Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1e09506d5dae7fc71e7315fa53ad4752Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ROTJ Shirt Pattern...it's for something else.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YunSolo92 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: ROTJ Shirt Pattern...it's for something else. Reply with quote

Hello, everyone.

I've searched about as extensively as I can, but to no avail. I'm trying to teach myself to sew so I can make a costume that hasn't been done yet, but to do so I need a pattern for Luke's ROTJ shirt that I can slightly modify. I have looked high and low, but I haven't found anything close to a pattern, just sellers that would charge me more than I could afford, pictures of already completed builds, and blogs that just have pictures with huge jumps in the construction process. The sleeves I could figure out easily, but the mandarin collar and the front bib construction are really throwing me for a loop. Can anyone help me out?
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made mine out of newspaper. I don't know how to use a commercial pattern, but I can make my own usually pretty easily. Just how my brain works? Anyway...the bib is just a slightly off rectangle. Cut one out of paper and try it and adjust it as needed until it looks right out of paper then make it out of cloth. That's how I did mine.

The collar is just a long strip in a rectangular shape with the corners cut just a bit back, if that makes sense.

The way I made my shirt is likely "cheating" but it works. I used a regular men's button down shirt and cut off the collar and made a new one, then just put the bib over the front to hide the buttons.Sewed the bib down on one side, used Velcro to close it on the other. Easy on and off, no big deal. Cut the buttons off the cuffs and put some Velcro in instead for the wrists. Easy peasy. So, I'm no help on a pattern/making it from scratch, but perhaps you don't need to? I'll try to take some pics later.

By the way, I couldn't sew a stitch ten years ago. I taught myself for cosplay. But I still don't know a lot about true creation from nothing, but modifying to look the part? Oh, yeah. I've got that down. Wink
It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

Qui-Gon Jinn, Master and Apprentice, Claudia Gray
YunSolo92 ()

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that will work. Modifying an existing shirt for what I have in mind would get denied pretty quickly. I have a character in mind for the 501st, and he wears a shirt very similar to Luke's but looser fitting.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting a regular shirt pattern with a mandarin collar in the general style would be helpful if you don't know pattern making. Then you only have to worry about the bib. Smile And yes, it's basically a slight trapezoid shape that's sewn on along one side and the bottom edge.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

kman ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YunSolo92 wrote:
I'm not sure that will work. Modifying an existing shirt for what I have in mind would get denied pretty quickly. I have a character in mind for the 501st, and he wears a shirt very similar to Luke's but looser fitting.

Modifying an existing shirt is a pretty common method, even in the 501st. Obviously it has to be done reasonably well. Han/Luke's shirts aren't super complicated, and at their core they are simply regular shirts. Probably need multiple copies of the same shirt to scavenge fabric, unless you can find an exact match.

The nice thing about modifying existing shirts is that sleeves, which are often one of the trickier parts to nail for people who aren't great at sewing, are already attached and perfect. Collars are far easier by comparison.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ I used a black cotton turtle-neck from Wal-Mart LOL. I bought 2 of them. I converted the turtle-neck to a mandarin-collar. and used the spare shirt to create the trapezoid panel for the front (in matching fabric). the bib-lining was made from a light-grey pillow-case. Razz

the costume was approved, but I'm already planning an upgrade. when I re-make the shirt I'll probably just cut up the old one and use the pieces to make the pattern.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
Modifying an existing shirt is a pretty common method, even in the 501st. Obviously it has to be done reasonably well. Han/Luke's shirts aren't super complicated, and at their core they are simply regular shirts. Probably need multiple copies of the same shirt to scavenge fabric, unless you can find an exact match.

The nice thing about modifying existing shirts is that sleeves, which are often one of the trickier parts to nail for people who aren't great at sewing, are already attached and perfect. Collars are far easier by comparison.

This is a pretty great point, actually. But wouldn't I need to color match the pants as well?
YunSolo92 ()

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt-60 wrote:
I converted the turtle-neck to a mandarin-collar.

That's actually the biggest thing I need to do. How did you make a mandarin collar out of a turtleneck, and do you have any pics of that? The shirt I need to make I actually can't tell if there's a bib on it or not (very limited reference material, but just enough that I was given the go-ahead), but it has a mandarin collar and loose fitting sleeves. My concern about modifying an existing shirt is that I'd need pants that are the same color.
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the turtleneck part is basically 2 layers, and about 4 inches tall..

I cut it down to about 1.5 inches, folded those 2 layers in on themselves, and "top-stitched" it.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YunSolo92 wrote:
kman wrote:

This is a pretty great point, actually. But wouldn't I need to color match the pants as well?

I guess it depends on the costume in question? Also depends on how exact a match you need. Might be able to get reasonably close.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, black is black is black is not true, but generally you can get close enough.
It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

Qui-Gon Jinn, Master and Apprentice, Claudia Gray
YunSolo92 ()

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reference is actually pretty limited (the lighting isn't that great), so I guess as long as it's close?
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We might be able to give more specific help if you tell us what costume this is actually for...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: