Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=45cd3e115c5dc00da5758f8fdab76ec8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Poe Dameron-TLJ-jacket and pants standard discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> RL GSC Standards Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainTightpantsCosplay ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I used the exact same "pellets" for my cassian as well.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeniwan wrote:

So I guess i'm team "waxed cotton, probably denim" now, instead of team leather, though I do agree a very thin leather like lambskin would probably look good.

My only issue in saying that it is waxed denim, it that with denims, the twill weaving produces a diagonal ribbing that would still be visible after waxing. I know this because I tested both denim and twill and ruled them out as the diagonal weave was still visible, much like the box weave of the canvas.
BroadSword (Marcus)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainTightpantsCosplay wrote:
jeniwan wrote:

So I guess i'm team "waxed cotton, probably denim" now, instead of team leather, though I do agree a very thin leather like lambskin would probably look good.

My only issue in saying that it is waxed denim, it that with denims, the twill weaving produces a diagonal ribbing that would still be visible after waxing. I know this because I tested both denim and twill and ruled them out as the diagonal weave was still visible, much like the box weave of the canvas.

I pulled the trigger on a Magnoli waxed cotton jacket. Unless someone gets one prior to me, I'll post up pics of the final product when it arrives, but that will be a while.
marishka (Miranda Brenner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm crazy but on my second viewing I swear that Poe's pants had a riding seam similar to Han's ESB pants.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure that would match the style of the pants, but I'd love to see some photos of the back of the costume regardless!
marishka wrote:
Maybe I'm crazy but on my second viewing I swear that Poe's pants had a riding seam similar to Han's ESB pants.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do, I'd love to see that version!
BroadSword wrote:
jeniwan wrote:

I pulled the trigger on a Magnoli waxed cotton jacket. Unless someone gets one prior to me, I'll post up pics of the final product when it arrives, but that will be a while.
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish to thank all of you who have taken the time to research your costumes AND most importantly, have shared what you have found with others.

Unfortunately at this time, there is no image of the back of this costume that is required by the Charter to be approved.

I am guessing that any approvals will have to wait until the movie comes out on DVD and hopefully there will be some kind of screen capture of the back of the costume.

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the movie three times as of now, and unfortunately we do not see the back of the full costume. You barely get a full view of the jacket above the waist and a lot of it is obscured by shadow. we don't actually see the back of the pants and certainly not the back of the pants obscured by the jacket. What if a clear back shot does not surface, are we dealing with an unapprovable costume?

Schph Gochi wrote:
I wish to thank all of you who have taken the time to research your costumes AND most importantly, have shared what you have found with others.

Unfortunately at this time, there is no image of the back of this costume that is required by the Charter to be approved.

I am guessing that any approvals will have to wait until the movie comes out on DVD and hopefully there will be some kind of screen capture of the back of the costume.
crema ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the movie three times as of now, and unfortunately we do not see the back of the full costume. You barely get a full view of the jacket above the waist and a lot of it is obscured by shadow. we don't actually see the back of the pants and certainly not the back of the pants obscured by the jacket. What if a clear back shot does not surface, are we dealing with an unapprovable costume?

[

Wait, but there are costumes with just a few seconds of screen time but still approvable. Am I just imagining things...?
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where it is true that there are some costumes that have been approved without adequate back images....

some of those costume approvals were prior to changes in the club charter..
some were approved by judges who are no longer judging

and some were approved with good intent.

That being said, there are some members/message board members who get quite vocal about certain things and we judges have been accused of having uneven evaluations and comments. Those vocal concern stems from a lot of things being taken for granted, assumed, or interpreted in a wrong way...
I am guilty of approving some costumes without proper documentation as well and have been taken to task for it.

That being said, I am inclined to follow the rules of the Charter to the letter at this point.

On this costume alone, I had multiple other applicants and all of them had their own ideas about the back of the costume. So, whose version am I to think is correct? Where there are some who feel that some of the small details like back seams on the jacket, pockets on the back of the pants are not important, there are others that will argue that they are. Who is correct?

I have my own ideas about these things, but my thoughts are no more valid than anyone else's thoughts on the matter.

At this time, I have denied all applications for this character that were currently in the queue.

I am hoping that when the movie comes out on DVD/Bluray that something can be found with (at least) the back of the pants.

Merc_with_a_Bryar (Sam Falco)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would argue that because a view of the back simply does not exist in full, then other LFL sources such as the action figure should be considered correct for what would be approvable. It says in the charter that licensed material is legit, action figures are licensed, and provide us with a way to view the back of the costume, therefor that fulfills the charter requirements. Obviously action figures aren't as detailed as the actual costume, but because they are directly licensed, designed, and made to be representative of the costume in question, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be considered a reliable source, especially since there isn't anything else available. If, down the line, some new source appears (new behind the scenes images, the next film, etc) that contradicts the legitimate sources we currently have, then the costume standards would easily be able to be amended to reflect that. In the meantime though, I don't think it would be fair to prevent standards for such a major character from being approved just because the single film source in existence doesn't show such tiny details, while we have easily viewable sources at our disposal, and very detailed views of the major components of the costume.

Member:
Ra Kura Base (Florida)
Stormfront Temple
Rebel Legion Knights of the Jedi Order
Galactic Stategic Command
Active Legion Member

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Action figures have never been taken as accurate source material as far back as I can remember. Even though they are licensed material, their accuracy is generally never considered reliable and I have personally been bitten in the butt starting a costume from an action figure (even the large 12" and Sideshow versions) on more than one occasion.

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely understand this. There are often a lot of inaccuracies in figure sculpts. However, i would add that they can provide a resource for guidance where no other visual evidence is present. Specifically, where details are consistent across multiple figure sculpts.

Schph Gochi wrote:
Action figures have never been taken as accurate source material as far back as I can remember. Even though they are licensed material, their accuracy is generally never considered reliable and I have personally been bitten in the butt starting a costume from an action figure (even the large 12" and Sideshow versions) on more than one occasion.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more shots

Not quite a full view of the back of the jacket, but enough to see the center seam.

and a bonus shot

BroadSword (Marcus)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more shots

Not quite a full view of the back of the jacket, but enough to see the center seam.

and a bonus shot

Lighting can do all sort of things, but in that last shot, his jacket does not have a leathery sheen to it.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> RL GSC Standards Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: