Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8c4ff078fbc343e45594e07d11c0961dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

CON Question - How do you carry your saber blades?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Khaalis ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: CON Question - How do you carry your saber blades? Reply with quote

So I am going to be doing a Jedi one day at DragonCon and I have a question about how all you other Jedi carry your sabers in regards to carrying the blades. As it stands, I can only see carrying the saber on the Covertec and just not have a blade.

However, I see a lot of pictures of people with their sabers lit with blades, but that seems like a pretty cumbersome option. Do you carry a bladed saber kind like a cane? Propped-up your shoulder like a big sword? Or do you have another way to stash the blade on your person so you can add it to your saber only when you need it?

Thanks!
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say change room is always nice to have in regards of storing a blade when you are tired of holding it all day.

If you can't I know some jedi around here have a "blade" holder in their cape's edge. something like a pocket in the bottom, and just a loop higher so it hold the blade. Not sure it is so comfortable however.
Khaalis ()

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Unfortunately a change room isn't going to be an option as my hotel will be an Uber-Ride away. The cloak idea is pretty good, but I'll be uncloaked (AUG in Atlanta). I'd love to get some more into on the cloak mod though for future uses.
SithLantern (Shawn Todd)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a blade sleeve attached to the inner seam of my cloak and robes. So I can remove and store my blade as i need and hang my hilt on my hip to move around a con.
Jedi
Avatar Photo by: Robbins Studios Photography and Fine Art
Khaalis ()

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SithLantern wrote:
I have a blade sleeve attached to the inner seam of my cloak and robes. So I can remove and store my blade as i need and hang my hilt on my hip to move around a con.

Did you make the cloak and sleeve yourself or did you get it made by some (and if so who)?

I have t gotten a cloak yet, but might consider it for the blade functionality. The heat may make it less of an option though.
jeniwan (Jenna Hunt)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry my blade around in an expandable poster tube. I'd be carrying the tube anyway because I tend to buy a lot of art, and the blade fits just fine down the middle.
Great Lakes Base -- Rey (Resistance, Jakku, TLJ and Training) and Jyn Erso
Grog Zombie (Kevin Rabener)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what you are planning to do that day. If you are costuming as a Jedi all day and want to go to panels and the dealer's hall etc., then you may want to go with the hilt on your belt with no blade. If you are wearing it for the parade, one of the photo shoots, or want to go to the Last Night on Alderaan party then bring the blade.

A sleeve in the robe is a good idea, although I haven't done that yet. I have worn my winter weight wool robe at DC and survived the outdoor photo shoot, but I wouldn't want to wear it all day. If you do wear a robe, be careful on the escalators:)
SithLantern (Shawn Todd)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khaalis wrote:
SithLantern wrote:

Did you make the cloak and sleeve yourself or did you get it made by some (and if so who)?

I have t gotten a cloak yet, but might consider it for the blade functionality. The heat may make it less of an option though.

Made both myself.
Jedi
Avatar Photo by: Robbins Studios Photography and Fine Art
ardavenport (Anne Davenport)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 different ways of carrying a lightsaber blade.

-- I have sewn, on the inside facing of all my Jedi robes, a long narrow 'pocket' that the blade fits into. This works fine for me, even when sitting down since Jedi robes are so large.
-- I have a leather loop that I can snap on to the back of my belt. It has a black elastic loop attached to it that holds the blade.

Your focus determines who you are.
TOPACES (Tobias Brzitwa)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ardavenport wrote:

-- I have sewn, on the inside facing of all my Jedi robes, a long narrow 'pocket' that the blade fits into. This works fine for me, even when sitting down since Jedi robes are so large.

Hi Anne,
just wondering - does your robe then feature a broad or narrow facing? I imagine the blade pocket could just be the inside of the facing fold if it's more than an inch wide.
I was planning for my robe to feature a narrower facing, as seen on the OWK ROTS Robe, as can be seen here on the lower right:

This also gives me the impression that a robe as wide as this will swing and fall differently, e.g. exposing the front facing and inside. So how do you handle this?

Another question that comes to my mind is: If you'd be actually using a narrow facing on your robe yourself, how do you attach any kind of pocket there without having a visible seam on the outside that would outline these pockets?
I saw you mention also a water bottle pocket in an older thread (72948) - found that to be a good idea, but am wondering the same thing about the attachment seams.
Milla Sayven ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My blade pockets are attached to the inside seams of the robe

Have you ever danced with the krayt dragon in the pale moonlight?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: