Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f4a5bffc6c3b25e71f604cb4ecb98a1eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Amilyn Holdo costume standards discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> RL GSC Standards Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TFS (Tom Schobert)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this now finished?
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 4)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS wrote:
Is this now finished?

I am waiting for some additional comments on this:

Schph Gochi wrote:
OK....

so far I have:

Dress: Made from a puce colored jersey or stretch fabric with exceptional draping quality. The fabric should stay in the color range of puce that appears brown but during movement can shift in puce color range to a muted purple (see Pantone 19-1518). The dress should have a neck piece that allows for both collarbones to show. The neck piece should have a hidden zipper in the back and be very tight at the neck and then drape down to the front of the dress. The back should have an oversized hood that should be long enough to go past the buttocks. The dress should also have a singular panel that goes from the left shoulder to the floor in proportion to the dress.

Shoes/boots: Boots should be at least over the ankle and be covered in the same/similar fabric and color as the dress. The toe of the boot should be slightly rounded and a conservative heel.

Hair: Hair should be styled as seen on screen and in reference photos. Color should be muted purple in color. Applicant can use either a wig or can color and style their own hair.

Jewelry/Accessories: Jewelry should match the look and feel of screen used items.
Applicant must have the silver semi circular "tiara" at the back of the hair as seen on screen.
Applicant must have two silver cuff bracelets with angular cut outs and should be approx. 5" long.
Applicant must have silver earrings that are semi circular at the ear with small light purple stones that dangle from the bottom.
Applicant can have one or both of the rings. One is oval, gold, and has a pink-ish stone and the other is round, silver, with opalescent stones.
Close ups of jewelry and accessories can be viewed on page 40 of the Visual Dictionary from "The Last Jedi".

Optional:

DDC Defender 5 blaster

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
TFS (Tom Schobert)
Active Legion Member

Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:
TFS wrote:
Is this now finished?

I am waiting for some additional comments on this:

Schph Gochi wrote:
OK....

so far I have:

Dress: Made from a puce colored jersey or stretch fabric with exceptional draping quality. The fabric should stay in the color range of puce that appears brown but during movement can shift in puce color range to a muted purple (see Pantone 19-1518). The dress should have a neck piece that allows for both collarbones to show. The neck piece should have a hidden zipper in the back and be very tight at the neck and then drape down to the front of the dress. The back should have an oversized hood that should be long enough to go past the buttocks. The dress should also have a singular panel that goes from the left shoulder to the floor in proportion to the dress.

Shoes/boots: Boots should be at least over the ankle and be covered in the same/similar fabric and color as the dress. The toe of the boot should be slightly rounded and a conservative heel.

Hair: Hair should be styled as seen on screen and in reference photos. Color should be muted purple in color. Applicant can use either a wig or can color and style their own hair.

Jewelry/Accessories: Jewelry should match the look and feel of screen used items.
Applicant must have the silver semi circular "tiara" at the back of the hair as seen on screen.
Applicant must have two silver cuff bracelets with angular cut outs and should be approx. 5" long.
Applicant must have silver earrings that are semi circular at the ear with small light purple stones that dangle from the bottom.
Applicant can have one or both of the rings. One is oval, gold, and has a pink-ish stone and the other is round, silver, with opalescent stones.
Close ups of jewelry and accessories can be viewed on page 40 of the Visual Dictionary from "The Last Jedi".

Optional:

DDC Defender 5 blaster

OK
Lipstkadvntr (Cate Broomhead)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:
What are those who made/are making this costume think about this?

I’m not quite sure what the question is.

To my eyes, the drape sits on top of the hood over the left shoulder and goes to the floor or hem of the dress. Possibly 12 inches wide and then gathered.
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lipstkadvntr wrote:

To my eyes, the drape sits on top of the hood over the left shoulder and goes to the floor or hem of the dress. Possibly 12 inches wide and then gathered.

that is the answer....I wanted to add a little detail to the description of that piece.

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
jeneyre ()
Alderaan Base CO
Alderaan Base CO

2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to drape my test garment at the moment. . .
jeneyre ()
Alderaan Base CO
Alderaan Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should add a center back seam to the CRL.

Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this helpful?

Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it matter if there's a back seam or not.
Tenoch ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Postedby_RA wrote:
The bracers ( exact same ones. Only in gold.) can be found on ebay.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Retro-Ethnic-Women-Men-Geometric-Hollow-Cuff-Bangle-Wide-Big-Bracelet-Punk-Gift/292371604498?_mwBanner=1&epid=8011519846

I found silver ones on eBay as well! They're style #14 on the listing. They're kind of overly shiny and a little cheap-looking based on the photograph, but they would certainly be easier to modify than the gold ones, and might look good with a bit of weathering.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282513416269?rmvSB=true
PondLife81 (Christine Evans)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All seam lines are very important. Not only structurally, but also for what we are trying to do here.

The center back seam is integral to the correct drape of the train.

I would also like to address the fact that this dress is self lined, much like Leia's ANH dress, which is a requirement for that CRL. This is also important to the drape of the dress and should be included.
Alderaan Base CO
Alderaan Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PondLife81 wrote:
All seam lines are very important. Not only structurally, but also for what we are trying to do here.

The center back seam is integral to the correct drape of the train.

I would also like to address the fact that this dress is self lined, much like Leia's ANH dress, which is a requirement for that CRL. This is also important to the drape of the dress and should be included.

Ohhh the self lining makes total sense. I just finished draping my test garment, and that helps explain some of the trouble I was having with the lower neckline section.

And with this kind of drape and fabric, it really needs to be lined anyway!!!

Anyone catch how the left shoulder drape is finished at the edges? or the "hood" drape? I'm envisioning finishing it with as invisible a hand rolled stitch as I can, like the front edge of Leia's hood, but if the entire dress is self lined I could see doing that for both draped pieces, as long as the fabric was thin enough. I definitely realized my mockup fabric wasn't thin enough!
http://www.jeneyre.com/2019/09/build-threads-on-legion-forums.html
Avatar photo by https://www.robbins-studios.com/
Postedby_RA (Rosalie van Beek)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which also could be usefull to link: here is an interview with the outfit designer.

https://www.google.nl/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/last-jedi-costume-designer-his-inspiration-1068776

The main question is going to be: which kind of ‘color’ puce they picked. As it’s all having different ‘shades’ ( some are more grey’ish. Other red, purple.) Also the lighting is important. As a shop light shows different colors on the jersey than outside (cloudy/sunny) lighting.

I self found ( and bought ) a puce colored jersey (€6 per meter) which ‘could’ be a correct color.

(Pic)
http://nl.tinypic.com/r/2qvwb2e/9

Any thoughts on the color?

I also think that the back drape is attached onto the neck, which prevents it to be pulled backwards and down. Putting some of the weight ( idk how to exactly call it in english.) on the neck.

There also seems to be (i think) a hidden zipper in the neck + under the back drape (which is covered)
jedibarriss (Teresa Becker)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

while the VF pictures may not be suitable for color due to enhancement there are some structural items revealed

There is a middle back seam and side seams. I suspect there is a zipper under the hood that goes down the back. . The back of the neck has a double ridge on it with the hidden zipper in between them. This image also shows the back of the right shoulder with draping going under the hood. I suspect that the dress has the draping in the back the same as the front so that when the hood is up you can see it.

necklineback by Teresa Becker, on Flickr

Length of this dress goes at least to the shoes but not floor because we see her pick it up as she walks so as not to trip over it.

I think it would be wise to include color tones in the definition of puce because it would make sense to keep it within a range of those interpreted colors. Lavender, taupe, dusty rose rosey lavender whatever.

When you look closely at the VF shoot you see there is at least four more inches in the back so the back is much longer than the front. The edge seems to have a double roll over and the left drape /sash piece is longer than the dress.

trailback by Teresa Becker, on Flickr

Last edited by jedibarriss (Teresa Becker) on Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lipstkadvntr (Cate Broomhead)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drape or sash is actually on top of the hood, not under it. You can see this in the Vanity Fair shoot.

The length I would agree is to the floor, also has a slight train to it.

With all the questions on color, I will reiterate that I think a photo reference for the range that will be deemed acceptable should be in the standard.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> RL GSC Standards Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: