Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=60e84514aefd138906870fb2e56424dbMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Poe Dameron-TLJ-jacket and pants standard discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> RL GSC Standards Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crema wrote:
When I saw the picture in visual dictionary closer, it seems like it has some sort of weave that leathers can't have. It's definitely tighter weave than duck canvas, or any canvas.
I compared it to other home-waxed clothing and bags and it definitely matches with thinner(than most canvas but thicker than jersey) cotton fabric waxed after being sewn.
I'm quite sure that the jacket won't have those folds and movements seen in the movie if it was made out of leather.

I agree -

I am also looking at the pants...so far in most of the photos/screen captures, the pants really look very brown....
I have noted this not only in Poe's pants...but also some of the other characters like Kaydel...

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After pouring over references and getting my copy of the Visual Dictionary from TLJ...

I am inclined to say at this point that where I understand the "olive brown" of the pants, the two applications for this costume that I currently have in the queue render the pants too green.

I would be inclined to say that pants should be dark brown but can have a dark olive cast....

I don't want other applicants to think that a light brown would work, but at the same time...not olive drab either....

dunno how else to describe...

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
crema ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shade darker than the boots, and less red than both jacket and boots? More of a cooler brown but still not olive....
It’s quite similar to the color of the soles with dirt all over them but since it would vary from each costume’s level of weathering.... hmm
Kein Whuf (Kevin Peters)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crema wrote:
When I saw the picture in visual dictionary closer, it seems like it has some sort of weave that leathers can't have. It's definitely tighter weave than duck canvas, or any canvas.
I compared it to other home-waxed clothing and bags and it definitely matches with thinner(than most canvas but thicker than jersey) cotton fabric waxed after being sewn.
I'm quite sure that the jacket won't have those folds and movements seen in the movie if it was made out of leather.

Haven't seen the VD yet as it was marked as purchased as a Christmas gift on my Amazon wish list and we have not seen all the family 2nd Christmas next weekend! Anyway, I say that to say I can not speak to the weave that is seen in it. but, does the picture in post 5 represent that picture? Because some of what looks like it would be a pattern in the jacket is also visible in his face in the picture in post 5. I ask cause I don't see that same pattern in the figure A and B pics.

Thank you for the information here. I will make a few tweaks to my pending submittal.

That being said in regards to the jacket. I have an old leather bomber jacket that was my Dad's. It is from the late 50's era. I include these pictures to show the different patterns and sheen that can be in even the same type of leather. I have recently been doing more leather work and have spent time at our local Tandy. While I agree that it may not be leather, I am not ready to close the door on it. Some of the thin jacket leathers I am quite sure could have some of the same movements and looks especially given the jacket is a little longer than waist length. Just my thoughts.

[url][/url][url][/url]

RebelMando
Kein Whuf (Kevin Peters)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so wish this post had been listed 2-3 weeks earlier!! Thank you all for the information.

RebelMando
LastMaxStanding ()

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Poe Dameron-TLJ-jacket and pants standard discussion Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:

6. There upper part of the holster features three loops in tan to natural cotton canvas webbing with three “energy pellet” greeblies, just below the beltline. Fig B. I

Does anyone have good reference— or ideas as to what the "pellets" look like/are made from?

I was kinda thinking they looked like parts from a spark plug— but not the least bit certain about that.
BroadSword (Marcus)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Poe Dameron-TLJ-jacket and pants standard discussion Reply with quote

LastMaxStanding wrote:
Schph Gochi wrote:

6. There upper part of the holster features three loops in tan to natural cotton canvas webbing with three “energy pellet” greeblies, just below the beltline. Fig B. I

Does anyone have good reference— or ideas as to what the "pellets" look like/are made from?

I was kinda thinking they looked like parts from a spark plug— but not the least bit certain about that.

They strike me as air hose connectors.
LastMaxStanding ()

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Poe Dameron-TLJ-jacket and pants standard discussion Reply with quote

BroadSword wrote:

I think you might be right! And even if they're not— could very possibly work anyway.

Guess it's time for a trip to Home Depot!

Thanks.
Kein Whuf (Kevin Peters)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Poe Dameron-TLJ-jacket and pants standard discussion Reply with quote

BroadSword wrote:
LastMaxStanding wrote:
Schph Gochi wrote:

That is what I have used. I tried to go by the markings just under his fingers and found some air hose connectors/adapters that were close.

RebelMando
jeniwan (Jenna Hunt)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Poe Dameron-TLJ-jacket and pants standard discussion Reply with quote

Kein Whuf wrote:
BroadSword wrote:
LastMaxStanding wrote:
Schph Gochi wrote:

That is what I have used. I tried to go by the markings just under his fingers and found some air hose connectors/adapters that were close.

Yes, air hose barb connectors are what were IDed for Cassian and these look really similar. There are a couple of 3D printers who are making these now on Etsy. We found the prints were a lot easier to wear (on Cassian, wearing 8 metal things around your waist is a good way to get your pants to fall down!)
Great Lakes Base -- Rey (Resistance, Jakku, TLJ and Training) Jyn Erso
Oh and that one time I made a wookiee: www.instagram.com/latch_wooking
jeniwan (Jenna Hunt)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainTightpantsCosplay wrote:
I agree with this approach. I have found the same things re: waxed cotton that you outline above, but too, cannot fully discount the possibility that it is some kind of very, very, thin leather.

Why are the Poe costumes never on display?!

BroadSword wrote:
CaptainTightpantsCosplay wrote:
I just caught this detail. I actually agree that it should not be a waxed canvas. I would stipulate that it would need to be a tightly woven waxed or coated cotton, like a plain weave tightly woven broadcloth. The box-weave of most canvas would be way too visible!

jeniwan wrote:
I think the jacket should be leather or leather-like, rather than waxed canvas.

This may be a situation where cotton or leather is acceptable until such time that the screen used jacket material is positively identified. I lean towards the coated/wax cotton myself due to the thickness and the sheen of the jacket at this point. I draw my conclusions based on my experience with waxing cotton for Kylo Ren. It has a different sheen than leather.

That said... a thin distressed leather cannot be totally ruled out. I would say that the top stitching is easily identified in the Visual Dictionary and Vanity Fare pictures.

I just watched TLJ again twice on IMAX and intentionally sat close so I could stare at this stupid jacket. The first viewing, I walked out convinced it was a very thin leather, like lambskin. The second time, particularly during the battle of Crait when you see it under natural sunlight, it did not seem to be leather at all. I asked my watching companion what she thought it was made of (without telling her this was under debate at all) and she immediately said "waxed denim or something similar, like my husband's Carhart jacket."

I did some Google Image Search for brown waxed denim, and found a couple of items that seem to be a perfect match in terms of fabric.
Here's a coat:
(Source here: https://www.polyvore.com/zara_waxed_denim_jacket/thing?id=88412685)
And here's some pants:

So I guess i'm team "waxed cotton, probably denim" now, instead of team leather, though I do agree a very thin leather like lambskin would probably look good.
LastMaxStanding ()

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Poe Dameron-TLJ-jacket and pants standard discussion Reply with quote

jeniwan wrote:

Yes, air hose barb connectors are what were IDed for Cassian and these look really similar. There are a couple of 3D printers who are making these now on Etsy. We found the prints were a lot easier to wear (on Cassian, wearing 8 metal things around your waist is a good way to get your pants to fall down!)

Do you have links to any of those sellers on Etsy? Or proper search terms? I've looked before and not been able to find anything.

Thank you!
jeniwan (Jenna Hunt)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Poe Dameron-TLJ-jacket and pants standard discussion Reply with quote

LastMaxStanding wrote:
jeniwan wrote:

Do you have links to any of those sellers on Etsy? Or proper search terms? I've looked before and not been able to find anything.

Thank you!

These look like the ones we used for Cassian: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-Line-Hose-Connector-Fittings-PCL-Quick-Release-to-Small-Hose-Barb-5pk-FT00/121840246409?hash=item1c5e3e9e89:g:TOIAAOSwIhxZY3fr

They are easy to find in the UK, but no luck in the US hardward stores so far. For 3D prints, we got ours from TraywickDesign on Etsy. They don't currently have them listed it looks like, but I just PMed and asked if they could make some "Cassian bullets" and sent a picture and they did, turned out well.

Here are a few pics from my husband's Cassian WIP. (Again, these are for Cassian, not Poe, but it seems like they are very similar):

The metal air hose barbs:

The 3D printed versions:

And what they looked like on the belt:

I think either version looked fine for Cassian and would (probably) work for Poe too.
LastMaxStanding ()

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Poe Dameron-TLJ-jacket and pants standard discussion Reply with quote

jeniwan wrote:
LastMaxStanding wrote:
jeniwan wrote:

Thank you!

These look like the ones we used for Cassian: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-Line-Hose-Connector-Fittings-PCL-Quick-Release-to-Small-Hose-Barb-5pk-FT00/121840246409?hash=item1c5e3e9e89:g:TOIAAOSwIhxZY3fr

They are easy to find in the UK, but no luck in the US hardward stores so far. For 3D prints, we got ours from TraywickDesign on Etsy. They don't currently have them listed it looks like, but I just PMed and asked if they could make some "Cassian bullets" and sent a picture and they did, turned out well.

Here are a few pics from my husband's Cassian WIP. (Again, these are for Cassian, not Poe, but it seems like they are very similar):

The metal air hose barbs:

The 3D printed versions:

And what they looked like on the belt:

I think either version looked fine for Cassian and would (probably) work for Poe too.

This is very helpful— thank you!
LastMaxStanding ()

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Poe Dameron-TLJ-jacket and pants standard discussion Reply with quote

jeniwan wrote:

This is very helpful! Thanks very much!!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> RL GSC Standards Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: