Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3bc6207f6ca3d49248fab07c6559c92cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Convention table props
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Freedom Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coryphefish (Corellon J)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Convention table props Reply with quote

Suggest stuff that would look awesome on a convention table. Stuff you have, stuff you can make, or stuff that someone else would have to make or print.

Edit: The best stuff is something that is part of an approveable costume build. Or even an actual approveable costume if you have a mannequin.

Edit: Ultimately, as sparse as this base can get sometimes, the most important thing is interest and commitment. If you have a thing you want to put on the table, just offer to share it! Don't worry whether it's good enough - that's how we get empty tables Smile

- An individual who did not so much rebel as saunter vaguely hopewards.

2018/19: Commanding Officer, Docking Bay 94 Detachment
2017/18: DXO DB94, BMO Freedom Base

Last edited by coryphefish (Corellon J) on Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
coryphefish (Corellon J)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My go-to is a "his & hers" set of blasters - A180 and A280 CFE.

I'm going to make the Death Star plans tapes asap, and I'll post a tutorial and help people make it at armor parties if anyone's interested. It's such a lulzy prop to have at the Rebel Legion booth like "hey 501st, we have your plans!"

After the January spoiler ban is lifted, I'll share my TLJ ideas.

treblemaker (Carly Kennedy)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestions:

Lightsaber hilts
Death Star plans - Scarif data tape and smaller Rebel data card
Jedi Holocrons
Droid callers
Rebel and Jedi comlinks
Helmets (RFT, pilots)
Ship/droid models
Blasters for blaster-friendly events

Relatedly:
I think it would be great if we could have stacked crates to display items BEHIND the table too for the more "no-touch" items. Like the set-up at AwesomeCon 2017, that worked really well and members were more comfortable putting their personal costume items there when they weren't in costume.

I'll try to continue consolidating everything in this list as people suggest more items! Blasters will stay at the bottom of the list, let's prioritize ensuring there are items available for events that aren't blaster-friendly.

Starfighter Command Instagram
Starfighter Command Public Facebook
Starfighter Command Members Facebook

Last edited by treblemaker (Carly Kennedy) on Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
mleech77 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just taking a quick spin through thingiverse for 3D prints. In addition to what's already been mentioned:
Ship Models
Droid models
Keychains
Badge Holders
erictank ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we can find or make the models for them, a comlink or Jedi communicator might be good.

I'm one of the people in Freedom with a 3D printer, and am (within reason) willing to print stuff for the Base. I have enough of my own stuff I need to work on that I want to pawn off finishing those prints on someone else, but a few prints I can start and let run shouldn't be a big issue. The printer is a Monoprice Duplicator 6P, and can print a max volume of about 7"x7"x7", to give you an idea of the unit size. Larger parts can be done in sections and glued or otherwise fastened together, for things like saber hilts, blasters, etc.
mleech77 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to 3D print a bunch of things for donation to the tables at various cons. I've got a LulzBot Taz6 so it's for a fairly sizable print bed. Like Eric mentioned I have a bunch of projects in the works myself, so if we have someone who is good with painting I'm happy to get them pieced together and then pass them off to someone to finish.
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mleech77 wrote:
Just taking a quick spin through thingiverse for 3D prints. In addition to what's already been mentioned:
Ship Models
Droid models
Keychains
Badge Holders

I'll add these to the list! I think it would be best to prioritize costuming prop items, but models would certainly look fun on the table.

What would we do as far as keychains or badge holders? Are there some RL ones it would be okay to have as freebie items at the table?

Relatedly, could we do some big rolls of stickers with the Rebel Legion and Freedom Base logos? I'd be happy to put the money into getting some for our local conventions, but is there a policy on that sort of thing? I know Erin Blank in Ghost Base has a company she can recommend for stickers.

Last edited by treblemaker (Carly Kennedy) on Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
coryphefish (Corellon J)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treblemaker wrote:

I think it would be great if we could have stacked crates to display items BEHIND the table too for the more "no-touch" items. Like the set-up at AwesomeCon 2017, that worked really well and members were more comfortable putting their personal costume items there when they weren't in costume.

Great idea! I'll add metal stacking crates to my FB marketplace alerts.

Bouri-Plwel (Rick Bouwhuis)
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping in mind that this is a costuming club......I believe, to the best of our ability, is to make our focused efforts to try to display actual COSTUMES in various stages of construction from beginning to completed on forms or mannequins. This is what we really need to push for recruitment and membership. Accessories are ok too.....to support the specific costume(s) you display. Then of course the general PR pamphlets, stickers, handouts...etc. It is also recommended to have a complete binder of the costume standards for each accepted costume, and if you have trading cards that is a great tool as well. I actually have a trading card binder that I made for the base that I keep as well as a binder with standards and pictures of completed costumes.

Members I would hope would be willing to help lend these types of items for tables to recruit new members.

This is the approach we have taken as Air and Scare and it has been VERY successful. I would be willing to lend/bring costumes for this kind of display.

"It was an honor just to be nominated!"
"Remember - You are UNIQUE....Just like everyone else!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bouri-Plwel wrote:
Keeping in mind that this is a costuming club......I believe, to the best of our ability, is to make our focused efforts to try to display actual COSTUMES in various stages of construction from beginning to completed on forms or mannequins. This is what we really need to push for recruitment and membership. Accessories are ok too.....to support the specific costume(s) you display. Then of course the general PR pamphlets, stickers, handouts...etc. It is also recommended to have a complete binder of the costume standards for each accepted costume, and if you have trading cards that is a great tool as well. I actually have a trading card binder that I made for the base that I keep as well as a binder with standards and pictures of completed costumes.

Members I would hope would be willing to help lend these types of items for tables to recruit new members.

This is the approach we have taken as Air and Scare and it has been VERY successful. I would be willing to lend/bring costumes for this kind of display.

We're so short-staffed in the NOVA area I think we need to make do with whatever we can get. Most of us still only have one costume at all. So costume items such as lightsaber hilts and helmets will help a lot to flesh out our displays visually while we remain low in numbers and costumes.

A binder of with pictures of costumes and standards like what Garrison Tyranus has for display at conventions will be great! I haven't seen any material like that available for the RL so far, but if there are files available please direct me to them and I'd be happy to have it printed and put together a binder I can bring with me to conventions.

Air & Scare is great, but we have people from ALL OVER who come in for that. Most NOVA events we're lucky if we have 2 Rebels in attendance.

On the trading card front - could we do some Freedom Base trading cards? It seems like the main RL run of cards is both difficult to get into and goes a long time between runs. It would be great if we could do some Freedom Base cards like how the GT does and make trading cards available to members as long as they have a photo ready, and members can get their own printed.

mleech77 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treblemaker wrote:
On the trading card front - could we do some Freedom Base trading cards? It seems like the main RL run of cards is both difficult to get into and goes a long time between runs. It would be great if we could do some Freedom Base cards like how the GT does and make trading cards available to members as long as they have a photo ready, and members can get their own printed.

I support this 100%.
Legion XO
Legion XO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

then those 2 rebels, if they have a table should focus on costume creation and not props/models in my opinion.....that is all I'm suggesting....we are a costuming club...not a model/prop building club. Most people have extra costume pieces lying around

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Legion XO
Legion XO

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mleech77 wrote:
treblemaker wrote:

I support this 100%.

I understand there is a base level design in the approval process with the RL right now. I am sure it will be approved soon and we will all be informed on how to get them done.

Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bouri-Plwel wrote:
then those 2 rebels, if they have a table should focus on costume creation and not props/models in my opinion.....that is all I'm suggesting....we are a costuming club...not a model/prop building club. Most people have extra costume pieces lying around

I don't have anything extra so far. But is there a file for making a costuming binder? I'd love to have something like that for events, but I haven't seen anything like that available.

Legion XO
Legion XO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treblemaker wrote:

We're so short-staffed in the NOVA area I think we need to make do with whatever we can get. Most of us still only have one costume at all. So costume items such as lightsaber hilts and helmets will help a lot to flesh out our displays visually while we remain low in numbers and costumes.

All anyone coordinating a table display has to do is ASK if anyone has costume they are willing to lend for a display.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Freedom Base All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: