Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=82ec3e066941b85bb5dc66e9b64642a1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme Navy Blue Linen Dress Build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck with it. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Best of luck with it. Smile

Thank you! Now that I have more time I plan on putting in some work on it. Will definitely keep what you suggested in mind as I do it.

In progress/planning: Marvel Comics Leia, Endor Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been busy with other costumes and haven't had time to update this thread but things are finally in motion. The person I commissioned to make this for me is having me come in for a fitting on Thursday and the gemstones have been 3D designed and printed!

My buddy said he wanted to kill himself after designing these. Shocked
I told him they needed to be as screen accurate as possible and he did it but he never wants to do it again. Or so he says. Wink

My only question in regard to the gems is sizing. We are currently printing them at 2 inches for the big round ones and the smaller ones roughly 1-1.5 inches. May I please get some feedback on sizing? I don't want to have to go through all the work of printing and painting and attaching to belt and then be told they aren't big enough. In the file stage, it is easy to resize, or so I have been told. Once printed, obviously it's too late.

In progress/planning: Marvel Comics Leia, Endor Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following up on my last post, here are the current dimensions of the gems before we print. Do they need to be enlarged at all?

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they need to be larger. Smile

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the initial fitting on this dress and I am blown away. It is absolutely stunning and it is not even finished yet! My seamstress is so talented and I love working with her. The bonus is she lives super close so I am able to go in for fittings like this to make sure everything looks perfect before we proceed further.

Initially I bought 6 yards of fabric but we ended up needing 7. The close up shots of Padme turned to the side showed the different panels needed on the gown and that was what added to the necessary yardage. I should also add I am pretty tall at 5'8" so that also may have had something to do with it. Wink

In the photo above, you can see the panels I am referring to. They aren't gathered but actual panels. It's quite interesting when you take a closer look.

All the stitches on the dress are currently just basting and will be redone now that the initial fitting has taken place.

The dress will be hemmed and the neckline reinforced but so far, so good. I'm really loving how it looks and I am kind of shocked at how pregnant I actually look considering it's a fake stomach I got off Amazon. Surprised

At the suggestion of my friend, I purchased this wire to do the belt with.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EFQYQYK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The wire I was using works but isn't very strong and I was worried it would snap when we added the gemstones. Depending on time, I hope to finish beading the belt and necklace this weekend.

My dress "should" be done by next week if all goes well and then it just needs to be submitted with proper hair and makeup.

If anyone sees anything that may need altering, please let me know. At this stage, it is easy to do. Very Happy

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gems have been printed and they look amazing! I'll be picking them up from my friend sometime this week to add to the belt. Beading work, unfortunately, didn't happen this weekend but I will be back at it this week.

Last edited by LeiaAurora () on Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great gown. Smile I think you have a bit too much fabric bunching in front where your belt will sit. It will interfere with the belt and how it lies, so I recommend getting that area to lie smoother.

Also remember that 3D print needs some rounds of sanding and painting to get the print lines away.

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Great gown. Smile I think you have a bit too much fabric bunching in front where your belt will sit. It will interfere with the belt and how it lies, so I recommend getting that area to lie smoother.

Also remember that 3D print needs some rounds of sanding and painting to get the print lines away.

Thanks for the feedback. I let her know we need to adjust the front a bit. Will be working on the gems this week and adding the paint to make it shine. I'm excited to put everything together. Mr. Green

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to seeing it. Smile

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up the finished gown today from my seamstress and I cannot express how much I love it! Fits like a charm and beautifully made. Mr. Green
Needs a bit of ironing so that everything lays perfectly but overall I am very pleased with it. My friend also dropped off the printed gems to me last night so I will be working on sanding them and finishing the belt and necklace this week. Hoping to be done by end of the week at the latest on this. Shocked

The gems are the perfect size. I spaced them on the gown and they match really well with the actual costume proportions.

bekahsoka (Bekah Platzer)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is gorgeous! Well done on that fabric find, it's amazing and looks great on you! I'm not expert on this dress at all, but from pictures of her yours looks pretty close! Are you making the wrap/jacket for this as well?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bekahsoka wrote:
This is gorgeous! Well done on that fabric find, it's amazing and looks great on you! I'm not expert on this dress at all, but from pictures of her yours looks pretty close! Are you making the wrap/jacket for this as well?

Thanks! I have found that the hardest part of these costumes is finding fabric that will work so I was super happy when I located the lace that I did.

I will not be doing the wrap as it is optional and the gown is pretty heavy as is. Can only imagine wearing it when it gets warmer here. Shocked

bekahsoka (Bekah Platzer)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:
bekahsoka wrote:

Thanks! I have found that the hardest part of these costumes is finding fabric that will work so I was super happy when I located the lace that I did.

I will not be doing the wrap as it is optional and the gown is pretty heavy as is. Can only imagine wearing it when it gets warmer here. Shocked

Yup finding fabric can be the worst, I'm still searching for better velvet for my Padme lmao

Oh I totally get that! I keep wanting Padme's Snow outfit and Hoth Leia, but then I have to stop and think about where I'm moving to haha. Though I do get cold easily so it might be alright!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More progress made on this costume over the last day.

First though, a side by side of my dress and of Padme wearing hers.

I am so, so happy with how well the fabrics I chose matched up and look against the original. I'm glad I spent the extra time looking for the correct lace.

Worked on the belt and the beads over the last 2 days and the belt is primarily done. I hand strung the individual strands using a beading wire. Originally I used fishing wire but it just wasn't holding the shape correctly and was very fragile. As soon as I switched to the wire, the work went MUCH faster and the beads lined up a lot better.

This is not the exact wire I used (couldn't find the link online for what I used) but it's pretty close.
http://www.joann.com/darice-craft-designer-20-gauge-wire/xprd75706.html#start=1

The belt itself consists of 6 strands across and 7 strands hanging from the center.
I drew a diagram to help me visualize what it needed to look like in person. Again, #NotAnArtist .

I measured across my stomach with the fake padding and got 22 inches for each strand. This allowed for me to tie the wire at both ends and to allow extra room to attach them to the dress. I want to say it took me roughly 2.5-3 hours to string these. Time consuming but man does it look pretty when the beads are shining in the sunlight!

I took a guess on the length of the front beads dangling from the center and put them at around 8 inches in length. If they are too long, it is super easy to just wrap the wire around itself to get the length that may or not be needed to be adjusted.
Here is a shot of the belt against the dress. I know the strands need to be spaced out so they loop correctly but for now I just needed a quick shot of it all put together.

The 3D print gems have come along beautifully! After sanding them down, I applied several top coats of polish to give them the shine that they needed to look like actual gemstones. After the clear coats were put on, I added an additional coat of black to make it really pop. Once the paint was dry, I then used hot glue to attach the beads all around the gemstones. I may add one more coat of varnish to the gems to finalize them but overall I am extremely pleased with how they are looking!

Here is a shot of the belt and one of the gemstones together on the dress. I think the size we printed them at is perfect!

I still need to fine tune it a little bit but it's all coming together really well!

For the record, for the belt and gemstones alone, I used 15 strands of 7 inch 4x6 Rondell Crystal beads interspersed with 3.5 packages of black glass and seed beads. Links to what I purchased below. Thank goodness for 50% off coupons! The beads alone were over $60.

These are not the exact beads I purchased as the size is off but they are close (in case anyone else is looking to make this costume!).
http://www.joann.com/strand-3x4mm-roundl-crystl-blk/10913762.html#prefn1=brand&prefn2=refinementColor&prefv1=Darice&prefv2=Blacks&start=1
http://www.joann.com/beaders-paradise-beads-blt-jet-black/7689904.html#prefn1=refinementColor&prefv1=Blacks&start=1

I'll be working and hopefully finishing the necklace today and then I just need to attach everything to the dress.

I ordered extensions with lots of curls and they should also be arriving in the next day or so. Amadalia

Last edited by LeiaAurora () on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: