bright, fake looking red like some wigs are. Might be best to leave it as "naturally occurring colors", as many other standards have done, and it seems to work.

I would agree with naturally occurring colors simply because, as also a redhead, I do not consider her hair ‘red’.

These are the colors in Carolyn’s hair in RTOJ:

These are Genevieve’s colors from Rogue One:

Here are the four next to each other:

The many different shades of ‘red’ out there would be the problem with demanding the wig not just simply be ‘naturally Occurring colors’ or ‘naturally Occurring reds’.

I would also like to echo Leroni and ask again for the proof of sleeves. I have placed several photos in this thread showing clearly that there is not a defined sleeve. We have yet to see any research indicating that it is anything other than a poncho.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lipstkadvntr wrote:

I would agree with naturally occurring colors simply because, as also a redhead, I do not consider her hair ‘red’.

I took the wig part out. Or are you suggesting we ask for naturally occurring reds? Could do that. Smile
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RebelLady wrote:
Awesome! I'm so glad that this is being looked at for updating! I absolutely agree that the overtunic does not have separate sleeves.

These show where there are tacks. Otherwise it would just be a tablecloth. Confused

It will say PONCHO in the standard, but it needs to be tailored so that it isn't just a square of fabric hanging there. These photos show where it is tacked to give it shape and form.
PondLife81 (Christine Evans)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that last input was to be last night (Sunday) and that this may not be put into concideration but I had to note.

I thank you for finally adding these pictures but what you are pointing out is in fact the opposite. If you take a look at the upside down U shaped opening that is the sides of the outer garment. That shape changes in each of the examples above. Which gives proof that there the item sides are free hanging. A tacked garment is more secure and doesn’t shift from shot to shot, this does. The outer garment is hemmed horizontal to the floor ( a fact I wasn’t going to get into here because this is not a build thread). This gives the garment the cassic like shape and the arm openings a conical hang without the addition of a sleeve. That is why it appears as if the side opening points do not extend passed the hem. There is no need for tacks.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll is up: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=93255

Voting will be open until around midnight EST on Sunday.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to vote! Cool Cool Cool Cool
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> RL GSC Standards Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: