Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0a3c0bf3b56480189d19ebdcd550d6c9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ANH Leia dress help- New Member
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StarryEyedMaiden (Cecelia Mabee)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: ANH Leia dress help- New Member Reply with quote

Hi there, This past weekend I went to FanExpo Vancouver and got tot talking with some members of the 501st and Rebel Legion and they inspired me to get my butt in gear and start the process of getting approved. I had made ANH Leia in a few days a week or so before the actual convention with submitting it in mind. It's not 100% to your standards but I made in hopes of fixing it up or at least a base to add to. Here is a link to Imgur album of some progress shots https://imgur.com/a/cyuKt and I'll explain what I know is missing and what mine has. I know I need to get a wig and better shoes, these worked for the convention but I do plan on getting them when I have the money. My dress is just a single layer, it doesn't have a lining and I hand hemmed it so no top stitching is viable. My belt is made from foam because it worked for the time I needed but I do plan on making it out of thicker material with metal pieces for those little metal parts. My collar was a rush job as even though I've been sewing for 5 years they still give me issues so I need to fix how that looks and add the key hole in the back. Any help would be amazing as I'd love to be a part of this amazing group

ps I hope the link works I'm new to forums lol
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there. Smile

Glad to have you here.
The basic shape of your dress looks pretty good. Did you do the gathering stitch under the belt?
Of course the dress will need to be self-lined, and it currently is too short for you judging from your last picture.
I can see that the hood is also attached too far to the front of the collar, so that fabric will also need to be gathered more and sewn on in the back only.
Keyhole should almost go down to the edge of the shoulder blades, but not quite. It's basically a long slit.

Oh, and add a softer top curve to your belt when you remake it. The most common mistakes with the belt is doing a sharp curve rather than a soft curve. Smile

Best of luck with it.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I donít have a gathering stitch under the belt, I donít think Iíve ever seen one because the references I used, some already members of the Legion, didnít have it so I wasnít sure. I made this for a con so I didnít add the keyhole because the collar was being weird but I knew to add it. Thatís another thing Iím having issues on is the collar because all of my mock ups turned out horrible and Iím still having issues with it.

Thanks for the advice though I canít wait to pickup more fabric to start fixing all of this!

(Took me forever to find the reply button lol)
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gathering stitch isn't required, but it helps keep the fabric in place and at the right place under the belt. Smile I do recommend adding it. Otherwise the blousing over the belt will likely not stay in place as gravity pulls on the fabric.

Best of luck with the collar; they can be tricky little things. Getting the right curve and getting it to stand up and all that.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, Iíll definitely see if I can add that. Iíll see once I get my fabric how it works and looks and figure it out from there. I might just end up buying a pattern that has a collar that works because that might be less of a hassle than making one from scratch
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one way to do it. Smile Whatever works and gives you the right end result.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut my fabric today lining and all and heres what a day of work looks like https://imgur.com/a/GPmce the hood is just pinned on becuase I wanted to see if the placement was good with you guys. I have to hem the sleeves and bottom as well but I'm doing that another day. I'm also cutting the keyhole when the collar is put on so I know it will look ok
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck. Smile I recommend finishing the sleeves and bottom seams separately so you can do it right sides together and turn it right sides out through the collar.

CiaoBirdie ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a judge but I have an approved ANH Leia. A couple of things I would recommend: I would try to make the edges of the belt smoother, you can kind of see where it was cut and it is a little uneven - an easy fix.

Also, when you do your buns for submission, make sure they go almost to the top of your head. This is something my costume judge told me I needed to fix when I submitted, so I just wanted to give you a heads up.

Good luck! It's looking great so far! Very Happy

https://www.facebook.com/ciaobirdiecosplay
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I donít really understand what you mean by finishing the seems then pulling it through the collar. Also donít worry Ciaobirdie thatís the old belt I donít plan on submitting it
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, it's kind of hard to explain in words alone... but you sewn things together rights sides and then turn it inside out so the seams are all hidden on the inside, sandwiched between the two layers. But to do it you need a 'hole' where you haven't sewn the two layers together, otherwise you can't turn the fabric around.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, I think Iíll figure it out. Also I pinned the collar on and another Leia was helping and I think itís in a good position to be seen on. Also made another collar mock up and I think this one might work with some more fiddling ( Red was the only fabric I had right now) but I wanted to get second opinions before I started sewing https://imgur.com/a/DGTBu
Daughter of Alderaan (Joy Lochelt)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The collar shape looks good in front but it is difficult to see how it will finally lay as you have it tied in a knot which is not how it will finally lay. I would also cut the keyhole opening in the back and attach this to the lining before adding the hood as this will help you know when to stop your gathers. I am not sure if you already did it but stay-stitch the neck openings ASAP to avoid stretch as you figure things out.

It is hard to tell in the pictures but your hood also may be too long, the Padawans Guide has a Ton if great photos for this costume to help you. Good luck and thanks for sharing!

Photos by Robbins Studios

In Progress:Padme Loyalist Gown, Leia Raddus Bridge
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The collars not tired in a knot I just made this pattern too long so tha the over lap. The pinning is seen to the main fabric so Iím good on that front. Iíve been putting off cutting the keyhole as the first dress I made when I put the keyhole in it ruined my collar pattern but I think I made my neck hole and collar pattern ok this time so it should work out if I cut the key hole at this stage, how long is it ment to be again I forget if I saw a proper length or not. Also my hood uses the same measurements as that one really popular tutorial that is in most of these Leia forums and another Leia linked me too it so it might just be the pictures because i think it covers the back of the belt where the 8th plate would be, at this stage I can shorten it though since itís just pinned down at this point

Thanks for all this help guys
Daughter of Alderaan (Joy Lochelt)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hood Should hit past belt and at top of your bottom

http://www.padawansguide.com/originaltrilogy/anh4.jpg

Keyhole should end about mid shoulder blade

http://www.padawansguide.com/originaltrilogy/keyhole.jpg

Photos by Robbins Studios

In Progress:Padme Loyalist Gown, Leia Raddus Bridge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: