Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0f4a633ff3353cd1ed8774aac2833650Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Queen Amidala - Parade Gown construction
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of, I just wanted to say it's great seeing you have succeeded with those tips. Very Happy Congratulations!

Secondly, I'll have to think. Hmm, I'd say you need something study in the center of the parasol that the harness straps can be attached to. I think you could get away with a small disc where the wires meet up.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Amidala716 (Grace Croop)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Parade Gown Dress Pattern Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I'm planning to make this dress for RL submission around May this year. However, I'm stuck on what patterns I can use for the base dress. Does anyone have reference images or pattern recommendations?

Thank you and MTFBWY.

-Grace
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm excited that you are making it! This blog by Princess Dee talks about what patterns she uses: http://thelavenderstudio.blogspot.com/2011/05/amadalas-parade-gown.html

I haven't made it before, but it looks like the under dress is fairly simple, so even if that pattern is not available any more, you can probably find something similar.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
accioveronica (Veronica J)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Parade Gown Dress Pattern Reply with quote

Nubian-Jedi wrote:
Hello everyone!

I'm planning to make this dress for RL submission around May this year. However, I'm stuck on what patterns I can use for the base dress. Does anyone have reference images or pattern recommendations?

Thank you and MTFBWY.

-Grace

Hey, Grace!

For the base dress, I actually made a bias-cut dress, just like what was used in the film. It's super simple - no zippers, darts, aesthetic seams, fitting seams, or anything crazy was involved. I literally cut out a front peice and a back piece Smile
I made my pattern from scratch, and draped the top at least to get the correct neckline after cutting and playing with the mock up for a while. My dress is self-lined, and the bottom of each layer has an invisible hem. My dress isn't fully lined (meaning both layers are completely sewn together, like what we see with Senatorial Leia), and instead I left the bottom hem gap open. Hopefully that makes sense!
Tatooine Peasant Padmé (TPM)
Padmé's Hospital Gown (ROTS)
Queen Amidala's Parade Gown (TPM)
Amidala716 (Grace Croop)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Parade Gown "Umbrella" piece Reply with quote

Hello!

I'm about 75% done with the overall costume, all that's left are the wig, shoes and the "umbrella" piece in the back of the costume. What size would be recommended for it? For reference, I am 5'0 in height. Thank you!
accioveronica (Veronica J)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Parade Gown "Umbrella" piece Reply with quote

Nubian-Jedi wrote:
Hello!

I'm about 75% done with the overall costume, all that's left are the wig, shoes and the "umbrella" piece in the back of the costume. What size would be recommended for it? For reference, I am 5'0 in height. Thank you!

Hi Grace, that's so great to hear! I can't wait to see it Smile For the parasol, I made it into an oval and basically used the front, back, and side pictures I sourced from Padawan's Guide. I used these as a reference, and I proportioned out my work by comparing the pictures to myself. What helps me immensely are side-by-side photos of myself and the original to ensure correct dimensions. In the original photos, I really only referenced the bottom half of the parasol since it was the only piece laying flat (the top half is sort of bent backwards).

By looking at the front, I drew a line across half the oval (this is the smallest diameter of the oval, since the "longer" diameter of the oval is running top to bottom). I made sure to align the center of the parasol to myself where it aligns on Natalie, which is at the nape of the neck. Additionally, the ends reach out just past her entire body width:

I also drew this to emphasize that the edges of the diameter width wise is just longer than her body width:

Then, this should approximately be 1/2 of the length proportionally on Natalie, which starts at the center and ends just around her mid-upper back :

TL,DR: it's basically an oval shape where the diameter across is the shortest and the diameter top to bottom is the longest. The center of the parasol aligns at the nape of the neck. Side to side, the diameter should reach just outside your body width, and from middle-to bottom radius, it should reach somewhere on your mid-to-upper back. I hope I didn't make this too confusing! It's really hard to measure out mathematically since all of our bodies/heights are different, so I hope this helps!
Tatooine Peasant Padmé (TPM)
Padmé's Hospital Gown (ROTS)
Queen Amidala's Parade Gown (TPM)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: