Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c8565bde11e4404740bbeec8e1be25daMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Amilyn Holdo costume standards discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> RL GSC Standards Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jedibarriss (Teresa Becker)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I agree about the draping being on top of the hood but the lack of seam shown is clear so how is it attached?
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
Paris Support Badge (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

again I want to thank each and everyone of you who has contributed some great information on this....

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should also include the color of the nail polish in this standard. Images with the standard really help people get it more correct to screen accurate.
silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that my opinion weighs much, but I think the nail polish ought to be optional. As in it's more accurate, but not completely necessary. I do not think people who see this character are going to wonder over the nails as much as they do the overall costume effect.
Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silvermitt wrote:
Not that my opinion weighs much, but I think the nail polish ought to be optional. As in it's more accurate, but not completely necessary. I do not think people who see this character are going to wonder over the nails as much as they do the overall costume effect.

I agree, and some people cannot wear nail polish. We should say "If you're wearing nail polish, it should be this color".
Lipstkadvntr (Cate Broomhead)
Active Legion Member

2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the nail polish should be optional, but should be like the ‘gunmetal’ color that it is in the film if worn.
Paskal ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find the exact same cuffs on Aliexpress and in silver color.
I actually purchased them in gold color 2 years ago.
At this price it doesn't worth to bother with 3d printing Wink
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-Big-Surface-Width-Woman-Cuff-Bangles-Bracelets-Cool-18K-Gold-Plated-Exagerated-EU-Style-For/32740691216.html
4th in the list.
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lipstkadvntr wrote:
I agree the nail polish should be optional, but should be like the ‘gunmetal’ color that it is in the film if worn.

added as optional item...

Ok....it looks like this is just about complete.

Please review updated version of costume standard and advise if something is missing or can be described in a better manner:

Dress:
Made from a puce colored jersey or stretch fabric with exceptional draping quality. The fabric should stay in the color range of puce that appears brown but during movement can shift in puce color range to a muted purple (see Pantone 19-1518). The dress should have a neck piece that allows for both collarbones to show. The neck piece should have a hidden zipper in the back and be very tight at the neck and then drape down to the front of the dress. The back should have an oversized hood that should be long enough to go past the buttocks. The dress must have a center seam in the back. The dress must also have a singular panel that goes from the left shoulder to the floor in proportion to the dress.

Shoes/boots:

Boots should be at least over the ankle and be covered in the same/similar fabric and color as the dress. The toe of the boot should be slightly rounded and a conservative/chunky heel.

Hair:
Hair should be styled as seen on screen and in reference photos. Color should be muted purple in color. Applicant can use either a wig or can color and style their own hair.

Jewelry/Accessories:
Jewelry should match the look and feel of screen used items.
Applicant must have the silver semi circular "tiara" at the back of the hair as seen on screen.
Applicant must have two silver cuff bracelets with angular cut outs and should be approx. 5" long.
Applicant must have silver earrings that are semi circular at the ear with small light purple stones that dangle from the bottom.
Applicant can have one or both of the rings. One is oval, gold, and has a pink-ish stone and the other is round, silver, with opalescent stones.
Close ups of jewelry and accessories can be viewed on page 40 of the Visual Dictionary from "The Last Jedi".

Optional:

DDC Defender 5 blaster
nail polish to match screen color

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the movie again the fourth time and the back of neck collar piece has flat panels flanking the zipper. They are holding the gathering of the fabric that drapes around the front. That allows the fabric attached to the zipper be flat

I agree about the nail polish being optional.

Should it be included that the left draping is on top of the hood on the left side and is a few inches longer than the dress?

Thanks for clarifying this.
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we going to require the train, or at least mention it in the description? Strictly speaking the dress should have one but I can also see making it optional mostly because most of what we do makes the train wildly impractical.

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Celestia Delegation Leader
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediDWH wrote:
Are we going to require the train, or at least mention it in the description? Strictly speaking the dress should have one but I can also see making it optional mostly because most of what we do makes the train wildly impractical.

Ceremonial Leia is not required to have the train and, frankly, I'm agreeing that, with what we do and the nature of conventions, we are more likely to be stepped on with a train. I would say it would be optional.
Postedby_RA (Rosalie van Beek)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They (disney) has recently released a new image of Holdo standing before the Rebels..

(Pic) https://scontent.fapa1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/26198518_10109482975073868_8341426722421225493_o.jpg?oh=efffc0b46bbf458e7db4d665c65192e7&oe=5AF0A1D2

I don’t see a seam on the back?

Also the ‘cape’ thingie on the left shoulder appears to be sewed a bit over the waterfall ‘cape’ if you ask me.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Postedby_RA wrote:
They (disney) has recently released a new image of Holdo standing before the Rebels..

(Pic) https://scontent.fapa1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/26198518_10109482975073868_8341426722421225493_o.jpg?oh=efffc0b46bbf458e7db4d665c65192e7&oe=5AF0A1D2

I don’t see a seam on the back?

Also the ‘cape’ thingie on the left shoulder appears to be sewed a bit over the waterfall ‘cape’ if you ask me.

Vanity Fair would not have photoshopped a back seam into the dress. However, I think this is the backseam. Cameras, even digital ones, moire patterns, seamlines, wig lace, makeup techniques, etc.

The drape on the left shoulder is most definitely on top of the hood.
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't see the back seam because it's too low-res. You can very clearly see it in the Vanity Fair shot:

https://milnersblog.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/star-wars-the-last-jedi-vanity-fair-photo-shoot-by-annie-leibovitz-hi-res-hd-images-laura-dern-as-vice-admiral-amilyn-holdo.jpg

Also, here's a diagram of more or less how I did the two parts of the back drape. The bottom part is the rounded drape/cape/hood/fall whatever we're calling it, and the top part is the single piece of fabric (I did a simple rectangle), gathered and then embedded within the pleats of the bottom piece- they fit together beautifully.

Apologies for the non-fancy drawing, this is just a quick and dirty sketch, heh.

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Celestia Delegation Leader
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
jeneyre ()
Alderaan Base CO
Alderaan Base CO

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wary of the Pantone puce description. The low should hopefully be a link to the Flickr picture where I have four different
Photos of the dress in the visual dictionary, a Swatch of fabric someone is using to make the dress in the Facebook group, and a page from the Dharma Trading Company dye catalog.

puce is significantly darker than the dress. If someone goes for something and puce, at least the puce that Pantone has decided on, they're going to be very disappointed because it will be way too dark. I think in one of my pictures, which are taken in two different indoor lighting typee, and two outside in daylight, the Pantone puce Swatch doesn't look that much darker. But if the actual garment is that dark, that means the dress was washed out by tons of light or certain types of light and basically all the other shots we've seen of it.

https://flic.kr/p/225vqij

I'm posting this from my phone so I'll try to embed a picture tomorrow
Avatar photo by https://www.robbins-studios.com/
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> RL GSC Standards Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: