Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1678aa0835f02fe0bb19bbe4103462bfMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Battlefront Magma Trooper
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Willnaut (Will)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Battlefront Magma Trooper Reply with quote

Hi all!

I just recently joined the forum and am working on my first full Alliance costume. As some of you may have seen in my New Member post, I recently picked up an AN-H-15 helmet and planned on making an Endor Commando outfit. However, I think I have actually decided to work on something a bit more "unique" in appearance: the Rebel Sullust trooper from Dice's Battlefront game.

I am currently researching exactly what needs to go into this costume to make it the best it can be. To my knowledge, only one other member of RL has created this costume before, so I hope to make this an informative and comprehensive thread for anyone else who may be interested in this particular style Rebel uniform.

So far, I have several important notes on the costume's assembly and variants. Pictures will follow just as soon as they are finished uploading, along with their relevant discriptions/details.

Last edited by Willnaut (Will) on Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
Willnaut (Will)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the details I have noticed on the troopers. If you see anything I missed, please speak up! I did not create any of these images, I only aim to use them as references. Sorry in advance for the info dump.

VARIANTS:
I have notice that there are two main variants: a male and female variant. While I see no reason the two couldn't be worn interchangeably, I could not find any instance of that within the game. Each seems to have distinct properties, which I will discuss below.

If you notice, there are a few subtle differences between these two models.

The male variant, also used on male aliens, has a long sleeve jacket with yellow quilting down the majority of the arm. His pants are a loose field pant with what appears to be quilted leather knee pads, and the ends are tucked into short leather combat-style boots. The pocket areas are sown with what might be an additional external pocket or extra padding, or it could just be detailed stitching. The male variant also uses a hardshell backpack similar to that seen on most Endor and Hoth troopers.

The female variant, also used for female aliens, uses a similar "jacket," although this one is more like a vest because has no sleeves. Instead, the female trooper has a relatively tight-fitting brown shirt with long sleeves and a high collar. The quilting on the sleeves of the shirt is slightly different than on the male jacket; it is present just below the shoulders and above the wrists, but the elbow area is exposed. The field pants are a slightly different shade than on the male model, and the leather quilting is on the thigh/pocket area rather than the knees. The female boots also appear to be a riding-style boot or older dress boot with brown piped spats going up to just under the knee. The pants are tucked into the spats.

One interesting note is that the belts face opposite directions on the different gender models. That is to say, the male belt buckles with the excess strap towards the holster, while the female variant is away from the holster. Other than that, the belts appear to be the same rigid gray material fastened by silver cobra-style buckles

DETAILS:
Regardless of gender, the uniforms all have:
-Orange-y leather wrist guards, with a communicator on the left guard.
-Black gloves, probably also leather
-Holster, canteen in pouch, and various other pouches on the belt (all in blue-grey), as well as two metal details which might be shock charges (admittedly, it's been a while since I've played the game).
-Some form of bandolier (or two) with two main setups, as seen below. One holds a radio, a soft pouch or two hard puches, and three grenades; the other has two hard pouches and two to three small charges like the ones on the belt.

Here you can get a good look at the male boots and holster. The holster is almost certainly a WWII Canadian Type I holster meant for the Browning Hi-Power or .38 Smith and Wesson. I purchased said holster at a local surplus store and it appears to be an exact match. You may also notice the grey color of the webbing and belts. Interestingly, the holster has a lower belt for security which is not part of the original Canadian model.

HELMETS:
One of my most interesting finds is in regards to the helmet construction. At first glance, the helmet does appear to be a re-color of the Endor helmet. However, two details stood out to me after closer inspection. First of all, the helmet does not appear to have the ribbed top that is seen on the Endor trooper helmet. This can be seen on the female model above, as well as on the pictures below.

Admittedly, these images aren't the best quality, but similar screen-caps of the Endor model in the game do clearly show the ribbing. Either way, I'll look into it more myself when I have time to log into the game again in a few days.

EDIT: After further inspection, it appears the helmets do have the standard ribbed tops seen on the ERT.

The other notable difference is the back of the helmet. The classic endor helmet has a recessed section in the rear of the helmet with small "vents" on it. The Sullust helmet lacks these vents, however (see below). Once again, I think this is more than an oversight on the developers part since the same vents are clearly modeled on the in-game Endor variants.

Aside from these two discrepancies, the helmets look like the standard AN-H-15 and donut combo.

My current plan is to make my helmet donuts in such a way as to be interchangeable if and when I decide to create an Endor trooper outfit as well. As I mentioned, I already have the holster and the AN-H-15 cap. I'm thinking the other soft garments will have to be hand-tailored. The only parts I am unsure about are the boots. If anyone has any ideas for possible proxies, let me know!

Last edited by Willnaut (Will) on Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
rtdubz (Trey Walker)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go through the game again but I'm 99% sure they have ribbing on top of the helmet, everything else looks like a really good start!

I suggest basing the look of your proposed CRL on the crl of the Tatooine trooper layout between female and male distinction
Willnaut (Will)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtdubz wrote:
I'll go through the game again but I'm 99% sure they have ribbing on top of the helmet, everything else looks like a really good start!

Thanks for the feedback. I went back myself to check, and it turns out you are correct about the ribbing on top. The modelling is just now a pronounced, possibly due to lighting on Sullust. I'll go ahead and update my initial post to reflect this change!

rtdubz wrote:
I suggest basing the look of your proposed CRL on the crl of the Tatooine trooper layout between female and male distinction

Great idea! My ultimate goal is to set up some standards for this (even if nobody makes use of them Laughing). I'll for sure keep this advice in mind going forward.
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know last time we had battlefront troopers on the docket we had quite the discussion about colors.

if we can get the actual colors, RAL or Pantone nailed down early on, it will really help.

NCOIC, "GUNNY" Marine Detachment Barbarossa

Commander, Deep South Mothership, Visitor Fleet.
navarre1095 (CHARLES GRAY)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are going to need views from all sides of each character.

For the aliens we'll have to work something out with the judges on helmets. Skull buckets have always been a point of contention.
Battlefront costumes may be the only way that we can have aliens in R.A.I.D.

A reference to all the pantone colors Like this would be very helpful

Rebel Legion Costumes: Fleet Trooper, Tusken, Old Ben Kenobi, Clone, Malakilli,

501st Costumes: Imperial Navy, Crew, Bantha Rider, Clone, Zuckuss, Snowtrooper, Malakilli, A'sharad Hett

Ordained Priest, Church of the Latter Day Dude
Willnaut (Will)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I'd like to thank all of you for the great feedback you've been providing! This is the first time I've documented a build to this extent, and the tips I have been getting so far have helped a ton.

G'nott sH'urr wrote:
if we can get the actual colors, RAL or Pantone nailed down early on, it will really help.

So I took your advice and over the last hour I have been sifting through dozens of images on my computer. I have come up with this list of possible colors (variants due to lighting are offered when necessary):

Shirt and Jacket
The jacket itself seems to be a slightly more orange version of clay brown (RAL 8003) in most pictures. I have seen images where it looks extremely orange, almost to the point of a dark signal orange (RAL 2010).

The shirt seen on the female model is a sort of fawn brown (RAL 8007), although in some pictures it seems to be a bit "warmer."

Female shirt and vest

The yellow quilting was difficult to pin down because it varies widely based on lighting. However, I have found that it most often seems to resemble maize yellow (RAL 1006) or sun yellow (RAL 1036). In darker/more saturated pictures, the color seems to match pastel orange (RAL 2003), while lighter images almost appear to be golden yellow (RAL 1004) or even lemon yellow (RAL 1012).

Lighter jacket color variant

Darker jacket color variant

Pants
The pants seem to be a base of fawn brown (RAL 8007). While I originally thought the male and female pants were slightly different colors, I have since decided that the apparent difference was due to lighting.

The leather quilting, like the female shirt, seems to be close to fawn brown (RAL 8007), though it too has enough extra "warmth" to differentiate it from the surrounding fabric. This could simply be due to the texture and natural color of leather.

Backpack
The hardshell backpack appears to be nearly identical to the sleeve quilting in some pictures. However, a few images make it clear that the boxes on the pack should actually be noticeably different from the yellow-orange on the sleeves. The best choice I could find was pastel orange (RAL 2003). In pictures with a fairly "average" amount of lighting (i.e. no lava or sun glare, heavy shadows, etc.), pastel orange seems to be an exact match.

Subtle difference in color between sleeves and backpack

Helmet
The donut is between red orange(RAL 2001) and vermillion (RAL 2002). It has a standard silver metal layer that can be glimpsed where the paint has chipped.

The soft cap is the standard cap used in the ERT. I have not noticed any special coloring.

Other Details
The wrist guards match almost perfectly with ochre brown (RAL 8001). This will probably be relatively easy to achieve with leather.

The holster is a specific item issued to the Canadian military in the 1940's. Reproductions should be made of canvas and be of a grey color roughly matching signal grey (RAL 7004) telegrey 1 (RAL 7045).

The webbing is a challenge because the color varies so drastically depending on lighting effects. I originally thought that it was the same color as the holster, but now I believe it is actually either a darker shade of grey (or near-black) or possibly a dark brown. The grenade bandolier is sometimes an off-white and sometimes the darker color noted above.

The pouches match the specific webbing they are attached to. See "webbing" above for guidance on color.

Webbing/pouch coloring

The female boots/spats appear to be a very close color to the base color of the pants. See "pants" above for guidance on color.

EDIT: Added images for important notes

Last edited by Willnaut (Will) on Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
navarre1095 (CHARLES GRAY)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a 3D model of each of these characters already. There should also be a color palette already done somewhere

Rebel Legion Costumes: Fleet Trooper, Tusken, Old Ben Kenobi, Clone, Malakilli,

501st Costumes: Imperial Navy, Crew, Bantha Rider, Clone, Zuckuss, Snowtrooper, Malakilli, A'sharad Hett

Ordained Priest, Church of the Latter Day Dude
Willnaut (Will)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some digging, I was able to find full 360 renderings of both the male and female character models. They don't have color, but I have already made a few more notable discoveries regardless. These images are fairly low-res to conserve space, but I do have the originals saved and can upload them if necessary. I have not been able to find a model with color references, so I will have to make that in photoshop this weekend. I am fairly confident in the colors I came up with, but I would love to have feedback from all of you once I upload the palette.

Male 3D Model

As I had noted previously, The pistol holster is the Canadian Type I, issued during the 1940s. I am now fairly confident that the boots are actually similar to the black Israeli commando boots, if not the very same thing. Whatever the boots are, they have spats over them which completely covers any lacing.

Female 3D Model

Here you can see the outline of the jacket vest very clearly. I would also like to point out that the female variant is not modeled with the canteen seen on the male figure. The holster does appear to be the same thing, however.

Both Sullust uniforms have spats on the boots which cover any exposed lacing (it would be a shame for your shoes to catch fire). There is a seam on the back of the spats that would suggest either zipper or possibly hook-and-loop closure, though the latter seems less likely to me. Regardless of the style of pants, the only obvious stowage seen on the models are two rear pockets. It is still unclear whether the male model has front pockets, though the flatness of the pants in that area suggests that there are none.
Willnaut (Will)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busy weekend but I'm back on track now. I put some of the reference images through photoshop to add the RAL color palette I was working on. Thoughts and comments are welcome as always!

Male:

Female:
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Base Membership Officer

2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all i have to say is WOW.

Ok...that is thorough research, and I applaud you for your efforts.

Given what you have gleaned , have you determined if the donut is the same as the traditional Endor donut, of it is the egg shaped R1 donut? Thats my only real question at this point moving forward.

NCOIC, "GUNNY" Marine Detachment Barbarossa

Commander, Deep South Mothership, Visitor Fleet.
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
Paris Support Badge (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imho....no donut should be round....lol...
the human head is not round but rather it is egg shaped...

I vote for egg shaped..

Wink

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Willnaut (Will)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'nott sH'urr wrote:
all i have to say is WOW.

Ok...that is thorough research, and I applaud you for your efforts.

Given what you have gleaned , have you determined if the donut is the same as the traditional Endor donut, of it is the egg shaped R1 donut? Thats my only real question at this point moving forward.

First of all, thanks for the kind words! It feels good to have a judge validating my research Laughing

As far as the donut shape is concerned, I believe it is the more rounded Endor version. From what I have found, both screencaps of in-game characters and 3D renderings hold true to this appearance. Additionally, Battlefront's Outer Rim DLC (in which Sullust was introduced) was released in April of 2016 - well in advance of the theatrical release of Rogue One. This is on top of the fact that the rebels in Battlefront's Scariff DLC didn't feature this style helmet at all; they were all modeled with the soft caps if I remember correctly. I just don't think the developers would have intentionally made such a relatively minor change and then not make use of it in its "proper" setting.

As far as canon is concerned, the Alliance siege on Sullust took place shortly after the Battle of Hoth. That means these troopers would have been deployed over three years after Rogue One, but only about a year before the Battle of Endor. I know that technically this doesn't prove or disprove the helmet shape, but thematically I think it might suggest these are early versions of those used on Endor, rather than the (by now) outdated models seen in Rogue One.

One important note that I have mentioned before is that the Sullust donut lacks the rear vents seen on the Endor donut. This could show that it is a precursor to the true Endor helmets or a variant meant for volcanic environments... or it could have just been an accident. Either way, it's now a necessary detail to include.

TL;DR
For all intents and purposes, the Sullust headgear looks more like the Endor variant than the Rogue One variant. This is theoretically supported by the release date of the DLC compared to Rogue One, as well as the canonical Star Wars timeline. The Sullust helmet does lack the Endor helmet's rear vents.
Iron Edge (Ian Cook)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic work! From being a big gamer myself and having played the game, Id say I agree these are Endor style buckets as opposed to R1.

roboemma ()
Active Legion Member

2016 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willnaut wrote:
After some digging, I was able to find full 360 renderings of both the male and female character models. They don't have color, but I have already made a few more notable discoveries regardless. These images are fairly low-res to conserve space, but I do have the originals saved and can upload them if necessary. I have not been able to find a model with color references, so I will have to make that in photoshop this weekend. I am fairly confident in the colors I came up with, but I would love to have feedback from all of you once I upload the palette.

Male 3D Model

As I had noted previously, The pistol holster is the Canadian Type I, issued during the 1940s. I am now fairly confident that the boots are actually similar to the black Israeli commando boots, if not the very same thing. Whatever the boots are, they have spats over them which completely covers any lacing.

Female 3D Model

Here you can see the outline of the jacket vest very clearly. I would also like to point out that the female variant is not modeled with the canteen seen on the male figure. The holster does appear to be the same thing, however.

Both Sullust uniforms have spats on the boots which cover any exposed lacing (it would be a shame for your shoes to catch fire). There is a seam on the back of the spats that would suggest either zipper or possibly hook-and-loop closure, though the latter seems less likely to me. Regardless of the style of pants, the only obvious stowage seen on the models are two rear pockets. It is still unclear whether the male model has front pockets, though the flatness of the pants in that area suggests that there are none.

Any chance of getting a higher res version of these? I have started patterning this jacket (for a Shriv costume), and in certain screencaps, I am convinced there is a horizontal seam over the stomach (like where a kangaroo pocket would go) that leads into welt pockets, and I am trying to find a less encumbered photo of the kidney area to check if there is anything else going on. I wanted to cross-check the "standard" version of these jackets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: