Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7a731831c894cc1bdcfd954b61e25ab8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

S4 Hera Syndulla Civilian Disguise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> TV shows Rebels and Clone Wars costumes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenadd ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: S4 Hera Syndulla Civilian Disguise Reply with quote

Hi Everyone! I've just submitted my Disguise!Hera for approval, so I'm just going to copy my WIP thread over from the Elstree Base forum.

It's me! You're friendly neighbourhood twi'lek. In the most recent episode of Rebels Hera had a costume change to go undercover - it was very exciting. My grand plan is to eventually do all of Hera's looks this season. The lighting in the episode is extra Dim and Dramatic, so I thought that this would be a very fast and easy build to get done and dusted before diving in with Bo Katan. Unfortunately convincing Tracy Cabbanero to upload the turnarounds led to much regret as it is, of course, a more complicated look that expected. As per.

Given the painful amount of body paint involved - I do not have the patience of a Talon - I will probably only ever troop with this once. Or possibly just do photos. We'll see.

The turnaround of pain and devastation:

The cap I will use a suede or lovely pig skin, I'll see what I find. The detailing will probably be embroidered and I'll see about those little panels. Unfortunately the actual physical skull needs far more seams than here, so I will probably take my existing pattern and shunt the two central seams so that they sit further apart, and hopefully some level of disguise will come out of the embroidery. We'll see. The false earcones I will use some white leather scrappage I have lying about. I'll use one of my old Hera lekku, probably v.2 as I'm planning to use my shorter original ones for baby!Hera.

The hideous bandage shoes and wrappings physically pain me.

I'll go ahead and get the same Boots crepe bandages that we used for Rey and dye them. For the wrappings I'll use the Rey technique of stitching them to a jersey sock that can just be pulled on for minimal fuss and maximum hating myself. The hideous bandage shoes that a sartorial failure, I'll buy some cheapo knock-off uggs and cover them with the same bandages. Everyone will be sad. Except Kanan for he is blind.

I'm hoping to have time to nip to the fabric shops tomorrow and I'll source a deep burgundy/brown heavy cotton something something for the trousers, belt and binding on the top. The trouser detailing I will probably pipe, so I'll look for something for that. The yellow-orange detailing on the belt I will use leftover vinyl from Numa.

The top I have made up a pattern file as best I can from the low quality turnaround. I've forwarded on to get printed up on a bonded technical jersey so that it will have a good amount of weight and body, but still an appropriate drape for the subtle peplum shape below the belt.

The gist of the comm gauntlet is done, it just needs a sand once the milliput is set the primed and painted. It's made of 5mm, 3mm and 2mm foamex, speaker holes dremmeled in.

Despite it being a far more complicated costume than i was inititally thinking, I am hoping that I can still get this bashed out in a couple of weeks. We shall see, I rarely manage to get things done when I want.
Xenadd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping to have this done in the next week or so, work/life permitting.

Got my fabric for the top back from the printer. I could have done with flipping it so that it sat on the stretch grain, but as this is unlikely to get a lot of wear it'll be fine. Draped up a quick pattern and knocked out the top. As shown in the images here, I originally bound the hem but it looked sloppy and made the peplum stand out to much so I've since faced the peplum and it hangs much better. The edges were bound in the same stretch denim that I got for the trousers. Time permitting, I may go back in and rebind the neck to get a more accurate taper on the straps.

For the trousers I used a deep burgundy stretch denim that I sourced. I took my Numa trouser pattern and altered it to allow for the piping, lengthened it a smidge and let it out at the hips (yay). I considered trying to eliminate the upper side seam sand have the only seams be the piped panelling, but with my proportions it's just not possible. For the piping I dyed up some silk that I had lying around. Once placed next to the denim it's a little paler than it should be, so I may go back in and hand paint it darker. The trousers were gathered into a cuff and with the piping it perfectly creates the shape in the show. Concealed zip in the side seam to keep things neat. I also lined them in a pink cotton since this is apparently my one girly costume.

For the leg wrappings I dyed up everyone's favourite crepe bandages to a pinky brown, made a sock/leg warmer out some scuba jersey and stitched the bandages in place.

The shoes - which a sartorial failure and i am quitting the rebellion out of principle - I bought some cheapo booties from primani and cut them down then pinned and glued more bandages in place, trying to match the placement to the turnaround as much as possible.

Sigh. Hatred. The things I do for Hera Syndulla.

The gauntlet has been painted up, it just needs the little black triangle on the red switch. That just leaves the belt and choker, both of which will be made out of the same stretch denim as the trousers, and the cap which will have to be draped and drafted from scratch as it is a hybrid of Hera and Numa's caps. I'll be using Hera v2.0 lekku as I don't really want to be swapping lekku from cap to cap.
Xenadd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Undercover Hera is done and submitted!

Here's what I wrote for the app:

Hera Syndulla's season 4 civilian disguise costume worn when returning covertly to Ryloth to liberate Ryloth.

Lekku - Latex forms matching Hera's unique silhouette, painted to match skin tone with pale green markings.

Cap - Brown suede cap. Quilted lekku 'sleeves' with 'cold lekku' extension; bound in grey silk; three central panels in grey silk and pink suede. Pink embroidered pattern detail matching the colour of the central panel. Off-white earcones with raised suede surround.

Choker - narrow choker of burgundy stretch denim to match trousers.

Top - Square necked tank top in pinks with circles in diamond formation self pattern and peplum. Neckline and armholes bound in burgundy denim to match trousers.

Belt - 1.5" belt on waist in burgundy stretch denim to match trousers. Two rectangular details in foamex framing the waist, with yellow and orange coloured panels.

Trousers - Wide-legged, high-waisted burgundy denim trousers with grey silk piping detail down the front and looping up the back; two rows of grey silk piping detail around the circumference of the knee above the gathered cuff.

Wraps - Crepe bandage leg wraps in a grey-pink

Shoes - wrapped in grey-pink crepe bandages matching the leg wraps, soles sprayed to match.

Cuff - comm gauntlet it brown with large angled central panel in grey with speaker detail, raised ridge and two buttons - one in white and one red with a black triangle.

Make-up - On all exposed skin including face, neck, decolletage, shoulders, arms and hands: Green bodypaint to match lekku and on-screen colour. Contoured in darker shades and highlight with yellows to attempt to mimic character face-shape and create structure and realism. Blotted coral lipstick. False eyelashes and black eyeliner per animation. Eyebrows filled in and defined. Green contact lenses.

I am a little concerned about htis one, mainly because my pictures are really really not great. Partly because it was -2 and we took them outside and it shows in how i'm standing and that we rushed, and also bc my flatmate takes great photos (when they're actually in focus!) but he doesn't care enough to point out when you've smeared powder somewhere or something's lying wrong. And everything was lying wrong because I was so. Cold. Anyway, we'll see.

Since it was so freezing and it was the day of the Space Bear crew screenings (also the European premiere), I grabbed a quick shot in my crew jacket for social media:
SaaurGundo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks amazing. Well done!
PArmstr (Patricia Armstrong-Krauss)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this looks awesome.
AliyaJ (Aliya Buist)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning! Great work! Surprised Surprised Surprised
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all so much! Fingers crossed.
KimKenobi (Nicole)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what an amazing piece of work. Your sewing is really neat (wished mine would be like that), and the costume as a whole looks just great Very Happy
Hope you might have already gotten approved by now!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> TV shows Rebels and Clone Wars costumes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: