Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2ffff8eb1628c44b63f7588913b98729Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rey costume colours advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> New Star Wars costumes ep 7 on
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wraith22 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Rey costume colours advice Reply with quote

Hi, I'm looking at putting in a new application for my Rey costume, but I have become slightly obsessed with the colours of the this costume, and need some advice! I'm not sure if I've got the colours quite right, but am reluctant to mess with them too much now, after my attempts to re-dye my previous wrap went wrong. Here is my costume so far:

I'm not sure if I should try and make the wrap a little more grey. Or are the pants too grey? I've been looking at pictures for so long I just don't know anymore! So any advice anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.
gallica (laure)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello ! Your colors looks really good and can pass to get approval without any problem. Very Happy Maybe the pant is a bit too dark yes, but it might depends of the light. If you want to get the accurate look, the trick is to check in different lighting : indoor (with a light on and off) and outdoor (on sunlight). Don't hesitate to take a lot of pics in different lighting. Can you post some here for us to see how it look ?

If you don't think confident about making changes, don't do it. To dye fabric is not easy, I understand it. And you have nailed pretty well the colors Smile
Wraith22 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply gallica! I'm so relieved you said the colours were good, I have spent a ridiculous amount of time on that wrap! I took some photos outside, and the colours definitely look a bit more true to life outside:

I only have a couple of pics from the convention I wore the costume to on the weekend, but they show the costume in different light inside:

So, I will leave the colours as they are. Is there anything else I should look at before submitting an application?
gallica (laure)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't change the color of the tabbards, it's perfect like that !

The only problem I see is about your fabric. It don't appear crinkle as the viscose in the photos... if it's smooth, not sure if this can pass. You can purchase some from Joann, or try to pleated the fabric to give a crinkle look otherwise.

Also, the small changes you can do before submitting is to cut a bit the sleeves of the shirt and wear your arm wrap higher. You can use a compression sport sleeve under it to keep it in place.
I can't see it on the photos, but don't hesitate to weathered your shirt. You can use black acrylic paint mixed with water and sprayed it(with a perfume or shampoo bottle for exemple) on specific places (as sleeves, V-neck and bottom). Try to pull your shirt on the top of the pocket of your pant, it should be hidden all the time, especially on the submitting pic.

Do you have pics of the back of your costume (with the pouch ?)
Wraith22 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gallica wrote:

Do you have pics of the back of your costume (with the pouch ?)

Yes I do, here is one:

I also had a go at ironing the wrap so it looks kind of pleated and crinkly, because it wasn't crinkled:

I hope that makes it look a bit better. Sorry for all the posts, but I really want to get this right before I submit an application! Thanks for all your other suggestions, I will definitely follow them in my new photos.
gallica (laure)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome ! Smile You can post here eveythings you want to know, that's why this forum exist, so don't worry. I'll be glad to help.

Your tababrds looks better yes. Be sure that in the submission photos and before any trooping, your fabric will have this look. That mean you'll probably need to iron it a lots of time. I encourage you to find another fabric if you can. Accurate one that workes perfectly is crinckle viscose : https://www.thefabricroom.co.uk/viscose/viscose-crinkle/viscose-crinkle-ivory.html ( I haven't ordered there, so it might be better to order a swatch before to test and see the fabric is okay in person. It look right on the pics)

Your pouch looks good Smile
stardancer1914 (Star Dancer)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only suggestion is the shirt looks a tad light. You might do a really light tea bath and see if that helps. Also you can lay the pieces next to each other on a white background (poster board works or white paper) in outside in natural light but not direct sunlight and that will show the true colors. Take a pic of that to show the shirt is not white.

• United Citizens of the Galactic Republic DCO 2016 to present
  • UCGR - DXO 2015
  • Legion Costume Judge - Jedi & Rebel Supporters 2015 to 2017
  • Mos Eisley Base - Grand Canyon State

Your past is who you are today so move forward and don't look back
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> New Star Wars costumes ep 7 on All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: