Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=228d704377fd72eb1efe3caf66fe2ebcMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

RotJ Mon Mothma - Input Needed for Standard Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> RL GSC Standards Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lipstkadvntr (Cate Broomhead)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mysterychix wrote:

PS -- I would also echo what someone on the FB thread said -- we can't make this an impossible costume to do and we can't be costume snobs about it. At my very first troop EVER after getting it approved (SW Celebration) I was so excited and I was complimenting someone on their costume and their first words to me where pointing out there errors in my costume ("well this is wrong and that is wrong"). I was humiliated. I understand we all want to help each other be better, but to publicly admonish a fellow member for work they had done (and I had hand-done the braiding on the shoulders) made me feel TERRIBLE. A weaker person would have left the RL right then and there -- but I stuck with it and I'm proud to wear the Mon Mothma costume and represent the Rebellion!

This kind of thing is reprehensible. I know my commanding officers (and myself) would be the first to tell our base members to never do this and if they do, they have to answer to command staff. I may be a new member, but this is not what this organization is about nor what it stands for.

That being said, I personally am not trying to make this costume impossible to achieve, just to create a costume standard that is correct to the screen-worn costume. I did extensive research on this costume and my background will simply not allow my eye to unsee something so obvious as a poncho vs a tunic or the colors of the chains of office.
Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These references are great!

I wish we'd had them 10 years ago when everyone thought it was a long white dress... Rolling Eyes

Based on these, I think we should acept either a tunic or poncho, as long as it hangs correctly and covers the underdress.

Either style has the potential to be made with not enough fabric to cover and drape properly. It needs to be heavy, or be lined.

Costume Standards are every changing, that's for sure.

Very Happy
PondLife81 (Christine Evans)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats our next step? Does the detachment need assistance in writing a proposed adaptation to the Standard, so that we can look at it and eventually put it to the vote?

Thank you for guidance.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PondLife81 wrote:
Whats our next step? Does the detachment need assistance in writing a proposed adaptation to the Standard, so that we can look at it and eventually put it to the vote?

Thank you for guidance.

I'm not 100% sure, since the procedure has changed since the last time I did one of these... Rolling Eyes

It needs a write-up and vote, as far as I know. If you want to take a stab at writing it, please do! And anyone can contribute. Once we have a write up, I can check with our DCO and see what comes next.

Cool
RebelLady (Kristina Gundersen)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I'm so glad that this is being looked at for updating! I absolutely agree that the overtunic does not have separate sleeves.

How does this sound?

1. Ivory or cream colored tunic made from a soft, natural fabric, with a jewel-neck collar. The fabric should be heavy enough, or be lined, so that the under dress does not show through.

The length of the tunic must be at or just below the knee.

Armholes are formed from the body of the tunic by joining the front and back pieces under the wrist. The sides should be knuckle length before being pulled up to just above the wrist with a large sleeve fold that is tacked down just below the elbow.

2. Deep brown under dress, made from a soft, natural fabric such as jersey, with a full gathered skirt. The sleeves must be tight fitting and gathered at the wrists. A skirt and shirt is also acceptable.

3. A necklace consisting of two dull gray twisted cords, with a round, silver pendant, detailed as it appears in the movie, suspended from two smaller, twisted cords in the center. The necklace should be attached at each shoulder and end with the gray cord wrapped around a small, domed object, such as a button, with single strand of the large gray cord around the back of the collar.

4. Flat or low heeled (1″ or less) brown shoes or boots. No visible laces, buckles, or zippers, no spike heels.

5. Appropriately-styled hair shorn above the collar; naturally-occurring hair colors only.
Sunrider Base Charity Officer 2016-18
-------------------------------------------------------
Mon Mothma, OT X-Wing Pilot, Willrow Hood, Resistance Officer, General Leia Organa (Raddus Bridge)
Leroni (Leroni)
Suspended Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lipstkadvntr wrote:

For starters, “Ivory or cream colored tunic” is incorrect. My research has shown that it is a poncho with open sides. This screencap:

Shows that the sides of the poncho are intact open which means it would not have sleeves.

The plate that we have from the research book also insicates a poncho with open sides:

The way that the garment drapes also indicates that it is open-sided and has no sleeves.

Next would be the chains of Office or “necklace”. In the photos that I have, it is clear to me that there are gold, white, and black satin chords twisted in with the gray.

The boots, dress, and hair all sound just fine to me in the original standard.

Hope this was helpful!

Absolutly agree!!! it is a poncho.

I think there are 2-3 different chains. the one with gold-white-black, the other one with silver.

yours
Leroni
KJO DMerchOr 2015/2016
Wretched Hive DMerchO 2014/2015
Twilek - Saga

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really looks like three cords in the center, if you look at the close up.

SUGGEST:

3. A necklace consisting of two dull gray twisted cords, with a round, silver pendant, detailed as it appears in the movie, suspended from two three smaller, twisted cords one silver, one gold, one black, in the center.

The necklace should be attached at each shoulder and end with the gray cord wrapped around a small, domed object, such as a button, with single strand of the large gray cord around the back of the collar.
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree on the cords- except I think there are four. (Sorry, I had only edited the the tunic section of the existing standards. My bad!) The one you are calling black is dark brown in my opinion. Maybe just call it dark or give two options? I would also call the two light ones cream/ivory and white. They are a satin rat tail. The fourth cord is a thin light grey roped cord.

Suggest:

3. A necklace consisting of two thick dull gray twisted cords, with a round, silver pendant, detailed as it appears in the movie, suspended in the center from four smaller, twisted cords; one a thin light grey cord, one cream or ivory, one white, and one black or dark brown.

The necklace should be attached at each shoulder and end with the gray cord wrapped around a small, domed object, such as a button, with single strand of the large gray cord around the back of the collar.

So how about this for a standard? Proposed changes to the existing standard are in italics.

1. Ivory or cream colored tunic made from a soft, natural fabric, with a jewel-neck collar. The fabric should be heavy enough, or be lined, so that the under dress does not show through.

Armholes are formed from the body of the tunic by joining the front and back pieces under the wrist. The sides should be knuckle length before being pulled up to just above the wrist with a large sleeve fold that is tacked down just below the elbow.

2. Deep brown under dress, made from a soft, natural fabric such as jersey, with a full gathered skirt. The sleeves must be tight fitting and gathered at the wrists. A skirt and shirt is also acceptable.

3. A necklace consisting of two thick dull gray twisted/roped cords, with a round, silver pendant, detailed as it appears in the movie, suspended in the center from four smaller cords twisted together; one a thin grey roped cord, one cream or ivory, one white, and one black or dark brown.

4. Flat or low heeled (1″ or less) brown shoes or boots. No visible laces, buckles, or zippers, no spike heels.

5. Appropriately-styled hair shorn above the collar; naturally-occurring hair colors only.

Mon Mothma, OT X-Wing Pilot, Willrow Hood, Resistance Officer, General Leia Organa (Raddus Bridge)

Last edited by RebelLady (Kristina Gundersen) on Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a poncho, not a tunic. Smile I suggest changing the wording as tunic is misleading.

I also agree with the comment on mentioning where the chains and medallion should sit on the costumer's body rather than using inches and centimeters.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about calling it an overdress or tunic? The only thing definite is that we don't know definitely. We're all suffering from confirmation bias. Wink (everyone sees what they want to see) and we're not likely to ever know for sure.

Let's not get so speicifc that we have to (1) give sewing instructions; or (2) make it impossible to achieve. The end result is what is important, not how many stitches it takes to get there.

Good description of the necklace cords, so it's one twisted cord and three stain ones? You are right, it most likely is brown, as the under dress is brown. Should we specify satin for the smaller cords? I'm not sure how "rat tail" will translate to other languages, we could say "Rat tail or satin ribbon"

Quote:

1. Ivory or cream colored tunic/overdress made from a soft, natural fabric, with a jewel-neck collar. The fabric should be heavy enough, or be lined, so that the under dress does not show through.

Armholes are formed from the body of the tunic by joining the front and back pieces under the wrist. The sleeves sides should be knuckle length before being pulled up to just above the wrist with a large sleeve fold that is tacked down just below the elbow.

3. A necklace consisting of two thick dull gray twisted/roped cords, with a round, silver pendant, detailed as it appears in the movie, suspended in the center from three smaller cords twisted together; one a thin grey roped cord, one cream or ivory, one white, and one black or dark brown satin cords.

This is great work, ladies, as I said, I wish you'd all been here years ago. Wink I'll get this up for a vote as soon as I get my forum privileges should be today or tomorrow. Shocked
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that satin is more than sufficient. Rattail is what you would ask for in the store, so that was meant more as a sourcing hint. Wink

Two things:

1. Mea Culpa, when pointing out that there were four strands not three, I forgot to change the wording in the standard to four. Oops! I edited my post to be correct.

3. A necklace consisting of two thick dull gray twisted/roped cords, with a round, silver pendant, detailed as it appears in the movie, suspended in the center from four smaller cords twisted together; one a thin grey roped cord, one cream or ivory, one white, and one black or dark brown.

2. The wording for the overdress/tunic/poncho the way you have left it essentially edits it back to the current standard, and does not make it clear that poncho type overtunics are allowed. I think that it is very important for us to be clear that there do not need to be separate sleeves.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm OK with allowing a poncho, but not restricted to that only. I've seen several tunics that look just like the photos. Wr need to make it either-or. Maybe two different descriptions of the sleeves?
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PROPOSAL:

1. Ivory or cream colored tunic, over dress, or poncho made from a soft, natural, textured fabric, with a jewel-neck collar. The fabric should be heavy enough, or be lined, so that the under dress does not show through.

Armholes are formed from the body of the tunic by joining the front and back pieces under the wrist. The sides should be knuckle length before being pulled up to just above the wrist with a large sleeve fold that is tacked down just below the elbow. The sides should not be open exposing the under dress.

4. Flat or low heeled (1 inch/25cm or less) brown shoes or boots. No visible laces, buckles, or zippers, no spike heels.

5. Appropriately-styled hair shorn above the collar; naturally-occurring hair colors only. A wig may be worn, but should be of a natural, red color.
TFS (Tom Schobert)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll is up for GSC member's voting
Lipstkadvntr (Cate Broomhead)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS wrote:
Poll is up for GSC member's voting

Could the link be posted here? I am unable to find the poll. Thank you!

Edit: Nevermind, I have found it. Thank you!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> RL GSC Standards Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: