Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8c69ee030335b5ab74273c1a77f538b7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Amilyn Holdo costume standards discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> RL GSC Standards Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Planxty ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m also curious, is anyone planning on modifying a commercial pattern as a starting point, or drafting the whole thing from scratch?
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Postedby_RA wrote:
I’ve found an article where they interviewed the designer who made Holdo her outfit

The color is Puce (And from Jersey) and he got the inspiration from
Madame Gres

https://www.google.nl/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/last-jedi-costume-designer-his-inspiration-1068776

Awesome...and I wondered why a Vice Admiral would be wearing something that looks like she was going out to a ball...lol..

and....
google the color puce...then click "images" and...
boy...
do you get a wide range of colors..

Wink

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:
Postedby_RA wrote:
I’ve found an article where they interviewed the designer who made Holdo her outfit

The color is Puce (And from Jersey) and he got the inspiration from
Madame Gres

https://www.google.nl/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/last-jedi-costume-designer-his-inspiration-1068776

Awesome...and I wondered why a Vice Admiral would be wearing something that looks like she was going out to a ball...lol..

and....
google the color puce...then click "images" and...
boy...
do you get a wide range of colors..

Wink

Pretty much this, haha. I think it would be wise, as the standard develops, to have a chart that shows the range of colors that would be accepted. Like, bright purple is a no-go, and even my approved costume I had to photograph in multiple lights to show that in person it's actually not that bright. But by the same token, any stone grey/brown should have that undertone of purple to it. Puce is a moving target, haha, and as long as it's within a certain range I wouldn't like to see us getting too nitpicky on the ladies wanting to make this dress.

Also, for what it's worth, having seen a few of the costumes in person/BTS footage versus what they looked like on film, everything on the bridge of the Raddus appears to have been color graded way dark. So if someone submits a dress that's not quite as dark as it is on screen, that would not be the end of the world to me.

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Celestia Delegation Leader
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complete quote of her article posted:
"One of the film’s most feminine looks was a draped, cape-back jersey gown worn by Vice Admiral Holdo (Laura Dern).

I thought when I read the script that Holdo would be wearing a uniform, so I did some uniform designs and showed them to Rian and he said, "Oh no, no, no, no. She’s flirting with Oscar Isaacs’ character, I don’t want her to be in a uniform, I want her to be unique and almost balletic." He said, "I’d like to see her body and her body language, and her silhouette, and have her be more feminine." So I started thinking about feminine balletic design, and something kind of Greek, which made me start thinking about jersey, and then I started thinking about Madame Gres. So that’s where that came from.

I feel like women are going to want that gown!

The color, people asked me, "what color is it? Is it purple, no, is it brown, no!" I always wondered what color puce was, and it’s puce!"
Tari (Philippa Lory)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great we have it confirmed but puce is such a varied colour. As above I agree that it would be better to have a range of colour to choose from, rather than being too picky. Jersey too is tricky as it can change with every shot :p
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 4)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Pantone....and note that they say that images on the computer are not necessarily accurate..

Then....here puce is listed in the reds family

and

another swatch on the color puce

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man you guys got that right about the color ambiguity!

For the record, I want to state I was just trying to let you all know what t he designer had to say. Not going to argue the need for a range. Smile
CaptainTightpantsCosplay ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping on this thread, because I'llbe making one of these for my wife. Couple of notes on this one.

I do believe there is a zipper at the back of the neck.

also, I'm not sure she is shown with it in the film, but i have seen multiple shot of her with a cut down version of the Defender sporting blaster pistol.

Lipstkadvntr (Cate Broomhead)
Active Legion Member

2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is most definitely an invisible zipper up the back of the dicky-like collar that is attached. I would think construction-wise that it is going about five or so inches beneath the back of the dress and that the back/hood is then hooked onto the collar in the center. In certain shots, it dips on both sides out to the shoulders.

As far as the color, Puce may be ambiguous, but it will always mean that there is some purple, be it an under tone or over tone. The fabric was very likely dyed for the movie. I work in the film and TV industry and can attest to the fact that film filters, camera filters, and post-editing can drastically change how a fabric can appear. Test your fabrics. Photograph them and see what they look like under the lens of your phone or camera. This fabric is not brown or gray, it has purple (aka red and blue) in it underneath the brown overtone in addition to the heavy filters which is why it shifts color. It's Leia's TFA jumpsuit all over again.

It is also most definitely a knit, in my estimation, silk jersey because Star Wars looooooves silk jersey. A two-way stretch will be much much easier to work with, but I'm finding that my drape with a four-way on the bias is gorgeous.

To answer the question about patterning, I plan to drape my own pattern for this one.

Also, get your hands on the visual dictionary for the jewelry and great shots of her weapon.

The circlet in her hair, the cuffs, and the rings should be the 'required' jewelry in my option, while the others can be accepted, but not required.

Also, if anyone was paying attention to her shoes, they are calf-high flat boots that are covered in the same color material, if not the same material, as the dress.
silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The multi pink stone silver ring is going to be a tough one to "Find." Someone with skills is going to have to make this one to sell as I do not know if I can find anything like it. The rest of the ensemble is doable.

Requiring it might mean a setback for several of us.
PondLife81 (Christine Evans)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colors can always be tricky, there is always a million shades of even the most basic of hues. With this dress, and the amount of wonderful information coming from the designers themselves, choosing a Pantone selection that reflects the dress as referenced in material (visual Dictionary, printed materials) and the movie, which could give us a different color every shot, because of the filters, makes the most sense for a standard. Here is your accepted rainbow to choose from. With someone always keeping their eye out for new information so that the colors can be updated as needed.

As for the Jewelry, totally a must. If characters such as Boushh, Padme, Clones, etc. are judged on every bead and greeble, then a good passing resemblance to a ring should be possible. I have been following several costumers builds that have already sourced, bought, or constructed beautiful made accessories for Holdo.

Fabric has all the hallmarks of silk jersey. Silk is not a must, there are wonderful rayon and poly alternatives out there.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all! So just my thoughts: Jewelry being required makes sense, but the "exactness" needs degrees of reasonable judgment. No clone helmet is a perfect sculpt, nor pilot helmet, etc. etc. There needs to be reasonable freedom that it's close, but maybe not perfect. Though honestly someone 3D rendering it and printing it would be a wonderful idea. I would, if I had the skills.
Lipstkadvntr (Cate Broomhead)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about degree of "reasonableness" regarding the jewelry. The earrings and large stone ring should be relatively easy to find exact or dupes of, but the smaller ring might take some research or creation. The circlet is an important piece representing Gatalenta's multiple suns which seems significant to the character to not include.
Planxty ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JEFF4i wrote:
Hey all! So just my thoughts: Jewelry being required makes sense, but the "exactness" needs degrees of reasonable judgment. No clone helmet is a perfect sculpt, nor pilot helmet, etc. etc. There needs to be reasonable freedom that it's close, but maybe not perfect. Though honestly someone 3D rendering it and printing it would be a wonderful idea. I would, if I had the skills.

Agreed, the jewelry is an essential part of her overall look.

Personally, I'm planning on asking a buddy who's really into 3D printing if he'd be capable of doing any of it. That's work out swell if he could do it.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> RL GSC Standards Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: