Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9317f48c2ef5576caa9d2ea92cf7000dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Amilyn Holdo costume standards discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> RL GSC Standards Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeneyre ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the larger versions of my comparison photos -

Outside:

Vice Admiral Holdo Color Comparison by Jen Eyre, on Flickr

Inside:

Inside with a swatch of the rayon I like the drape of (and will be attempting to dye)

Bathroom:

Outside on a cloudless day:

Instagram and Twitter: @JenEyreCosplay
www.JenEyre.com
https://www.facebook.com/JenEyreCosplay/
jeneyre ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jedibarriss wrote:
I saw the movie again the fourth time and the back of neck collar piece has flat panels flanking the zipper. They are holding the gathering of the fabric that drapes around the front. That allows the fabric attached to the zipper be flat

I agree about the nail polish being optional.

Should it be included that the left draping is on top of the hood on the left side and is a few inches longer than the dress?

Thanks for clarifying this.

I included the flat panels on my mockup so I KNEW they were supposed to be there. . .but somehow forgot about their existence when looking at the written description!! Good catch!

Instagram and Twitter: @JenEyreCosplay
www.JenEyre.com
https://www.facebook.com/JenEyreCosplay/
DianaQuake ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, jumping in on this discussion.

Looking at all the fabric swatches I've collected, all of the Puce colors seem way too dark to me. I seem to be having better luck with brown/mauve mixes. Is the consensus that we're leaning more towards the brown color with purple undertones?

I'm looking at Pantone 7639 C, or 7615 U...
Lipstkadvntr (Cate Broomhead)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my fabric. Both of these photos were taken in natural light with my cell phone.

When I get this fabric wet it turns eggplant which is exactly what puce does. Even in the same light with the same camera, it changes color. It may look too dark in person, but on camera it will change.

I very highly recommend that you take photos of any fabrics you might find that you like and see what your camera does. Swatch if you can and take it into natural light. I did this and it is why I ended on the fabric I did.
jedibarriss (Teresa Becker)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The color is so variable based on lighting that it might help to list a few optional colors in the mauve, lavender brown, and other colors that would be accepted. How a color photographs and how it looks in natural light versus other indoor lights can make a big difference. At least with some colors listed that are acceptable it gives more of a guideline.

right shoulder by Teresa Becker, on Flickr

There is cowling in the front of this dress that should be included. In another view of it, you see it goes further down the front.

This also shows that the sleeves have folds.

holdo3 by Teresa Becker, on Flickr
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Color has always been the nemesis of so many costumes and this one is particularly vexing....

I don't know how better to describe it other than in the range of puce...

the only thing I can think of is to put some caveats in the statement of color of the fabric....

Also, thank you for the drawing of that panel on the left side.....
where I do agree that we live in the real world and have to walk around, I do feel that the panel should be there....for the sake of walking around and things like escalators etc...it could state that it can end an inch or so above the floor...

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an idea: mention colors that are definitely not acceptable.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this in the color range

pucelavender by Teresa Becker, on Flickr

I am playing with the hood but the shape is not correct as it needs 10 + folds increasing in size from top to bottom.
Active Legion Member

Paris Support Badge (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jedibarriss wrote:
is this in the color range

pucelavender by Teresa Becker, on Flickr

No, that does not appear to be in the color range unless it just appears that purple due to lighting....

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... it is a scrap piece of fabric I had and was playing with draping the 'hood'

What are folks using for the shape of the hood to drape? I have tried different shapes including rectangles but can't seem to get the same layers of ten .
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a diagram for that!

This shape with cartridge pleating is your friend. Smile

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Celestia Delegation Leader
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahaha.. I was thinking trapezoid but then told myself this would not get the roundness at the bottom...

awesome... I will try this... thanks.
Active Legion Member

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I am getting costume applications for this costume, I need to move this forward. There is no two ways about it, the fabric color is going to be a nightmare.

Dress:
Made from a puce colored jersey or stretch fabric with exceptional draping quality. The fabric should stay in the color range of puce that appears brown but during movement can shift in puce color range to a muted purple (see Pantone 19-1518). The dress should have a neck piece that allows for both collarbones to show. The neck piece should have a hidden zipper in the back and be very tight at the neck and then drape down to the front of the dress. The back should have an oversized hood that should be long enough to go past the buttocks. The dress must have a center seam in the back. The dress must also have a singular panel that goes from the left shoulder to the floor but no higher than about an inch above the floor. The panel should be a width proportional to the dress and to the wearer's build.

Shoes/boots:

Boots should be at least over the ankle and be covered in the same/similar fabric and color as the dress. The toe of the boot should be slightly rounded and a conservative/chunky heel.

Hair:
Hair should be styled as seen on screen and in reference photos. Color should be muted purple in color. Applicant can use either a wig or can color and style their own hair.

Jewelry/Accessories:
Jewelry should match the look and feel of screen used items.
Applicant must have the silver semi circular "tiara" at the back of the hair as seen on screen.
Applicant must have two silver cuff bracelets with angular cut outs and should be approx. 5" long.
Applicant must have silver earrings that are semi circular at the ear with small light purple stones that dangle from the bottom.
Applicant can have one or both of the rings. One is oval, gold, and has a pink-ish stone and the other is round, silver, with opalescent stones.
Close ups of jewelry and accessories can be viewed on page 40 of the Visual Dictionary from "The Last Jedi".

Optional:

DDC Defender 5 blaster
nail polish to match screen color

Lady Sky ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154815200@N02/shares/U8RxGu

I have found a very cute ring. I wish that it will be ok for the validation ^^

If i found how to do the back drap shape. I will try JediDWH diagram Smile
TFS (Tom Schobert)
Active Legion Member

Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:
Since I am getting costume applications for this costume, I need to move this forward. There is no two ways about it, the fabric color is going to be a nightmare.

Dress:
Made from a puce colored jersey or stretch fabric with exceptional draping quality. The fabric should stay in the color range of puce that appears brown but during movement can shift in puce color range to a muted purple (see Pantone 19-1518). The dress should have a neck piece that allows for both collarbones to show. The neck piece should have a hidden zipper in the back and be very tight at the neck and then drape down to the front of the dress. The back should have an oversized hood that should be long enough to go past the buttocks. The dress must have a center seam in the back. The dress must also have a singular panel that goes from the left shoulder to the floor but no higher than about an inch above the floor. The panel should be a width proportional to the dress and to the wearer's build.

Shoes/boots:

Boots should be at least over the ankle and be covered in the same/similar fabric and color as the dress. The toe of the boot should be slightly rounded and a conservative/chunky heel.

Hair:
Hair should be styled as seen on screen and in reference photos. Color should be muted purple in color. Applicant can use either a wig or can color and style their own hair.

Jewelry/Accessories:
Jewelry should match the look and feel of screen used items.
Applicant must have the silver semi circular "tiara" at the back of the hair as seen on screen.
Applicant must have two silver cuff bracelets with angular cut outs and should be approx. 5" long.
Applicant must have silver earrings that are semi circular at the ear with small light purple stones that dangle from the bottom.
Applicant can have one or both of the rings. One is oval, gold, and has a pink-ish stone and the other is round, silver, with opalescent stones.
Close ups of jewelry and accessories can be viewed on page 40 of the Visual Dictionary from "The Last Jedi".

Optional:

DDC Defender 5 blaster
nail polish to match screen color

Ready to put this to a vote?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> RL GSC Standards Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: